Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner August 2015

Am I being unreasonable?

mrs_w_to_be, 3 of January of 2015 at 21:38 Posted on Planning 0 5

Sorry if this is a bit of a rant! After getting engaged in September 2013, my fiancé and I booked our wedding last July for August 28th this year. A few weeks after we booked everything, my older sister got engaged. I was really happy and excited for her, and even though I never asked her to she told me that she wouldn't dream of getting married before me because my wedding was already booked etc etc. She said she wanted a winter wedding so was looking at Feb 2016, 6 months after me

A few weeks later, she called me to say the venue she liked had a special offer for Feb this year and would I mind if she booked it, she even said "even though it's before you the two weddings are 6 months apart so it shouldn't affect you". I told her this was fine. She didn't book this and instead announced a few weeks later that they'd actually decided to get married FIVE WEEKS before me, in Spain. I'm not going to lie, I was a bit annoyed, especially because she knew I wanted to use my entire annual leave from work for our honeymoon and go away for 4 weeks, and now I couldn't because I needed more time off to go to Spain for her wedding. But I never said anything, I didn't want to sound petty so we just dealt with it. I should point out she did offer to pay for me and my fiancé to go to her wedding because it was so close to ours funds would be tight (they earn a lot more than us!) which I thought was very nice of her and we were grateful for this

Now despite the fact I'd told everyone our wedding date before my sister even got engaged, two of my half sisters have now told my parents (but haven't bothered to tell me) that they probably won't go to my wedding because they are going to my sister's and won't be able to get enough time off work for both. Understandably, this upset me a little bit. Also, I don't mean to sound petty, but with my sister's wedding being first it's almost like mine isn't happening. Because all anyone is talking about is my sister's, maybe when that's over I will have five weeks of my family showing an interest in mine, but she's had a year. Again, I haven't wanted to say that out loud incase it sounds childish and spoilt so I've kept my mouth shut

This week I decided to start planning my hen do. Bearing in mind, when I got engaged I asked my sister to be my MOH. When she got engaged, she told me she wasn't having a MOH because she has two step-daughters so it wouldn't be fair. Again, I was fine with this. She also said she didn't want a hen do, and I realised she wouldn't be planning mine for me or doing any real MOH duties because she'd be too busy planning her own wedding. Again, no problem.

I'd always wanted to go abroad for my hen do and never made a secret of this. I decided I would have my hen do in May because it would be too much having it closer to the two weddings. I thought this would be fine. Then first of all my sister said she might not come because she's got too much going on and "hen dos aren't really her thing". My mum then said she doesn't think she can because "it's all just more money and they need to save for Spain for my sister's wedding". My hen do is £180 for 4 days all inclusive, I even offered to pay for her but she says she thinks I should just not bother and save the money. Save it for Spain presumably. I don't mean to sound like a brat but I just feel like screaming at them - I didn't ask my sister to plan a wedding abroad five weeks before mine!!

Am I being over sensitive or would anyone else be getting fed up at this point?

5 replies

Latest activity by MissExcited, 4 of January of 2015 at 11:05
  • bubblerawk
    Beginner July 2016
    bubblerawk ·
    • Hide content

Id feel the same and i dont think your being petty, 5 weeks is nothing especially if her wedding is abroad.

did she say why she booked it 5 weeks before yours, was there a reason to it or was it just a random date.

are you close to your sister? could you sit down and talk or would that cause too many issues?

a family member of mine recently got engaged after being together 1 month, a part of me thinks if they get married before me i'll be so annoyed..its like the lime light is being taken off you and put onto someone else. i wouldnt dream of booking a wedding near another family members, maybe im selfish but id want all the attention lol Smiley smile

is your wedding abroad to tbh, if not, i dont understand why your sisters wouldnt go.

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    mrs_w_to_be ·
    • Hide content

No real reason really... She just decided she wanted to do it in Spain when the weather was nice and she didn't want to wait another year. I would never have done that to her or anyone, but as I said I just let it go. I should have spoke to her before about it really because it's too late now, even if she did care how much it's upset me everything for both weddings is all booked and paid for

My wedding is in this country - I think it's a bit of a joke that my half sisters can take a week off work to go to Spain for my sister's wedding but can't take a day off to come to mine? Apparently they have no holidays left (we get married on a Friday). Neither me or my sister are particularly close to our half sisters so when I speak to my parents they just say they don't see why I'm bothered because I won't miss them on the day. But it's still a bit hurtful!

But more than anything I'm just upset about my mum and my sister. As I said I feel like my wedding isn't important because hers is first, hers is abroad, hers is costing a lot more etc, so they just seem to forget I'm getting married too! All I ever hear from my mum is how we shouldn't do this and that because we've all got to save for Spain. Like I wanted my sister to do this! If I'd known she was going to I would have changed our date before it was too late. I'm just feeling really down about it and even more so because none of my family seem to get it at all?!

Thanks

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content

By the sounds of it you have reached boiling point with this and I don't blame you I would be annoyed too.

There is not a lot you can do about the dates but I would probably sit your mum down and explain in a calm way that you really wish for her to attend your hen do, it means a lot to you and although your sisters wedding is important she is not the only member of the family getting married.

I think your sister may be offering to pay for you guys as a certain part of her knows what she is doing is insensitive - I would say to her that you needed some help with some of your wedding stuff and see what she says.

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

I'm impressed you havent boiled over and had a complete rant by now to be honest! I think you should sit your mum and sister down and explain that, although you're very happy for your sister, you are upset that your wedding has become second best. I felt bad enough when I moved my wedding to 3 months before my best friends (we had good reasons) they got engaged about 4 weeks before us and I didnt wanna steal her thunder, despite a zero percent guest overlap,and I asked her if it was ok. Don't suffer in silence, it'll make you bitter about it

• M
    Beginner June 2015
    MissExcited ·
    • Hide content

I'd be mad if my sister did that to me. I'm getting married exactly 12 months after my sister did so she had 2014 all to herself. However one of my closest friends got engaged last Feb and had set her date for July this year. Then I got engaged a few months after her and had beginning of June in mind (it's actually my 30th birthday then!). I've always thought I'd be married with kids by the time I turn 30 and am really dreading my upcoming birthday (it's pathetic, I know. But it means a lot to me to achieve one thing I set out to do). I explained it to my friend and asked her if she was ok for me to get married before her on my special birthday. I would have never booked it if she felt upset about it. She gave me the green light and said she was excited to be able to share this experience with me. So now our weddings are 6 weeks apart and we're each other's bridesmaids! It's a different situation than yours; we don't share any common family guests.

I just hope you can sort things out with your sister and mum. You shouldn't need to miss out on a hen do. I would let your sister pay for your mum to go to her wedding so she can make it to your hen do. You two only get married once! But I can definitely see why you're pissed off about your sister not checking with you about booking her wedding so close to yours. I wonder if she subconsciously did it because she's the older sister and wanted to get married before you? Either way the damage has been done.

If guests like your half-sisters don't bother, their loss! People who love will do anything to celebrate with you. Look at it this way, you have less people to pay for now Smiley winking.

If it's too late to change date or venue, then just try and enjoy the rest of your special moment. It goes so quick... Make the most of it. Your wedding will be amazing no matter what. Use your positive energy and focus on your big day. Good luck!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics