Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner August 2017

any advice about getting measured for my wedding dress?

katiepoppycat, 31 of August of 2016 at 19:28 Posted on Planning 0 6

I'm going on Saturday with a trusted friend who understands that I'm really quite scared of this. Like many a bride I'd hoped to have magically lost weight by now but it hasn;t happened. Any top tips about what to do or take or wear or just some words of reassurance?

6 replies

Latest activity by Mrs_Conduct, 11 of September of 2016 at 21:24
  • Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't worry too much about not having lost weight as wedding dresses are not sized like real clothes. I'm not getting measured for my dress until November but when I was measured for a bridesmaid dress, they just measured my bust, waist, hips and checked the chart and ordered what size my biggest measurement was (which was my hips!). The seamstress will then alter the dress for you. I have been told by a shop that they had a bride who was really upset as she dropped two dress sizes and still ended up ordering a wedding dress in her original size as it was sized so differently to "regular" clothes. Try not to worry, I'm sure that you will look lovely.

I was told by my bridal shop to bring my shoes and underwear if I had them. I have my shoes so I will bring those with me x

• F
    Beginner June 2017
    FutureMrsTz ·
    • Hide content

I don't think you need to be worried as wedding dresses definitely aren't like buying a normal dress! I was worried about what I would look like but they are made to flatter your figure so I'm sure you'll look lovely!

When I bought my dress they measured my bust, waist and hips and then I tried on a dress by the same designer in a standard UK dress size and it was just right, so that's the size I went for.

If you have time and still really want to lose weight, then the seamstress can still alter your dress once it has been made so it fits correctly.

If you have shoes already I would take them along. Sounds silly but one thing I did was I went out and bought myself some nice underwear to make myself feel nice on the day. Have to say it worked because I felt a lot more confident Smiley smile

• Stephisaur
    Beginner April 2017
    Stephisaur ·
    • Hide content

I felt kind of crappy when I went dress shopping because I was heavier than I wanted to be (ironically, I was lighter than I am now - weight loss is going well lol)

I wore my absolute FAVOURITE underwear (which was bright turquoise!) which made me feel a lot happier, and I wore tights so that I wasn't so 'on display'

Wear something that's easy to get in and out of, remember they've seen it all before, and allow yourself to be amazed by the sorcery of Wedding Dresses. They make you look amazing simply by being on. Don't know how they do it, but I feel beautiful every time I put mine on!

If you have shoes that you're planning to wear, I would take them and any accessories Smiley smile also, do your hair and makeup as it'll give you more of a feel how the dress will look on the day Smiley smile

xx

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Any underwear you feel comfortable in as you will be standing in front of a stranger in it. If really not comfortable try wearing opaque tights too so you don't feel so much on display. I echo what others have said they are used to it and have seen it all. Most dressed have boning etc and won't need a bra but if youre my happy to 'freeboob' as one wonderful hitched put it then just leave your bra on. I didn't wear much makeup as didn't want to leave any on the dresses although every dress I tried you step into it so it wouldn't have been a problem. If you don't normally wear your hair up but want to on the day maybe take a clip so you can try different dresses with hair up or down. Phew! That's it I think. Except to enjoy!

• Mrs_Conduct
    Expert June 2017
    Mrs_Conduct ·
    • Hide content

I second the opaque tights - i did this every time I tried dresses, bar one (kept jeans on) on and it made me feel so much more comfortable. I also has my hair down and took a clip to try different styles. My only other sort of piece of advice would be not to be put off/upset when they tell you the size they will order the dress in, even if it's bigger than you thought. My dress has been ordered in two sizes larger than I wear in high street clothes, and I need to loose two inches to make that fit!

Take a moment to enjoy it - it's fun dressing up like a princess Smiley smile xx

• K
    Beginner August 2017
    katiepoppycat ·
    • Hide content

So it turns out getting measured is a breeze! I didn't have to take anything off, it took 10 minutes and she didn;t tell me anything! She didi ask if i wanted the tape tight or not, but i went for not.

• Mrs_Conduct
    Expert June 2017
    Mrs_Conduct ·
    • Hide content

Glad it went well xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics