Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Am I huge snob?!

15 July, 2012 at 17:56 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 16

I'm in a very bad mood. We are lucky enough to have a beach hut (inherited through the family) which we had to pop down to this afternoon to pick up a few things we'd left there last time. We decided to stop off at the shop beforehand and buy a few papers, water, sweets etc, general stuff for a nice relaxing few hours by the water.

Wrong.

When we got there it was relatively busy as obviously today is the first time the sun has decided to show itself in a while. We got ourselves all nice and comfy and settled down for an hour or so of peace.

Wrong again.

A family of about 10 people arrived, parked themselves less that 15ft from our hut, started a game of rounders then started shouting at each other as if they were at opposite ends of Wembley stadium. Their ball kept whacking our hut, with no apology or even acknowledgement. Why is it that so many people, particularly men, seem to find it utterly impossible to sit down, relax and shut up when they're in the great outdoors? Presumably they manage to do it at home.

Whatever happened to consideration for other people? This kind of thing happens almost every time we go there in the day time - it's got the point where we take dinner down there and end up staying down there until 11pm-ish, just to enjoy the peace and quiet.

People seem to be totally incapable of just relaxing quietly in the fresh air, they always seem to need to make some kind of noise, like monkeys in a zoo. It definitely seems to be men that are the worst. In the end I gave up trying to read the paper and we just went home.

Am I an unreasonable snob?

16 replies

Latest activity by *Mini*, 16 July, 2012 at 08:06
  • jen_84
    Beginner August 2012
    jen_84 ·
    • Hide content

Hmmm, I think if there was plenty of space and it was obvious that you were wanting some peace and quiet then they should have set up further from you. They should definitely have apologised for hitting the beach hut and considered moving after that as where that obviously wasn't the best position to be in. However, in my mind, they are just as entitled to enjoy the great outdoors in the way that they get the most enjoyment out of it and if that's playing a game of rounders, and shouting and calling to each other, then that's their right IMO. We often do things like this when at a park and actually my OH finds it way more relaxing running around instead of sitting down reading as he gets too fidgety and agitated when he sits still. I like a mix of both depending on my mood!

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

Tbh, yes, just a tad.
    If I went to the beach, it wouldn't be to sit and read a paper, it would be to have fun. I could read at home if I wanted peace.

Not saying sorry for the ball whacking the hut is annoying though, yes.

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

Yes you are being a mizog I'm afraid. I'm actually shocked that you expect people to be quiet on the beach.

• Ice Queen
    Beginner January 2007
    Ice Queen ·
    • Hide content

Sorry yes you are

Most people go to the beach to have fun, run around with the kids, let off some steam. I think in the UK it is quite unusual to go just to relax and read

• jen_84
    Beginner August 2012
    jen_84 ·
    • Hide content

But if you are playing sport and you are into the game, you do tend to shout even if ther person you are shouting at is close by. It just adds to the atmosphere if everyone is a bit excited and egging or cheering each other on.

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

? They were playing rounders!!

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

Yep still a mizog I'm afraid.

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

The ball hitting the hut would p!ss me off. My H would tell them to move away from the hut, but noise I expect.

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

Unless you own the part of the beach they were playing on, they had as much right to play rounders as you had to read your papers.

Whatever next? Someone in a 'playing football in the park' shocker?

• Tizzie
    Beginner June 2012
    Tizzie ·
    • Hide content

No, I really don't think you are.

I agree that you cant stop them from playing games and it is expected there would be some noise on a beach, however you have as much right as them to sit and enjoy yourselves, for those who say they would stay home and read or wouldn't read at the beach, some people choose to, a beach isnt JUST for playing games. I personally enjoy reading when i'm at the beach, but enjoy playing games too.

If i was with a group of people playing a game, i would not choose to play near a beach hut, especially not if there were people there. I would choose somewhere else so we could run around and make noise without bugging people. The same way (if i didn't have a hut, which i don't unfortunately!!) I wouldnt choose to sit and read or expect peace next to people playing a game. I also think not apologising for the ball is bad manners.

I think people have no common courtesy now its all just 'we have as much right as you' which, as true as it is, there's nothing to say you cant just have some common sense and basic manners!

Sorry for a rant Jojo!! Bad manners really irritate me!

• Figs
    Beginner June 2012
    Figs ·
    • Hide content

I hate this too. If we were going somewhere for a noisy game of rounders, we wouldn't set up game next to the quiet people trying to read. It's just general politeness and consideration. But then more and more people seem not to give a sh1t about anyone else anymore. H has even less patience for inconsiderate people than I do. He would have tossed their ball into the sea if it had been our beach hut being whacked!

As a slight deviation, I also get really annoyed when I'm on a train or a bus that has a lot of empty double seats, but someone decides to plonk themselves in the seat right next to me. Go away!!!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

I would have been annoyed with the ball whacking the beach hut and def if people are shouting etc. I would go to the beach to chill out and read etc,playing rounders would be my idea of hell so can get where you are coming from.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics