Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

another dress wobble - button and zip v's lace up back

29 March, 2012 at 15:51 Posted on Planning 0 10

Hiya everyone,

Im havong an awful day! my mum is still awaiting a triple bypass and getting worse, by dad got rushed the hospital yesterday with his heart and is awaiting an op, ive fucked up an order at work and cost the company 1200, and i cant leave work early to get to the hosp in time for visiting! i think im having a meltdown!!! how is eveyrone else?

anyway, wheni got home last night i watched a dont tell the bride from earlier this week - the bride was quite a big girl - but when she put her dress on she looked amazing. it really pulled in her wasit and you couldnt even tell she had a bt of a belly. now, im not huge but but im not skinny either (14 but hitting the gym hard and its working slowly) because of my boobs 0 its looking like my dress will need to be a 16 (i know people say "dont pay any attention to the size" but id feel happier if it was at least a 14) anyway, its a wedding dress with buttons and zip back, and im just wondering if it will pull me in as much as a corset back? or pull me in at all ? i cant believe how much it did for that girl -cos she looked bigger than me in regular clothes - but in her wedding dress she was like a size 10 or something. im worried now that im going to look frumpy and i should change to a lace up back or something.

has anyone here had or is having zip or button fastening dresses? didthey pull your waist in? or should i just stop thinking about the wedding and just concentrate on the parents getting better!? sorry this sounds lie "oh please massage my ego" but its not i honestly want to know!!!

thanks ladies

anyway

10 replies

Latest activity by HayleyMay, 29 March, 2012 at 21:15
  • *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

Welllllllll I'd say it depends.

At first glance you think oh they can never pull you in that much. But if they are altered to fit correctly, and fit your 'pulled in' shape, then they take quite an effort to button up and DO pull you in.

However, once your dress is altered, you will never be able to 'pull it tighter' like a corset back if you lose weight in the last couple of weeks. My dressmaker said (and she is a corset maker too) that your dress will stretch with your body heat and movement over the day, and recommends another tying session after two hours wear to pull it in again. Or I might have eaten loads by then!

I would say it is up to you and try one on. I personally LOVE what corset back can do for your figure and already have a small waist, but I'm planning on having a teeeeny waist on the day! It does pull in, and it does support the boobage really well too (F-cup here). However, some say a button up back shows skill that the dress was made to fit one bride's body only.

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

And I purposely didn't comment on your parents as I really don't know what to say! My thoughts are with you and them x

• S
    Beginner May 2012
    sue250 ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to hear about your parents hope you get some good news soon and they are both on the mend. I have got a zip dress, I tried both on and tbh I didn't see much difference in the two of them. I think its what you feel comfortable in Smiley smile

• J
    Beginner October 2013
    jacquilf16 ·
    • Hide content

The zip dresses I tried on had corsets in them that did up first before you did the zip up and the buttons, I was concerned the zip would break open whilst walking down the aisle but the internal corset is what pulls you in and takes the pressure. Check your dress as you may find u have the best of both worlds x

• MrsA2012
    Beginner July 2012
    MrsA2012 ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to hear about your parents! Hope things get better soon.

I think I watched that same episode of DTTB and it did work wonders for her.

I'm probably a similar size to you and would've had similar issues with the sizing of dresses.

Most of the dresses I tried on were lace up and did give me a good waist and great support. However, I did have the "back fat" issue!

The dress I've gone for has quite a low back, to about my waist, with a small zip. Even though it's a zip and doesn't have much support from the back, it give me an amazing waist. It's got boning around the waist area which helps, but no internal corset. I haven't had to have it taken in at all around the waist, just at the bust area as it's a halterneck. In fact, the first thing my MOH said when she saw it was "you've got a waist!". (I've lost about 3 stone over the last 5 years, so not as harsh as it sounds, lol!) Anyway, what I'm trying to say is just because it's a zip up doesn't mean it won't fit amazingly.

HTH

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

My dress is a zip back, overlaid with lots of buttons. Inside all that there is an internal corset with hook and eye closures (sort of a giant elasticated bra strap thing) tthat pulls me in and accentuates my waist. Lots of dresses I tried on had similar internal structures.

All the best to you and your parents, by the way Smiley smile

• N
    Beginner June 2012
    Nicalf08 ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to hear about your parents :-(

I'm having a zip and buttons, I didn't really consider the back of the dress when looking but I'm glad I've gone with buttons as I prefer the look of them. As for them sucking you in I don't know and won't know until May sometime, I hope it does though!

• T
    Beginner July 2012
    Thursday Bride ·
    • Hide content

My dress has lace up back (its a sample dress half price in sale) and it was pulled much tighter when I had my first fitting last week and all of a sudden an attractive figure I didn't know I had appeared from nowhere. Very flattering. I'm a size 14 (but looked more like 12 in it) with "moderate boobs" size D.

I can't comment on any other types as I only tried on two dresses and bought the first one I tried on and both were lace up.

Only you can tell how something feels on you and whether you like the different styles - does your dress come with the option to change if needed?

(Thinking about you & your parents though - must be tough to have all that going on)

• ESW
    Beginner September 2012
    ESW ·
    • Hide content

Hope your mum and dad get better soon!

My dress is currently a zip back with buttons, however at the moment it does not fit. I'm getting there and still have a while to go but the dress is stitting on my stomach, after two operations on my tummy I'm not sure how it's gonna go. I have been to a seamstress as I have the dress at home and she has told me that she can chnage it to a corset if I need to. I did try on corset back dresses and they did show a figure I thought I had lost years ago but they also put a bridal corset on me. My dress also has a low back so I may be heading for a spandex body - nice and sexy (hehe).

I'm sure your dress will look stunning once one and altered.

• HayleyMay
    Beginner September 2012
    HayleyMay ·
    • Hide content

Hope your parents are better soon as, must be such a horrible time for you.

Personally, I think zip and/or buttons are much better visually as they are neater and I think a bit classier. However, corsets will pull you in tighter and give a better effect. But if your dress if fitted to your shape then there shouldn't be too much difference.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics