Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Polkadots_and_Pincurls
Beginner June 2015

Am I odd, lol? Hen party opinions

Polkadots_and_Pincurls, 11 of September of 2012 at 13:37 Posted on Planning 0 59

I was reading another post about hen parties, and it just struck me that I must be a little odd, lol. There were so many lovely brides saying they are going on big nights out, big drinking weekends, etc, and all my married friends had girl's weekends full of pure drink and penis-paraphernalia, lol- I know it's bad for a 26 year old, but I can't think of anything worse for me! Don't get me wrong, I definitly am not looking down on anyone who have that for their hen night, I think it's great for you if that's what you enjoy. And I love a good night out, but my SIL keeps saying she wants to plan me a surprise hen night with all the tacky trimmings, and the idea terrifies me! Am I strange? I think I must be a bit of a prude as all the hen party willy stuff does make me shudder, lol. I would really just want a weekend at a gorgeous spa hotel with a few friends, but does that make me boring? Smiley sad

I guess I just wanted to know if there were any hitchers who share my opinion, so I don't feel so boring!

59 replies

Latest activity by rubyfirecracker, 22 of September of 2012 at 01:19
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Me! We hired two cottages in the Peak District and our "activities" included making pizzas, making cocktails, rambling to a real ale pub, having a BBQ, having a quiz and some Playstation-based karaoke. There were little traditional hen gifts and a few dares but that was it. Nobody, as far as I can tell wore any make-up nor any heels for the entire weekend Smiley smile

In his speech, Boy credited it as "the most middle-class hen do he'd ever heard of".

• porkchop
    Beginner September 2012
    porkchop ·
    • Hide content

You arent odd! Mine was coastering and zip wire in the day, and a nice meal in the evening - not a penis in sight!!

On the flip side my friends hen do 3 weeks later was a full weekend away with penis' everywhere you looked - whatever makes you happy! ;-)

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My weekend hen was like this. Although we did have a 'make a wedding dress out of tin foil' competition. That was fun. People were mostly in swimwear as we had a pool, hot tub and sauna.

I did have a tacky night out too though!

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

Not at all! The last thing I wanted was a stripper, veil and L plates. I did get willy straws though. If you don't want it then say so, it's your hen and you have to enjoy it.

• katiechops
    Beginner June 2013
    katiechops ·
    • Hide content

All these hen do's sound lovely. That's the sort of thing I want to do too. Sounds like loads of fun. For me its previous girly time :-)

• kimyang1
    Beginner May 2014
    kimyang1 ·
    • Hide content

This sounds exactly like the hen do I have been instructed to organise for my soon-to-be sis in law, and it sounds great! I would like something like that for mine too, which will be about 6 months later.

• LauraC2B*2013
    Beginner June 2013
    LauraC2B*2013 ·
    • Hide content

I've been very clear with my MOH that will be no strippers, penis's or L plates anywehre near my hen night. We are hiring a big house in bournemouth, having a slumper party on the friday night the polayuing laser quest and going to a comedy club on the saturday with a bit of clubbing afterwards but nothing wild. Then a nice pub lunch or day at the seaside depending on weather. I did want a spa break but not many of my friends could afford it and as i live in another country i wanted all my friends to come along.

• Red August
    Beginner August 2013
    Red August ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS

My hen night will be 3 nights in benedorm but that's just because I've never really been abroard or done the girly holiday thing, the only thing I've put my foot down on is a stripper, I would be mortified and probably leave the room to cry lol, just pleased my MOH who is arranging it feels the same way phew.

• ladyworm
    Beginner October 2012
    ladyworm ·
    • Hide content

You're not strange at all! I came home from my hen weekend on Sunday an it was exactly like I wanted. Four of us went to York, rented a house by the river, drank a few cocktails, did a chocolate making class, some shopping and ate some lovely food. The main thing I wanted was a weekend where everyone did things they wanted, nice and relaxing and not all 'me me me'! And thankfully there were no veils, L plates, sashes, matching t shirts, rounds of sambucca, strippers or butler's in the buff. The weather was fantastic, and it was perfect!

• Agouti
    Beginner September 2013
    Agouti ·
    • Hide content

Not odd at all! In fact the three hen parties I've been to recently have all been willy-free ?

I'm even more boring - I don't want a hen party! I just know I would absolutely hate having one!

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

Me also!

Ive just been told about a chocolate making workshop with treasure hunt and afternoon tea and it sounds to die for.

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

My sister had exactly that for her hen night - a lovely spa retreat with treatments and a meal. No willy straws or inflatable cocks - and it was just as good as a p1ss up!

• F
    Beginner November 2013
    FutureBright ·
    • Hide content

I am the same I want a quiet meal with all my friends and family. I am not a drinker, and when I do drink I get tipsy very easily. I want to remember the night but I have had good messy nights. Everyone to their own.

• FaeBelle13
    Beginner April 2013
    FaeBelle13 ·
    • Hide content

I want both, I'm planning on some fun activity in the day, then a willy filled night out in the evening, people can pick and chose which part they want to join in with, and I get to do both. But I certainly don't think your strange, plastic willys and L plates aren't for everyone!

• Selenalee69
    Beginner April 2013
    Selenalee69 ·
    • Hide content

I'd prefer something a bit more subdued- I don't mind a bit of willyness but not in public,lol ! The thought of having to parade around in a veil and L-Plates fills me with dread...but I still hav'nt made up my mind what I'm doing yet!

• B
    Beginner November 2013
    Bathsheeba ·
    • Hide content

I'm big into the fetish scene and work part time in the adult entertainment industry (no, I'm not what you're thinking!!) so I'm clearly far from a prude but the idea of giant inflatable penis prizes and pink, fluffy, tacky crap makes me feel physically queesy.

Each to their own but it's really, REALLY not me at all and my moh keeps teasing that she'll have at least one pink fluffy thing and I really hope that she "gets me" when I explain that it's a plain NO.

My idea is that we'll spend the evening at my house with lots of alcohol and play drinking games along to various films. Then the next day when we roll out of bed around 12 we get refreshed and go for lunch, followed by bowling and arcades, then a casual night out but not a late one. Then on Sunday my uncle is coming round to give everyone reiki massages as he's a professional.

I've made sure that there's no girly stuff mainly because it's not my style and two of my bridesmaids are male. Smiley smile

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Me! I wanted a nice evening out having dinner and a theatre trip, which is what I had. The girls from work pimped it up a bit and we went out to a late night bar afterwards, but no penises, handcuffs, L plates etc. I did accept sashes and pink balloons, but anything else was banned!

• V
    Beginner April 2013
    Vintage84 ·
    • Hide content

I'm booked my do through Orchid City & Spa (apologies if I'm not supposed to name companies). Staying in a 4* spa hotel & going for a nice meal in the evening. My MOH is under strict instructions not to end my night in a club because I hate them & tend to have panic attacks in crowds (especially after a few drinks!)

• Nicola_84uk
    Beginner October 2013
    Nicola_84uk ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This all sounds perfect to me. A bit of middle-class drunkeness and then a good night out filled with lots of dancing. (No penis related items allowed though)

• J
    Beginner August 2013
    Jessie_bride ·
    • Hide content

I personally wouldn't want a stripper, L plates, t-shirts etc but I think it's odd to have a hen do you don't want! I had to tell a BM in no uncertain terms if she brought along a stripper I'd be upset, I'm happy to do it for her hen when it's hers, but I don't fancy it!

• B
    Beginner November 2013
    Bathsheeba ·
    • Hide content

I find most male strippers look cheesy, unattractive and generally quite greasy and unappealing so I wouldn't want one either.

• Disneynut14
    Beginner July 2014
    Disneynut14 ·
    • Hide content

I feel the same way! Quite a way off yet but we're thinking of having a nice afternoon tea somewhere and maybe some time in a spa. Just nice and quiet and relaxing. The dreaded L plates and inflatables fill me with fear!

• snow-woman
    Beginner April 2013
    snow-woman ·
    • Hide content

You're not odd at all! I have no idea what I'm doing (BMs have organised it all!) but I know it won't involve strippers, L Plates, willy straws, veils etc. It's the only thing I've stressed about it, the rest is up to them (and I trust them to stick to it - CBM said the same for her hen and we abided by her wishes and had an amazing time). My only concern is my work colleagues want a night out with me before the wedding and judging by what they did to another girl in the summer I need to be afraid!

• jen_84
    Beginner August 2012
    jen_84 ·
    • Hide content

My MOH hired a converted barn in the middle of nowhere and we played games (she got ones from my childhood and some more traditional hen ones), watched girlie films, painted nails, and she organised a lady to come and paint pottery with us. It was perfect for me and I actually had a number of friends tell me they were rethinking what they would like to do for their hens when their time comes as they said it was nice being able to enjoy the whole weekend without being hungover! You're not odd at all for not wanting a big night out!

• C
    Beginner March 2013
    ClairNicholls ·
    • Hide content

I just put the laptop on to find ideas for my hen night. Thank you so much everyone, I no longer feel wrong by NOT wanting a big night on the tiles!! Love the idea of renting somewhere to stay and just discovering the area, eating good food and just a few drinks. I'm not a big drinker, but some of my friends are - well, it's my hen and I'll do as I please! (sounds a bit bridezilla!)

• B
    Beginner September 2013
    Blondilocks ·
    • Hide content

I don't think you're odd at all. Loads of great ideas here!

I've only been to one hen do and there were lots of plastic penises & penis related games, which wasn't too bad as we were in a pub in a private room. No stripper either which was great! They had a nice meal & played some games and quizzes about the bride and groom.

For mine I'd like something in the day or early evening so my teenage but under 18 daughter can take part plus other female relatives who are older or don't drink or go out late can all come along. I still like a night out so wouldn't mind ending up in a club. I haven't spoken to my older bridesmaid about the hen do yet or really thought about it but intend to have a big say in it. Daughter has said hen do at a theme park or go ape - do like that idea other than it still not being any good for older relatives! Spa wouldn't go down well with everyone I want to go but I do like that idea. I will revisit this topic in due course!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No no - my 'tacky' night out was a 50s themed night out with karaoke and a meal. No strippers or anything vomit inducing.

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I share your opinion too. I didn't want costumes, L plates and a drunken night out. It is my 2nd wedding and I don't tend to have nights out like that anymore anyway so we booked an afternoon cream tea, river cruise, Hen games in a private section of a bar followed by limo bus for an hour (complete with bubbly and a pole but in private). We finished the night at a lovely restaurant where more friends joined us for dinner.

It was just what I wanted and really enjoyable.

• ButterflyChild
    Beginner May 2013
    ButterflyChild ·
    • Hide content

It's not odd at all!

Im also 26 and not wanting any of the usual penis shaped paraphernalia, I just want a couple of days to chill out at a hotel with a spa, some cocktails, good food and company Smiley smile

• Chickster
    Beginner August 2013
    Chickster ·
    • Hide content

I've already said to my CB and other BM's that I don't want any blow up penises, L plates, veils, hen do sashes or any of that stuff and if a stripper turns up I'll refuse to take part! I don't mind willy straws with our cocktails but that is as far as it goes!

We are thinking of going sailing for my hen do - cant wait!

• Zoomo13
    Beginner August 2015
    Zoomo13 ·
    • Hide content

Im the same as you, however i have decided to have 2 hen do's, one we will be doing hte night out but not too tacky i have warned them and 2nd which is my choice when OH is on his stag do i am going to have a tea party at my house for all the ladies and our mums as they wont come ot the night out

• M
    Beginner September 2013
    MrsB2013 ·
    • Hide content

Ive been on hen weekends of pure drinking and I honestly cant do that for two nights anymore and only 29! For my hen wend we have hired a cottage for the wend - Friday we are staying in with some drinks/food and im sure games then sat we are heading out and Im sure i will be tacked up but that doesnt bother me.

I have though said no strippers for me or I will walk out - not me at all !

It would be boring if everyone had the same anyway so as long as you have fun then thats all that matters. x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics