Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Fleur10
Beginner June 2011

Any advice on Scotland....

Fleur10, 16 January, 2011 at 14:47 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hi all, have any of you or know of anyone who has married in Scotland, can you recommend any venues for a small wedding? Our plans may be changing!

Cheers ?

9 replies

Latest activity by kirstycat, 17 January, 2011 at 13:45
  • looneysh
    Beginner May 2012
    looneysh ·
    • Hide content

I live in Glasgow, what sizeof wedding and whereabouts r u thinking? R u wanting something up in the highlands or more city based

• Fleur10
    Beginner June 2011
    Fleur10 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, we will be staying in Glen Urquhart, Drumnadrochit, Highland, so looking for somewhere near to there, we have so far found Urquhart Castle which looks lovely. There will just be the 2 of us.

• celticgoddess
    Beginner March 2012
    celticgoddess ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

OMG Urquhart Castle is my dream venue.......i go there about 4 times a year, have a cruise on the loch......wander about for a while..........unfortunately we cant afford to get married there. i know the clansman hotel near the loch has a sister hotel that does weddings too........

if i win the lottery then its urquhart all the way!.....even tho visitors are allowed in when u get married too, it wouldnt bother me one bit
  • Fleur10
    Beginner June 2011
    Fleur10 ·
    • Hide content

Well,we just got the costings for a ceremony there and it was £900!! so, unfortunately its out of the question, we cant justify paying that much just to get married there as stunning as it is. So we are still looking around at the moment.

Celtic - where are you getting married?

• celticgoddess
    Beginner March 2012
    celticgoddess ·
    • Hide content

Oops i dont know what happened with the last bit of my post lol..

see i knew it was expensive! ive had my eye on it for years but like i said unless i win the lottery its not gona happen!

i will be getting married in my wee village of bothwell in south lanarkshire and hope the reception will be nearby....... (we havent set the date yet lol)

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

You might find some venues won't accept a booking for just the 2 of you as they will be wanting to make money from a lot of guests being there. Maybe you'd be better off looking to see if any registry offices are a possibility? Might be cheaper than paying for a hotel or other venue.

Got these from google

Ackergill Tower - Wedding Venue - Ackergill Tower - Highlands Castle Stuart - Wedding Venue - Castle Stuart - Highlands Culldoen House - Wedding Venue - Culldoen House - Highlands Culloden House Hotel - Wedding Venue - Culloden House Hotel - Highlands Dunvegan Castle - Wedding Venue - Dunvegan Castle - Highlands Eilean Donan Castle - Wedding Venue - Eilean Donan Castle - Highlands Flodigarry Country House Hotel - Wedding Venue - Flodigarry Country House Hotel - Highlands Glenmoriston Town House - Wedding Venue - Glenmoriston Town House - Highlands Highland Voyages - Wedding Venue - Highland Voyages - Highlands Inverlochy Castle Hotel - Wedding Venue - Inverlochy Castle Hotel - Highlands Loch Torridon Hotel - Wedding Venue - Loch Torridon Hotel - Highlands Macdonald Aviemore Highland - Wedding Venue - Macdonald Aviemore Highland - Highlands Old Pines Hotel & Restaurant - Wedding Venue - Old Pines Hotel & Restaurant - Highlands The Boat Hotel - Wedding Venue - The Boat Hotel - Highlands The Newton Hotel - Wedding Venue - The Newton Hotel - Highlands
  • Fleur10
    Beginner June 2011
    Fleur10 ·
    • Hide content

Thats great - thanks for those Lynsey ?

• looneysh
    Beginner May 2012
    looneysh ·
    • Hide content

If it's just to 2 of you maybe you get get married in a really nice outside location. Is there a park or beauty spot that have made you choose that area specifically?

I'm having a humanist wedding instead of a registrar/church wedding. And according to the humanist Scotland website " Humanist weddings have the same legal status as civil and religious weddings as long as they are conducted by an HSS Celebrant , who has been authorised by the Registrar General of Scotland, and can take place anywhere 'safe and dignified'

Meaning you wouldn't need to necessarily pay a venue...not sure if you would consider a national park or something? They may have a charge, but I wouldn't expect it to be much.

The lady who is marrying us has said she has conducted a wedding in a youth hostel and in private homes.

Most of the big manor's and hotels usually charge a fortune. My venue charges £800, but we have agreed to pay it because we want a wedding with all our family and friends. As you say £900 is alot when it's just the 2 of you

HTH

• kirstycat
    Beginner April 2011
    kirstycat ·
    • Hide content

I don't mean to be a spoilsport but it can't just be the two of you, can it? You need to have your two witnesses and you have to provide their details beforehand so it's not just a case of pulling in a helpful passer by.

So, in that case, I would suggest a registry office and then a lovely meal somewhere afterwards. You're going to pay a fortune to get married in a hotel or other venue as many of them will insist on certain numbers or increase the room hire to cover lower numbers of guests.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics