Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Curious October 2021 Berkshire

Am i mad to be thinking of making my own cake?

Andrea, 23 of April of 2021 at 11:12 Posted on Planning 0 4

Hi all,

I am a keen baker and have done a wedding cake decorating course (4 years ago now!) and have bought a refresher online course and I am seriously considering making our wedding cake. Am I crazy?

I am planning a few trial runs to check my skills are up to scratch and to trial flavours, the wedding is towards the end of October. I have the 10 days before our wedding booked off work so I should have ample time and I can always make the sponge ahead of time and freeze it. The design I want is not complicated and my Mum makes amazing sugar flowers and would be making them for me no matter who makes the cake.

I have not found a local cake maker who's work is up to the standard I would want and my feeling is that if I make the cake and its not quite perfect that is less of an issue than if I pay someone who then delivers a less than perfect cake. But I am also concerned that this may be too much stress for me to take on, I'd love your thoughts on the matter.

4 replies

Latest activity by Ben, 7 of May of 2021 at 12:25
  • April21Bride
    Rockstar July 2021 West London
    April21Bride ·
    • Hide content
    My cake maker is getting married next year and making her own 6-tier cake. She says it’s therapeutic and she’s guaranteed thinking time away from people in the lead up to her 400 people strong wedding.

If you feel confident taking it on then go ahead. Best case it’s amazing and you’ve saved some money. Worst case you’ve saved some money and had an extra special element to your day. Good luck x
  • A
    Andrea ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you, I personally think having 400 people at my wedding would be more stressful than making the cake! But that's just me, I'm sure your cake maker will love her wedding.

I think I'll feel better, or at least more sure either way, after a test run. Its my Dad's birthday next week and I'm making my first test cake for him.

• E
    Dedicated October 2022 East London
    Ebony ·
    • Hide content
    I'm allergic to gluten and its extremely difficult to find good cakes. If I weren't getting married abroad I'd definitely make my wedding cake. Like one of thd posts mentioned I find baking very therapeutic but not sure I could make enough for 400 people ?
  • A
    Andrea ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    My fiancé's niece is also allergic to gluten, I am hoping to make the top tier gluten free, would just need to be super clear to the venue about avoiding cross contamination when slicing the cake. I've got a great carrot cake recipe that I think should adapt to gluten free quite well ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics