Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Any Chilham Brides?

26 of May of 2011 at 15:26 Posted on Planning 0 54

We've just booked our wedding for August 2013 at Chilham Village Hall (near Canterbury in Kent) .... We both loved this venue when we went to see it but i can't help feeling a bit like people will think we should have gone for somewhere posher ....

Has anyone had their own weddings here or planning to? Any flashes? or help and advice?

As always thanks in advance!

54 replies

Latest activity by LuxuriousRedConfetti62537, 25 of May of 2019 at 12:51
  • Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

Just googled it and I think it looks lovely. Didn't even know Chilham had such a pretty looking village hall!

• A
    Beginner
    AbC1 ·
    • Hide content

Me! I'm getting married there next May. It was the first place we looked at and we both fell in love with it as it's just so stunning. Don't worry in the slightest about people not thinking it's posh, I think that's half the charm of it - it's authentic and looks amazing and can be dressed up as much as you like, without it being too slick.

If you look on google images you can find a few pictures of what people have done with it for weddings (I'll send you some if you can't find them), we're still in the planning stages but am more than happy to help if you've got anything specific you need help with (and let you now how it goes and what works!).

Just let me know and seriously don't worry - I think it's amazing (and don't even get me started on how beautiful the village itself is!)!

• MrsCoco
    MrsCoco ·
    • Hide content

Hey NB88 - you sent me a PM on my email last night but haven't had a chance to reply on there as yet.

I might not have married in Chilham but I did have a village hall wedding breakfast/reception - don't worry about people thinking its a cheap option - from our experience people are still saying to us now it's the best wedding they've been to as there were no airs and graces, people could relax and enjoy themselves. We saved oodles of cash doing it this way, and I wouldn't have changed it for the world - to me a wedding is about the people and the atmosphere, the food and the drink, and the music......our venue still allowed for all these things - if we'd had some swanky stately home (that TBH wouldn't have been us!) we couldn't have afforded to have half of the guests we had there!

See a hall as a blank canvas - you can do what you want with it. What kind of chairs etc to you have? We just had plastic stacking chairs and folding school dining room style tables, but once the chair covers and cloths were on (supplied FOC by our caterer) we were blown away with the transformation.Our caterer was fantastic value and the food was fabulous....if you want her details (and any other suppliers in Kent) I'm happy to forward them on.

B&B's and hotels will be fine with photographers/hairdressers/make up artists coming while you're getting ready... this is part and parcel of the majority of weddings nowadays after all.

Any more questions or suppliers you need give me a shout - don't doubt your decision - if you and H were blown away with it in it's bare bones then think how you and your guests will feel when you've put your mark on it! It'll be fab! xx

• MrsCoco
    MrsCoco ·
    • Hide content

Random! Hitched is so random at PMs sometimes!

In most venues I do think they're overrated, but in halls I do think chair covers add to the decoration and atmosphere - TBH by the time the chair covers were on the room was completely transformed, and we could have been in a flashy venue somewhere rather than a hall! It also meant we spent less on other decorations.

Also, getting caterers in doesn't have to cost the earth. We considered doing our own food but didn't want everyone worrying about that/not enjoying the party! You'd also have to consider how to keep everything cool, whether you'd look at hiring fridges or a fridge van to keep everything cool - an expense in itself.

Here are the suppliers I used/can recommend, hope they help you out a bit!

Caterer: http://www.cateringstyle.co.uk/ - they provide a range of menus (buffet and full-service wedding breakfast), did our chair covers and linen for free, decorated our tables (saving us hassle the day/morning before) etc....I honestly cannot recommend them highly enough! Alex was fab and worked her socks off - was there the night before doing our chairs and tables, all day on the day, and then the Sunday morning collecting the chair covers and equipment.Her website isn't the best, but she'll happily send you all her menus etc by email/chat through things on the phone, and she comes out to you to cook you a trial dinner as well.

Photographer: http://www.chrisgilbertphotography.co.uk

Balloons: https://www.wildballoons.co.uk/

Hair: http://www.nicolajane-bridalbeauty.com/

Dresses: http://dressedtowed.co.uk/

Alterations: http://www.deisys.co.uk/

I would also recommend my car, make up artist, florist etc, but not sure these bits would travel (my make up artist was Essex based), but if there is anything you can think of that I've missed give me a shout!

XXX

• A
    Beginner
    AbC1 ·
    • Hide content

No - I live in London so we're travelling down there and staying in a cottage in the village square for the weekend. The Woolpack pub also has loads of rooms and there are plenty of B&Bs and cottages around, so loads of accommodation to choose from. The cottage we're in is so close that we don't need any wedding cars as I'm just going to walk there (it's about a 2 minute walk and will saves loads of money, plus I 'm not really into anything too fancy anyway).

I don't really have a specific colour but in terms of theme we're just going for a relaxed, country theme, almost like a fete with games and stuff outside (if the weather is nice obviously!). We're having the ceremony there too so will have to do a quick turnaround but I'm sure it's all possible, we just need to enlist the help of family and friends. We've got a paella van coming to do the food as neither of us wanted a formal three course dinner, and we're just going to lay the tables they have out in long lines like trestle tables. They got new chairs really recently so we're going to use those and not get chair covers (i'm not really a fan if I'm honest).

We've been a few times to check out the facilities etc so if you've got any specific questions then give me a shout. I know it seems really daunting at first when you're trying to work out how it will all work, but once you get over the initial bit of trying to work it all out you realise it's actually quite good fun. As someone told me when I first got engaged - these are memories you're making so make the most of it!

Hope that helps!

• A
    Beginner
    AbC1 ·
    • Hide content

I know, it's so difficult isn't it? I changed my mind every 5 minutes when we'd first booked it but I think once you make one important decision lots of the rest of it starts falling in to place.

Did you take pictures of it when you were there? We've got loads so if you want to look at some more to get inspiration just let me know and I'll forward them on.

• A
    Beginner
    AbC1 ·
    • Hide content

Go with your gut instinct! It's really hard when you've decided on what you want then other people start giving you advice/their opinions on things as it just gets really confusing. If you do want to have the afternoon tea thing I think it would work really nicely and would totally suit the hall as well. Don't be distracted by any one else - it's about you and him at the end of the day, so should be what you want to do!

• A
    Beginner
    AbC1 ·
    • Hide content

Just sent you a couple of links and a picture by PM, hope they help!

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

To me the place kinda screams 'HOGROAST' or at least medieval banquet - it was one of the places we considered for our wedding but decided it was too big.

ther's plenty of pics on the net:

https://www.akentishceremony.com/uk/venue/venue281

https://stressfreehire.com/downloads/Chilham%20Village%20Hall.pdf

http://blog.lucybateman.co.uk/2011/05/wedding-chilham-village-hall.html

• H
    Beginner June 2012
    Hetty85 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi there!

I am also getting married at Chilham Village hall, on 26th May 2012. It looks lovely and I hope it will be a great venue for the big day! Thanks to everyone for the helpful hints, can I ask where you found the details for the cottage you're staying in AbC1? We are trying to find some alternative accomodation options to the Woolpack as we may need more rooms.

Love the idea of the outdoor games too, my boyfriend loves games!

Thanks

Hetty x

• A
    Beginner
    AbC1 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Hetty

Just PM'ed you with a big list of accommodation I've made which might help? We're staying in Orions Cottage which is right in the square (at the top of the hill that leads down to the village hall) so a perfect location. The website is http://www.orionscottage.com/ - there are pictures on there and it looks lovely.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with.

x

• RachTN25
    Beginner December 2012
    RachTN25 ·
    • Hide content

Hi we're getting married at Chilham Village Hall on 22nd Dec 2012. We're having the whole thing there. So far we have only booked the venue and caterers. Are any of you having a paid

bar as I have contacted a few but the drinks prices are really expensive. Any suggestions would be welcomed?

Rachel xx

• V
    Beginner December 2012
    V&AKent ·
    • Hide content

Hi everyone,

I'm getting married in Chilham hall on December 15th, having a bit of a wobble now about the venue, does anyone have a picture of the hall decorated for their wedding? (I've seen the online ones) especially if you did something nice with the small hall. I'm sure it'll be lovely but I'm worrying now that we've finalised the booking. :-O

V

• RachTN25
    Beginner December 2012
    RachTN25 ·
    • Hide content

I don't have any pics as we're getting married on 22nd December. We're having lots of candles in the ceremony room and have hired chair covers which I think will make a big difference. Are you getting married there or just having the reception. I think it will look lovely all done up, people we have spoken to that have been to receptions there said how nice it is. Whats your theme?

Rachel xx

• H
    Beginner June 2012
    Hetty85 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

We had our wedding a few weeks ago at Chilham Village Hall - we got married in the small hall and had our reception in the large hall. I was especially pleased with what we did with the large hall. You can see photos on our photographer's website here:

http://www.davidfenwick.co.uk/wedding-photography/heather-edward/

Heather x

• RachTN25
    Beginner December 2012
    RachTN25 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for posting that. I love looking at photos of it to get more ideas. My firend is going to a wedding there on saturday and have told her to take lots of photos lol

Rach xx

• RachTN25
    Beginner December 2012
    RachTN25 ·
    • Hide content

Wow it looks lovely. So pleased you used the long tables as thats what we are planning but I was worrying about everything fitting on which I obviously don't need to.

How did you manage all the clearing up on time on the Sunday?

Rach xx

• L
    Beginner September 2014
    laura and simon 2014 ·
    • Hide content

Hi there,

I am planning on getting married in September and have planned to view Chilham village hall at Christmas. I was wondering if any one has got married there and has any feedback?

Thanks

• A
    Beginner
    AbC1 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Laura

I got married there in May and I loved it, really couldn't have wished for anywhere better. Can send you links to a few pictures and give you tips for any suppliers etc if you do decide to go for it - are you looking at other places as well? I honestly think that getting that venue and location for the price is is a one in a million find, but maybe I'm biased as it was such an amazing day!

• B
    Beginner August 2014
    bexbutterfly ·
    • Hide content

Hi ladies!

I'm getting married at Chilham Village Hall on 9th August 2014! Can't wait. love the venue. I'm having a bit of a wobble with catering though - we had some but they have said they can't cater because of the lack of facilities in the kitchen.

Can anyone recommend any caters who have prior work with chilham village hall?

thanks!

Bex

• RachTN25
    Beginner December 2012
    RachTN25 ·
    • Hide content

Sorry for the late reply. We get married there next Saturday and are having River Caterers who have done a few weddings there. We are having a 3 course sit down for 64 and an evening buffet for 120.

Rachel xx

• B
    Beginner August 2014
    bexbutterfly ·
    • Hide content

Hi Rachel

Thanks for your reply! I've contacted River Caterers today and they've posted their wedding brochure to me! Thanks for the recommendation.

Good luck for Saturday, how exciting! Best of luck with last minute preparations!

Bex

• L
    Beginner August 2014
    ljhstorm ·
    • Hide content

We've just booked our wedding for August 2014 at Chilham village hall. we're really not sure whether to go for caterers or do our own food. Does anyone have any suggestions?

• B
    Beginner August 2014
    bexbutterfly ·
    • Hide content

Hi there

Thanks to Rachel's suggestion my partner and I have booked River Caterers based in Dover. We are planning to have a 3 course meal for a very reasonable price if that helps.

Oh how exciting! What date in August '14 are you? Our date is on the 9th! Not found another bride with such a close date and same venue!

Bex

• L
    Beginner August 2014
    ljhstorm ·
    • Hide content

HI, thanks Bex I will check them out. We're getting married on 30th August 2014. Right at the end of the summer so no honeymoon as I'll be back at work when new term begins. I'm still not sure whether to go for a sit down meal or a buffet so think I'll have to shop around. But thanks for your advice Smiley smile

• L
    Beginner August 2014
    ljhstorm ·
    • Hide content

Has anyone who got married at Chilham village hall done their own catering? We're still not sure what we want and what we can afford really. I would lie to do our own food to cut down costs but then I'm worried about all the clearing up before the evening guests arrive. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great. Thank you Smiley smile

• B
    Beginner August 2014
    bexbutterfly ·
    • Hide content

Hi Everyone

Hoping for a bit of advice from previous/future Chilham brides! We are having a rather large wedding, and as a result we are holding both our ceremony and reception in the large hall. I have been re-assured by bridesmaids and my mum not to worry that it can be done - many hands make light work. But I'm just worrying that it will not be changed around in time.

Has anyone else done this and how was it changing the large hall from ceremony to wedding breakfast? We have already contacted our caterers to have said they are willing to help out with the change around.

Brides-to-be what are you planning on doing?

Any advice would be hugely appreciated Smiley smile

Bex

• J
    Juicy Jackets ·
    • Hide content

Try thinking outside of the box a little bit with catering. Do you want a sit down meal that no-one is really interested in or do you want to go down the usual path of the buffet....hog roast..etc. Weddings have become a little predictable when it comes to the catering. Try something a little different that is a one size fits all solution - something unique but a little more relaxed.?

• P
    Beginner September 2012
    purplejane1 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I've just come across your post.... I got married at Chilham Village Hall last September and we used the large hall for the ceremony and then changed it round for the breakfast, it can be done!! All I would say is give yourself a bit of time. We had the ceremony at 3 pm and the food was ready at 4.45 so it was a rush and we didn't get as many photos as we wanted as I needed to be in there as well. But if you give yourself a bit more time, get very organised and have a few extra hands its fine. When the evening guests started arriving we just shifted out a few of the tables in the middle.

We used Blackbird Caterers who do a lot of events at Chilham, their team helped with the change over as well. I would highly recommend them, we had a fantastic bbq menu.

Good luck. Feel free to contact me if you want any more info

Jane x

• A
    Beginner October 2014
    Alice2923 ·
    • Hide content

Hiya!

We are thinking of booking chillham hall for our wedding in October 2014 but we are worried about how we will fit everything in! If you had a wedding at Chillham Village Hall how did it all work? Was there someone to move the tables round to make room for the dancefloor? Any advice or information would be really really helpful!

Thank you!

• N
    Beginner
    neil&maerii ·
    • Hide content

Hi everyone!

We've booked our wedding at Chilham Village Hall in July 2015 and wanted to ask if anyone could advise us as to how many people they have managed to seat for the wedding reception? The Chilham website says they can accommodate 130 but we're struggling to see how that's possible without a real squash!

Any advise and suggested caterers that can provide a hog roast would really be appreciate.

Thanks in advance,

Neil& Maerii

• P
    Beginner September 2012
    purplejane1 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Neil and Maerii

I can't remember the exact number we sat, but we had 11 round tables that seat 10 people, so potentially 110 and the top table was on the stage. It was quite tight, I don't think we could have fit any more round tables in. However, with long tables you may be able to seat a few more?

We used Blackbird Caterers who are local to Chilham, they were great, we didn't have a hog roast we had a BBQ menu, but I'm pretty sure they do a hog roast. I would highly recommend them, we had loads of compliments about the food.

Happy planning

Jane x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics