Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner October 2012

Am I leaving it too late?

Snowberry, 19 June, 2011 at 15:29 Posted on Planning 0 11

We have just set a date of 23rd August 2012 and so have nothing other than a venue! I was just talking to a friend who said alot of bridal shops she went to said they needed at least a year to get the dress in!

Is our date too early for me to be able to find "the" dress? I know what style I want but I also know I need to find it under budget as I cannot go over £800 for a dress!

ETA- has anyone been to one of these and what was it like- http://www.theweddingsale.com/

11 replies

Latest activity by SoontobeMrsB, 19 June, 2011 at 20:30
  • Tray1980
    Beginner July 2013
    Tray1980 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would try searching for sample sales, or go to a couple of shops - find something you like and look on sites like preloved

• pink1908
    Beginner September 2011
    pink1908 ·
    • Hide content

Not at all....

We got engaged in Nov 2010 and getting married Aug this year, we didnt even decide to get married this year until just before xmas, and then all the bridal shops were closed till Jan so i didnt even start looking till then...

Yes some dresses to take longer to order/come in. But you have plenty of time!! my step sister and cousin are both getting married in Aug 2012 and have yet to try any dresses on!! Smiley smile

Stop worrying and enjoy it, trying on dresses is amazing xxx

• raincloud
    Beginner August 2011
    raincloud ·
    • Hide content

I ordered a dress and it came in 4 months, so I would say you have plenty of time. If you know what you want google it and you may find one second hand or sample. I googled the designer of my dress and found a shop doing a 40% discount on that designer so I got my dress from there. Cheaper than anywhere else even once petrol was added in.

• Bittersweet
    Beginner June 2012
    Bittersweet ·
    • Hide content

I shouldn't see why it would be too late to order a dress now for Next August. Mine is taking 6 months to order, so I would say you have plenty of time. There are a range of shops that sell dresses under £800. I got a discount on mine and got 10% off and many shops have clearance sales, especially when they are getting rid of the older stock, ready for the new stuff.

Just look around and see what's about, definitely worth looking now for something that you want.

• em rose
    Beginner August 2011
    em rose ·
    • Hide content

No!! I found my dress and paid the deposit 7th may 2011 and I get married 28th Aug 2011! Its a close call and I'm having my fittings in quite quick succesion but it adds to the excitment! I suppose it does depend on the shop but I think you'll fine xx

• Dovercb
    Dovercb ·
    • Hide content

A year?! Wow glad I dont use those suppliers!

normal delivery is around 20 - 24 weeks and i can get some dresses in 4 weeks if i need to!!

Just start looking now and it gives everyone time, and you dont have to pay any rush charges.

Good luck!

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

I was told the same as you, so I thought I better start looking early in case it takes some time to find the right one, then order it etc etc.... I started looking in Feb - and found my dress almost immediately! I don't need to do anything now til Jan when they will take measurements and get mine sorted, that is also for August 2012. So just go with whatever feels right and don't be panicked into doing anything. Oh and mine was £800 to start with, it will be slightly more as I am having some extra detail added to the back.

• S
    Beginner October 2012
    Snowberry ·
    • Hide content

Thanks. Hoping to have the venue and registrar confirmed on Monday but am going on holiday for 2 weeks in July so wasnt going to start dress shopping until after that as I am booked up every weekend before we go away!

• SoontobeMrsB
    Beginner October 2011
    SoontobeMrsB ·
    • Hide content

Just to reassure you, you're definitely not leaving it too late. We set a date in January this year for the end of October. I ordered my dress at the beginning of March (and it's costing £800 too). The bridal shops I visited told me that I should leave at least 6 months for ordering. Mine's a Maggie Sottero and I'm not sure whether they're made in the US or China but it's definitely not the UK and it's due in at the beginning of September.

A friend of mine had a Vera Wang wedding dress and I don't think she ordered any more than 6 months ahead.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics