Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kat44
Beginner August 2011

annual leave - wedding related

Kat44, 4 January, 2011 at 10:39 Posted on Planning 0 29

Quick question. I'm just about to book my annual leave for this year and I'm having the three weeks following the wedding off as going on honeymoon some point during then but I don't know how much time to book off beforehand??

We get married on a saturday but not sure whether to have the whole week off before or just a few days. What is everyone else doing or what did you do? Just wondering how much I will have to do the week before?

If I take the whole week off before (plus other holiday I will be booking for the rest of the year) it will leave me 2 days.

TIA x

29 replies

Latest activity by SuperSpud, 5 January, 2011 at 13:12
  • Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

Morning, we are getting married on Friday, but i will be going to work on the Monday and having the rest of the week off, so 3 days before wedding. It is a little different as my OH's family will be over from NZ so we will be chocker with things to do (in fact i might just book the whole week off thinking about it. People tend to have a few days off beforehand as you can relax and pamper.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

We've both got from the Wednesday before booked off, and just a week afterwards as we aren't planning - yet - on a big honeymoon until we have a better idea of how much the wedding will cost on final numbers so we aren't able to commit to anything.

Is your work ok with such a long break though? I know that here anything over 2 weeks taken as one has to get special permission from the CEO and only for very exceptional circumstances - and I'm not sure that "we might go on honeymoon at some point" would qualify.

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

Hmmm, i get married on a saturday and will prob have the wed thurs and fri off and having two weeks off afterwards for our honeymoon,,,,,,,,although my works rubbish with holiday, i can buy extra if needed!!

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

There's never really such a thing as a day off in my business! That said, I'm not going to allow any meetings for the 4 days before hand if possible (we get married at the end of a Bank Holiday week) so only 4 days needed.

I'll take the week after off and then our proper honeymoon will be some months later.

• CupcakeQueen
    Beginner January 2011
    CupcakeQueen ·
    • Hide content

I work in a school and my wedding is in the middle of term so I can only take the Friday and Monday either side of the wedding (just about). I wish I could have more and if I could of I would have had at least a week either side.

• Kat44
    Beginner August 2011
    Kat44 ·
    • Hide content

Well my boss just said book it all if I want 4 weeks off, won't be a major issue. I will need to work my socks off before though to prepare 4 weeks work in advance for them but there is someone here to cover me if needed so should be fine with them.

More just a question of how much I will need to do before as to whether it would be better to have a whole week or just a few days.

We get married Sat 27th Aug and it's bank holiday monday but we're planning on going honeymoon the monday or tuesday after for a fortnight and would like the few days after we get back to settle into married life, so it mounts up with holiday, 19 days in total if I have a full week before.

I have already got 8 other days put aside so it leaves me 3 days (not 2) for the rest of the year - is that enough? hmmm.

• SamSam
    Beginner March 2011
    SamSam ·
    • Hide content

I've booked the Weds, Thurs, Fri off before our Saturday wedding. That should give me time to finish off any last bits and to get a mani/pedi etc without too much time for faffing and freaking out ?

• S
    Beginner January 2009
    sammy_wheeler ·
    • Hide content

We get married on the sat, im having the day before (friday) off and if i get toil in the meantime i will have an extra day off (thursday) we are back to work for a week, then go on honeymoon the sunday 31st

• totherfox
    Beginner August 2014
    totherfox ·
    • Hide content

Myself and my wtb will probably be looking to take the whole week prior to the friday wedding off.

Little un' will be in Nursery, which will leave us plenty of time in which to get ready.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Kat - I think it's difficult to tell how much time you need off. I'm hoping to be fairly organised but I have no idea what sort of last minute things will crop up or how ling it'll take to sort them out! Have a think about how many last minute tasks you'll have (dress to collect, nails, things to drop off at venue - how DIY are you? - family to shepherd etc).

Eeek, exciting, eh?!

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

Do you need to leave any holidays for christmas?? I am planning on having wed before till the wed after as only having a minimoon for a few days afterwards and then 2 weeks later off in the year

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content

Im taking the week off before hand, we get married on a saturday.

We go on honeymoon on the tue after, return on the thur 2 weeks later and then back to work on the wed. theres 2 days bank holidays in between our wedding so im taking 20 days annual leave in total - but i was allowed to carry over 5 days from this years hols so I still have 8 days to take, 3 of have to be taken at christmas because we close.

• kj82
    Beginner December 2010
    kj82 ·
    • Hide content

We got married on a Thursday and I booked mon - wed off so I had 5 days before the wedding including the weekend to get little bits sorted. That was plenty of time for me and to be honest if I'd been a bit more organised I could have got away with 2 or 3 days beforehand. Hope that helps!!

• Kat44
    Beginner August 2011
    Kat44 ·
    • Hide content

It is exciting CB!

I'm hoping to be super organised but I'm also a total panicker and will probably make work for myself whether I have one day or twenty days off lol!

I might just book Weds - Fri off for now and add Mon & Tue nearer the time if it looks like I will need it.

I've already put my 3 days aside for Christmas lovelygirl, thanks Smiley smile

I get 30 days plus BHs so the amount isn't a huge issue, but I suppose it is a bit hard trying to second guess how much time I might need by then! I'm also trying to decide if I will want to come in for just a couple of days after the weekend before lol (if that makes any sense!!)

It is weird trying to work out holiday now, making it all the more real!

• stripeyrache
    Beginner February 2011
    stripeyrache ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting married on a Friday and have booked the Wednesday and Thursday off beforehand. We've then both got two weeks off after, for honeymoon (which we'll book last minute the day after the wedding!), but depending on when we fly back, I may not take all of this as work want be back ASAP!

• N
    Beginner January 2008
    niche79 ·
    • Hide content

I am taking 2 weeks off before the wedding on the 4th June and one week off afterwards for our mini moon.

However, this is because I am going away on my hen do for a week 2 weeks before the wedding and I come home on the Saturday and the end of May bank holiday is on the Monday and then our wedding is on the following Saturday so I didnt see the point in going back to work for a day or two. Plus my auntie is making our cupcakes (over 100 of them) so I said I would go and stay with her for a few days and help her with them and l then have a couple of days at the end of the week for last minute details, pampering and delivering everything to the venue.

If I was not away on my hen do I would probably take off the Wednesday, Thursday and Friday before the wedding.

Then we go on our proper honeymoon in October so have 11 days off for that.

• Snuggle-bum
    Beginner July 2011
    Snuggle-bum ·
    • Hide content

I get married on a sunday and have taken the wed-fri off, means i have 4 days for last minute stuff and pampering Smiley smile

I have about 27 days off in all though cause my honeymoon doesn't start till the following saturday and i didn't wanna go back in work before i went on it ?

I thought ahead and have rolled over 4 days from last years hols and like you i get 30 days a year, pretty lucky really!

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

I'm taking 2 days off before the wedding - Thursday for pampering (manicure, facial, haircut etc) and Friday for venue deliveries & set up. We've then got 12 days honeymoon from the Tuesday after, then I'm back to work the following Tuesday - so 13 days leave in total. But reading this I feel dead lucky that I hvae a lot of leave - 33 days a year plus bank holidays - so I have plenty left (it's about the ONLY good thing about working for the NHS!)

I had to get permission from my AD for more than 2 weeks leave, I had to send her an e-mail details why more than 2 weeks was needed, and make a plan to get any essential work covered. But I know there will still be a huge stack of stuff waiting when I get back.

• belindacoles
    Beginner May 2011
    belindacoles ·
    • Hide content

Im getting married on a Friday and have booked the entire week off, purely because I'd like to just be able to relax, have good nights sleeps, have my beauty treatments etc - dont think I could sit at work thinking "3 days to go" lol

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

I've got to work on the Monday and Tuesday afternoon of the wedding week, I have Wednesday, Thursday, Friday off, the wedding's on the Saturday and I have the following two weeks off.

• Bittersweet
    Beginner June 2012
    Bittersweet ·
    • Hide content

Hi

We get married on a Saturday so i have booked the Wednesday. Thursday, Friday from work and then the 2 weeks following the wedding for a honeymoon (if and when we book it). I figured that the three days before would give us a chance to pick up suits, dresses and time for me to get nails etc done! Plus sort out the things needed to be taken to the venue and the honeymoon packing. Smiley smile

• tinks269
    Beginner February 2011
    tinks269 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wish my school was like that I wasn't allowed any time off for getting married. Having said that I purposely chose the weekend I did so that I could have the week before the wedding off, I am getting married on the Saturday. It does mean that I go back to work on the Monday but I know that I would not be able to teach properly the week before anyway so much better this way.

• Mrs_T2B
    Beginner May 2011
    Mrs_T2B ·
    • Hide content

Don't get me started...I felt like I was asking for a £50k pay rise the way they reacted saying 'well we don't normally allow that much time in term time' it's not everyday I get married you idiot! And calm ?

Anyway, we are getting married on a Saturday and have both booked off the Thursday and Friday before the wedding, a full week after the wedding for the honeymoon, and then Monday and Tuesday of the following week.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Im only allowed 10 days off unless my big big boss says its Ok and you have performed well enough!!

Im getting married on the Sat and have booked off from from the wednesday onwards and then a week after the wedding too, we dont go on honeymoon untill November so it wont be too bad I hope!

• Suzie&Karl
    Beginner January 2012
    Suzie&Karl ·
    • Hide content

My wedding is Jan 6th. I am hoping to finish Fri Dec 23rd as i have family from Australia over for xmas and the wedding. Will hopefully go back Jan 23rd or something.

Obviously 25th/26th Dec is christmas and then 27th/28th are bank holidays and again 3rd Jan is bank holiday too. So in total i'll only be using about 19 holidays. I will be carrying over 4 holidays from the current holiday year and we get 6 flex days a year too which means i have got 35 hols to use

Hope they agree!

x

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

Ive actually booked my time off today for my hen weekend and wedding (it lead to a really random conversation about hen do outfits with my male boss!!)

i am getting married on a sat and have just booked the thurs and fri off (we'll be going to the venue on the fri afternoon)

but i have pencilled out the w.end before to do any last min things!

• Kat44
    Beginner August 2011
    Kat44 ·
    • Hide content

Oh forgot about my hen weekend as well! Will need 1 or 2 days for that. hmm, maybe I should stick to just the Weds, Thurs and Fri before after all!

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    SuperSpud ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married on a Sat, so I'm looking to book the Wed, Thurs and Friday off before and two weeks afterwards.

OH doens't have as many holidays so will probably just be off the Friday and then two weeks.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics