Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner September 2015

Anxious about Wedding Venue... have I got grounds to ask for deposit back?

Ellie85, 7 of February of 2015 at 18:39 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hey guys,

Just thought I would see what other people thought of our predicament. My Fiance and I put a deposit down on a wedding venue, pretty sizeable deposit for October. However, I've just found out from the owner that they are having some music licensing disputes, and that their event licence was only a temporary one. (or something like that) I don't know the full details. On our visit, we were not informed of this and presumed we could put a dance floor and have a band outside as there are photos of this on their site. I even mentioned that we were thinking about doing this and the owner said that was fine as previous wedding parties have done live outdoor music/parties on the grounds outside, in a marquee or tipi (I may even have a written email to confirm my enquiry). I am feeling anxious that we have put down a big chunk of money on somewhere where we thought we could have amplified outdoor music....but now possibly can't? Do we have enough ground to ask for our deposits back?

Any thoughts or has anyone else been through a similar deposit/venue predicament?

9 replies

Latest activity by Peter, 9 of February of 2015 at 10:56
  • Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I think you would be wise to request a refund now, on the grounds that you were not informed of the problems with the music licence. They may refuse, so if they do go straight to Trading Standards.

If you can prove the dispute was on-going prior to you booking the venue then you can show that they have not been honest with you. I think you need to screen shot the venue website showing the photos that you are referring to. Do it now before they remove them.

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Exactly what Paula said. Gather your evidence now and then ask for your refund.

• AKWedding
    Beginner August 2015
    AKWedding ·
    • Hide content

I think you should ask for a refund, and hopefully the venue will want to avoid negative publicity and refund you.

Might be best to check your contract to see if there are any clauses relating to live music. If there isn't, you could claim this was misrepresented to you and you would never have entered into this contract had you known the truth.

It is sneaky for the venue to take your booking when they knew this dispute was happening.

• E
    Beginner September 2015
    Ellie85 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Guys,

Thank you all so much for posting your thoughts and advice. Had no idea this was going to happen and don't really fancy cramping all my guests and band in the small room for a dance Smiley sad

• E
    Beginner September 2015
    Ellie85 ·
    • Hide content

They do mention live music in their terms and conditions. Does't mention outdoors situation though, this just sounds like a general music rule. And "their license" is now unclear. Can't help but feel I'm screwed. Will just have to voice my concerns and have an adult to adult conversation about it and my disappointment.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

I think the key words here are 'allowed at the discretion of the owners' which I read as being any type of music anywhere in the venue i.e., including grounds. I feel you have been mislead to a certain degree and this needs addressing as early as possible. I would definitely put your concerns in writing and request a refund of your deposit due to pending issues that you weren't informed of at the time of booking.

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

Considering the contract I reckon you should have no problems getting a refund.

There is a clear implication that they have a music licence, so no reason for you to doubt that at the time of booking. Now it appears they did not really have a licence!

• Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·
    • Hide content

I would contact the local council for information as they will be the ones who are responsible for managing the licence. They might not be able to go into detail over the issues but they can give you advice & possibly an indication on in what circumstances they can Revoke or award a licence. You then may use that as evidence if you need to make a case for refunding your deposit. Does you contract not have a cooling off period included?

• E
    Beginner September 2015
    Ellie85 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all for your advice. Hi Chuckle Vision, there's no statement on the contract about a cooling off period so I don't think it exists unfortunately. It just says the deposit is non refundable. I could argue that I have lost confidence in the service, which I have.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

^^^^^^^^^^^Thats pretty much spot on. Honesty seems to have been lacking from them, so you signed under false promises, end of.

Peter

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics