Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner February 2016

Am I being fussy? Seamstress has dogs!

RomanticIvoryDiamonds239, 28 of November of 2015 at 12:52 Posted on Planning 0 15

I picked up my wedding dress just over a week ago. It needs quite a few alterations doing as I'm only 5 foot 1. The seamstress at the bridal shop I bought the dress from is leaving after 12 years so I was given the names for two others to contact, both who work from home.

I have just been to see one this morning. I couldn't believe she has 2 dogs in the room where she had her sewing machine! She made them go outside in the garden whilst I tried my dress on, but there was also a dog basket in the room so they must spend a lot of time in there. I have never had pets, but even if I did, I would not want the chance of getting dog hair on my expensive dress!

I have complained to the lady who owns the bridal shop. Am I being unreasonable? Has anyone else had a similar experience? Worried I have turned into a bridezilla without realising!

Thanks for any comments

15 replies

Latest activity by Jayne E, 30 of November of 2015 at 16:26
  • Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

A tailor I use sometimes has dogs but they are not allowed in his sewing room. I do try on and have any pinning done in the main part of the house and I have never had dog hairs on the finished clothes I have collected. I don't think you are necessarily being a bridezilla to be concerned about whether your dress will end up covered in dog hairs. What about the alternative number the bridal shop gave you.

• E
    Beginner May 2016
    ExpensivePinkCars201 ·
    • Hide content

I don't think it's unreasonable. If, like in Jayne's case the dogs weren't allowed in the sewing room it wouldn't bother me so much but I wouldn't be happy if they were allowed in at any time let alone whilst I had the dress on.

I would try the other number. Is there a seamstress who can visit you in the shop? I'm having my dress stored at the shop in controlled conditions and the seamstress comes in once a week for fittings. I remember your previous post, and I'm really shocked at how you've been treated by this bridal shop!

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I agree with expensivepinkcars. Probably over 90% of dresses need alterations so to give you an expensive dress and basically tell you to go forth and sort it yourself is a bit much.

mine is also being altered by a seamstress at the shop. They make appointments for Saturdays and she comes in and sorts it there.

• R
    Beginner February 2016
    RomanticIvoryDiamonds239 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone. I have asked the bridal shop owner to find out if the other seamstress is pet free, she thinks I am being very unreasonable!

I'm finding the whole experience a bit of a nightmare. When I ordered the dress I too was promised an in-house seamstress etc. I don't really want to be trekking the dress in and out of the car in the winter months visiting a seamstresses house. They haven't even provided a proper dress carrier - it's currently still in the box it was delivered in. When I queried this she said it would be fine!

• E
    Beginner May 2016
    ExpensivePinkCars201 ·
    • Hide content

? they cannot be serious?! Maybe it's time to name and shame them! It seems that now they have your money, they are no longer interested!

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content

I see this 2 ways...

number one (if ive read correctly) you went to this ladys HOME where her pets LIVE and no one has any right to enter your house and dictate about your pets

but

number two as a cat owner I know my two long haired cats coat EVERYTHING they come near (even if its just for a moment) in irremovable fur ? and I wouldn't have my dress anywhere near my own pets let alone a strangers pets

can you get another seemstress instead?

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content

Sorry your being unreasonable this is this woman's home and your basically calling her unprofessional because she has dogs. I strongly doubt she allows them to jump up on gowns, sit on gowns or any of the above - she wouldn't be in business if this was the case so unless your highly allergic to dogs it's kind of bridezilla esk.

I used a home seamstress - she had dogs, my gown remained pristine, she even steamed it for me as she was worried it being in the bag would create a crease, not a hair in sight on my dress and wonderful woman.

• R
    Beginner February 2016
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone for your varied opinions. I have the number for the other recommended seamstress, so hopefully she will be pet free.

With regards to what she can do in her own home, of course she has can have pets. However, this is also her place of business. The dogs were actually in the room where she was altering the dresses. I just don't feel comfortable with it, but I don't have a dog myself. It's the most money I'll ever spend on a dress in my life, I don't want a dog anywhere near it!

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

I think your reaction is a little over the top, to be honest. OH has a dog, and he hardly moults at all except for in summer when it's hot. Just because the dogs were in the room doesn't mean that they are going to go anywhere near the dress, or that the house is covered in hair. If they are the type to moult, the seamstress will be well aware of it and will probably do the same as I do with my cats - hoover and clean everyday. After all, if she was returning gowns covered in dog hair, word would get round and the bridal shop wouldn't exactly want to keep her on their recommended list, would they?

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

My seamstress came recommended by my husband's cousin. She worked from home (and her home was beautiful). It's only that you brought it up that I remember she had a cat. I hadn't thought anything of it, tbh and didn't find any cat hairs on my dress.

If you're uncomfortable then it's your option not to use her and to find an alternative.

Also, the shop should put your dress in a dress bag and hang it up so some of the wrinkles can fall out. They won't all fall out until it's steamed/pressed, but it helps so it drapes properly when the alterations are being done. My seamstress actually gave me a larger bag because she was worried about it having enough room. She also harassed me about finding a good bridal dress steamer/presser as I had my alterations done in Perth but was getting married in Canberra - so the dress needed to be steamed/pressed to ensure it looked its best.

A good seamstress is amazing.

• Karen84
    Beginner July 2016
    Karen84 ·
    • Hide content

I don't know if I would go to the effort of complaining, but I would quietly look elsewhere. I have a dog and I know what a nightmare it is trying to get rid of pet hair. Fair enough her having dogs in the house but I wouldn't be happy about them spending time in the room where she does the alterations.

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrs-Riley ·
    • Hide content

I see how this has made you a little wary of her services, but don't think you have grounds to complain properly about it- as per a previous poster, I'd probably just look quietly elsewhere.

If the woman's home was covered in dog hair and smelt like dogs, I'd agree with you, but a lot of people have dogs and their houses are fine.

It's a shame that the service you've received from this bridal shop isn't up to scratch though! If I was paying a lot of money for a dress, I would want them to provide the service in house and look after me each and every step of the way. I bought my dress from an outlet store, and although they didn't offer an in-house seamstress service, they did have a seamstress who talked you through any alterations and gave you a list of their approved suppliers.

What a shame.

• R
    Beginner February 2016
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone for your comments and advice. I spoke to the other recommended seamstress today and she too has pets but they are never in the room where she does the alterations. She has offered to come to my house for the first fitting too which is nice. So hopefully all will work out well.

I am still not happy with the service I have received from the bridal shop though....but hopefully I will only ever need one wedding dress and never have to use them again!

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't be happy with the bridal shop either. And seeing as you have nothing to lose I would make it quite clear to them that you are not happy with them. I would put in a complaint and unless you get some joy I would name and shame. You spent a LOT of money with them and had no customer service.

• R
    Beginner February 2016
    • Hide content

I will wait until after the wedding! They won't be getting a good review from me. They are still going to steam the dress after the alterations, I don't want anything going wrong there!

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

No wait until you are done with them! You have already said you weren't happy so it's not going to come as a big surprise to get a complaint and possibly bad reviews.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics