Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Carpe Diem
Beginner

Alternatives to flowers for bridesmaids

Carpe Diem, 18 of February of 2013 at 19:37 Posted on Planning 0 9

I am having 1 adult bridesmaid and 2 younger ones aged 10 and 7 years. I am planning on having brooch and fabric flower bouquet for myself but need ideas on what the bridesmaids could carry? I don't really want the traditional flower bouquets as for my experience they get used for the ceremony then put down so seems like a waste of a lot of money and think it might look strange if their flowers arent like mine. I want something that's not going to cost to much either, any ideas?

9 replies

Latest activity by Lemon Violet, 19 of February of 2013 at 14:03
  • Carpe Diem
    Beginner
    Carpe Diem ·
    • Hide content

These are the dresses if this helps at all!

• Pink Han-bag
    Beginner March 2013
    Pink Han-bag ·
    • Hide content

Wands for the little ones? Not sure about the adult

• Mrs Monkey
    Beginner July 2013
    Mrs Monkey ·
    • Hide content

I'm making feather bouquets - I got the idea from this website

http://diy.weddingbee.com/topic/feather-bouquetsflowers-tutorial#axzz2LHu6wj3Q

It doesn't cost much but does take quite a bit of time (and I'm only making three!) Plus now I've got them all I'm really not sure how to put it all together. Feathers are really cheap (pun not intended) I got mine off Amazon.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Giant Lollipops

Vintage fans

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

Is it just flowers you'd like to avoid, or anything that you feel will just be put down and not really used?

For the younger ones, as has been suggested wands might be appropriate, or perhaps small baskets & bags for the older ones?

These are a couple we shot early last year

< full of confetti petals

Still quite floral orientated, but may be slightly more functional?

We've also shot weddings where the little ones have had signs rather than flowers

< "Here comes the bride"

< "And they lived happily ever after"

I've cropped this photo down a lot too from the original so it's a bit clearer, but the little girls here had a single stem, which was like a wand. They looked incredibly sweet!

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

How about just a single stem for the BMs

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

My 2 big ones had handbags and my little ones had draw string dolly bags which I made myself.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

As they are 10 and 7, it depends really on how 'grown up' your 10 year old is as some are almost like teenagers at this age whereas others are still childlike in the nicest sense I mean! So, I think a compromise to the two so one doesn't feel babyish and the other look too old for her years would be a small drawstring (or dolly bag as they are known) or a wand. If you aren't having any flowers in your bouquet, I would steer away from single flowers and go for the metal type wand or heart shaped wand similar to this:-

Another idea would be the wicker hearts with ribbons attached which are sometimes used for hanging over pew/chair ends. These also come in pearl hearts which are a little bit different for them to carry and it's something they can use as a decoration in their bedrooms afterwards. Teddies with a ribbon loops to hold are very popular for the younger children but I feel this may be too young for your 10 year old. The gingham type baskets as shown in the photos earlier are also pretty if you're having a country wedding and can be filled with petals or organza.

• Carpe Diem
    Beginner
    Carpe Diem ·
    • Hide content

Thank you so much everyone for all the wonderful ideas! Have given me loads to think about, will have a look into some of these ideas a bit more I think. I agree that their ages are difficult as song want to treat them like babies! X

• L
    Lemon Violet ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I have a fascinator website, and have a Bridesmaid page with headresses made for me. I can get matching hoops for bridesmaids to hold, and fairy wands. Have a look at my site and give me a ring or email me if you would like some ideas, or if you needed a certain colour.
    Hope that helps,

Lynne

www.weddingfascinator.co.uk

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics