Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Antidepressants

24 January, 2013 at 11:41 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 18

I posted last year about my anxiety levels and have finally got round to making a doctors appointment on Monday. Shhhhhh I like procrastinating. In the last 6 months the frigging anxiety has just got worse and worse and worse. I feel like I have got a knot of pain in my stomach at all times and the ridiculous gerbil that lives in my head is run, run, running as fast as it can on the wheel that powers my brain. (Is that an odd analogy?) I can't deal with it anymore. My teeth hurt from gritting them. I don't think I'm depressed because I have loads to look forward to, I love my family, my life, my children, but I am more or less constantly worrying about stuff.

The last time I went to the doctors about this (8 years ago) he wrote me a prescription for antidepressants which I chucked in the bin. Not sure why, feel a bit scared of them. Anyone got anything good to say about them? I know from a good friend that the list for counselling in this area is huge and the waiting list is over 6 months...

18 replies

Latest activity by Pittabre, 30 January, 2013 at 20:30
  • AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

I was on some old fashioned ones (dothiepin) some 12 years ago for a couple of years. They helped me sleep and I don't know how I might have felt without them. Anyway, I came off them easily enough and have been ok since, so I have no problem with ADs at all really.

If you had diabetes you'd take insulin.

Edit - I also had some counselling and that was rubbish!!

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

I don't know much on this subject of depression but I do have anxiety, only a mild form but it makes me feel sick and I don't sleep when I have it, and it's very annoying. I'm just a born worrier but I've definitly improved with just telling myself to stop worrying and trying to be positive. Have a good chat with your GP on Monday and see what they suggest. Maybe it might be worth trying the tablets (if they prescribe you with them) and see how they make you feel.

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

I was on anti-depressants a few years ago after L was born. Tbh they were great and I would have struggled to go on without them. I can't really explain the effect... It sort of levelled me out if that makes sense. I didn't feel happier per se, but it calmed down the constant whirring of my brain over thinking things, helped me get some sleep and took the edge off the physical symptoms of the anxiety. All of that made it easier to concentrate on counselling and dealing with the actual emotional problems I needed to talk through.

• Soybean
    Beginner March 2011
    Soybean ·
    • Hide content

I went on Citalopram years ago and would highly recommend them. I had gone for a long time determined not to go on any form of medication and that I could sort myself out but finally relented. It was the best thing I ever did, wished I had done it sooner and came off them really easily too. I know a few people who have taken them, all with good results.

• Pittabre
    Pittabre ·
    • Hide content

I am currently suffering from high anxiety and like your analogy. I went on Sertaline previously and that massively helped me. I can no longer take it due to another condition and am now taking mirtazpan (I think!).

As was said if you had another illness you'd get help for it, why not this?

• Pittabre
    Pittabre ·
    • Hide content

Actually mine is a hamster and when I catch it I'm going to squeeze so hard its eye pop out. Actually that might be a bit harsh -I'll just put it in a cage and ignore it.

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content

My best friend has depression and her fiance has anxiety. They were both reluctant to do anyhting about it and finally, after months of struggling and on the verge of breaking up, both got put on tablets to help last year. He's been on anti-anxiety meds since about April, and she's been on anti-depression tablets since August, and they are both in such a better place now! I don't know much about details of what they're on etc but all I know is it took a good few months to make a difference but now it has they are both much better than they have been in the past few years, and the tablets they take have helped them come back to who they were before.

People are reluctant to take tablets for mental health issues but IMO they should be seen the same as any other illness - you can't get better on your own and just need a little something to help out.

I hope your appointment goes well!

• Pittabre
    Pittabre ·
    • Hide content

Sertaline worked SOOOO much better for me. Gutted I can't take it anymore. Mirtazapine, well, it has made me care less about things but has sucked my get and go with it IYSWIM? It has stopped me caring as much which is good and bad.

• *PinkBerry*
    Beginner September 2013
    *PinkBerry* ·
    • Hide content

I used to take mirtazapine but it made me put on SOOOO much weight, like a stone in a month it was ridiculous, Sertraline worked the best for me, I am currently being very naughty and not taking any my tablets, and too scared to go back to GP as last time I saw a different GP and they made me cry for being so stupid!

I recommend talking to your GP and tell them your concerns for going on anti depressants they will talk it through with you!

• Pittabre
    Pittabre ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Blimey I thought it was just me! I've gained soooo much weight sicne taking it☹️

• Pittabre
    Pittabre ·
    • Hide content

Again I thought this was just me. I can't take Sertaline as I have a jaw problem called TMJD and Sertaline causes you to grind your teeth which can exacerabate my problem☹️ Gutted because it did make a difference.

• Pittabre
    Pittabre ·
    • Hide content

Alas no as mine is caused by being a genetic probelm ratehr than being something that has caused it IYSWIM? The best thing is little stress??? It has actually got considerably better since my Ex left though?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics