Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

P
Beginner July 2013

Am I supposed to haggle over my wedding ring??

PaintedHales, 19 April, 2013 at 09:26 Posted on Planning 0 15

So I am going tomorrow to get my wedding ring and am just wondering if I am supposed to haggle - monty python style (a grand for that you must be mad!!) ? I'm having it done by a jewellers in Hatton Garden and whenever I see stuff like that on the telly - people try and get them down on the price. My Dad also says I should haggle but he probably haggles in Tesco. Is this the right thing to do or will I look like an a***hole?

I'm going to have to have it made becasue I've got a big marquise diamond on my engagement ring so my wedding band has to be made to fit around it. The shop I liked best quoted 1300 quid about a month ago. This is for white gold and diamonds in the band. Does this seem reasonable?

15 replies

Latest activity by cherrybloom, 21 April, 2013 at 21:57
  • N
    Beginner July 2014
    neo_kat26 ·
    • Hide content

I'd say haggle! I'm trying to haggle for everything! I hate doing it but I keep thinking I am unlikely to ever see these people again and I remind myself that they want my business and so they should be fighting for it. What have you got to lose??

• F
    Beginner August 2013
    FMG ·
    • Hide content

We got £150 off by haggling and paying in cash at the Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham, it's worth a try, if you are prepared to pay full price anyway then what have you got to loose?

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

Yes haggle! We did.

We paid £900 for both my platinum ring with diamonds and H's palladium ring in Hatton Gardens. So £1300 for one ring seems quite a lot.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

I've always been really uncomfortable with haggling, but if you're confident enough to do it, then you've got nothing to lose - although be polite.

We got a bit of a discount on our wedding rings as H had bought my engagement ring there, and he buys a lot of my birthday/Christmas presents there. It was a local jeweller and I think you'll have more luck with an independent than a chain.

• P
    Beginner July 2013
    PaintedHales ·
    • Hide content

Oh good!! I will haggle away then. I am determined to come away with a ring for a fiver and a packet of hobnobs!

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Don't haggle like you're in a Moroccan souk, but definitely ask for a discount. I got my wedding ring reduced from £2400 to £1500 simply because OH said the initial price was out of budget, and didn't accept the initial offer of 20% discount either!

• amihohu
    Beginner September 2013
    amihohu ·
    • Hide content

I would definitely give it a go. I got my platinum weddng ring with diamonds from 1200 down to 800 at the jewellery quarter in Brum and another 200 off H2Bs palladium ring. Smiley smile 1300 does sound quite pricey for a gold ring, but I know having it custom made will add a chunk onto the price.

• P
    Beginner July 2013
    PaintedHales ·
    • Hide content

This is very encouraging. We only want my ring cus H2B has found the one he wants online for £40!!! I have told him not to come crying to me when his finger turns green. Still, more money for me to spend on pretty nonsense I suppose. I will try and keep the haggling respectable and not get too carried away.

• P
    Beginner July 2013
    PaintedHales ·
    • Hide content

I wish I could go Jewellery Quarter, I'm from Brum and would be much more at home. Alas I live in London now and I just can't fit in another journey home between now and the wedding. I'll just have to haggle with these cockneys. Smiley smile

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

Haha sorry I laughed when you said your dad probably haggles in Tesco. That got me ?

• B
    Beginner June 2014
    Babbo ·
    • Hide content

If you do not try you will never know ;-)

• Italybride14
    Beginner May 2014
    Italybride14 ·
    • Hide content

I want a platinum band with diamonds and your £1400 quote made me panic! I'm sure you can get it cheaper. I had my engagement ring made in hatten garden and has 10 diamonds in the shoulders (plus the beast in the centre!!). The price excluding the main diamond was £400 so I'm not expecting to spend more than £800. Having said that, it is a friend of a friend!

• P
    Beginner July 2013
    PaintedHales ·
    • Hide content

Guess what?? I managed to get my wedding ring for £590 instead of the £1300 they originally quoted. White gold with 22 diamonds in the band. I can't believe the difference in price! Me and the fella were outside the shop psyching ourselves up ready to get our haggle on. We went in and it was a different person, the owner as opposed to a sales assistant. I just casually mentioned we had had a quote from the jewellery quarter in brum for £600 (we hadn't) and that I was back to see what they could do cus I liked his shop the best (bit of shameless flattery always helps). He said he would go lower than our lowest price and throw in a polish on my engagement ring. It really goes to show how much they can and do chuck on top to try their luck!! Very pleased!!

• C
    Rockstar August 2013
    cherrybloom ·
    • Hide content

Ooo that is fab, I have to say I am the worst haggler known to mankind but I guess I may try it on this occasion

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics