Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Rizzo
Beginner July 2011

Any Goldfish/Tropical Fish Experts? (It is wedding related)

Rizzo, 7 November, 2010 at 19:31 Posted on Planning 0 26

We are thinking of having a fishbowl centrepiece at our wedding as my daughter loves Finding Nemo. Does anyone know how easy this would be to do?

I know nothing about fish - would they need to acclimatise to the surrounding areas or would it be ok just to pop them on the table in their bowl. Also, if we were to have a Nemo fish, would we need a filter and everything? It would be a real pain if we did as it would be one extra thing to do on the day. Also, can you imagine what would happen if the filter broke?

This may seem like a strange thread, but my daughter loves fish and I want to do something nice for her.

26 replies

Latest activity by anglefish, 8 November, 2010 at 06:57
  • Shnarfy1
    Beginner November 2010
    Shnarfy1 ·
    • Hide content

I think they need to acclimatise for about 15 minutes before you put them in the water.

• *Bea*
    Beginner October 2011
    *Bea* ·
    • Hide content

I don't know that much about nemo fish we have a biorb tank and i normally just empty all the water, change the filter and put some sachets in there that come with it, and put the fishes straight back in. They seem to be fine with this ?

Are you thinking about having these as tablecentres?

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Tropical fish are a lot harder to keep than goldfish - and I have trouble with goldfish!

The water needs to be kept a constant temperature to keep tropical fish alive, and in all honesty if you don't have all the right equipment then you may well end up with a 'floater' by the end of the evening which really wouldn't be good.

Personally, I would advise against anything involving any live animal - fish, doves, butterflies etc - as part of any celebration. They are living creatures, not toys.

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

Don't think I would fancy having a " floater" in my fishbowl!

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for the advie AJ - maybe I won't do it.

BTW, what is your signature about Hotel California about? Lol!

• LollyB
    Beginner September 2010
    LollyB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

I'm such a child! That made me snort in my coffee!!!

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Please. Dont so it.

I did wonder if this was a wind up when I saw the thread.

A tropical fish floating in red wine, lager, champagne, confetti, not to mention bright lights and pounding toons.... Need i say more??

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/eagles/hotelcalifornia.html

"You can check-out any time you like, but you can never leave!"

So many people seem to be addicted to this place, even after they get married, so they can 'check out' (or log out) but they keep coming back.

• N
    Beginner August 2011
    Noodle2Be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This gave me the giggles too!! ?

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh I get it now! Do you think you'll be like that AJ once you're married?

• H
    Beginner July 2010
    hughef36 ·
    • Hide content

My sister had tropical fish and had a proper tank with a filter and pump, goldfish are fine you normally pop the bag with the goldfish in inside the goldfish bowl for around 15mins or i usually just add a small amount of warm.

Perhaps if you want fish buy a proper tank and just have one at the side of the room, these tanks are usually quite large and need plugging in so probably wouldn't be able to use as centre pieces they also have a light so would probably look nice at the side and would be seen in the evening when the lights are dim then you can take one tank home as keep the fish afterwards!

If your having a reception at a hotel then remember most asked for any items that use electric to be PAC tested such as DJ equipment etc not sure where you would get this done.

?

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well I may be away from here for a couple of weeks... but I'll come back at the very least and stick some photos up (or at least a link to the gallery on our website). Time will tell how much afterwards I hang around, as although I like helping out other people and joining in the discussions, I may simply be 'surplus to requirements' as Hitchers: The Next Generation proceed along the conveyor belt that is wedding planning.

• rebecca2286
    Beginner April 2011
    rebecca2286 ·
    • Hide content

AGGGGHHHH!!!!! PLEASE dont do this!!! We keep tropical fish and I can almost garauntee you will end up with a lot of dead fish.....not a good wedding omen, and not something your daughter would enjoy!

Nemo fish (clown fish) are also marine fish, so they're water needs to be salty or they will die and the levels have to be very carefully maintained which is why marine tropical tanks are so expensive. Not only that, but tropical means they need the water temperature to be maintained too. Not really possible at a wedding.

In terms of goldfish, I'd agree with above, although this is possible I think its quite cruel to the fish, they will end up with alcohol poured in their bowl, or someone drunk being dared to eat it, or the bowl will be knocked over and fish killed. Or the noise and scary things going on will stress them out so much they will die anyway.

Obviously its up to you what you decide, but I think Nemo is out on logistics and generally fish are a bad idea at weddings. Im sorry to put a downer on your idea!! Hope I helped you decide though!

• rebecca2286
    Beginner April 2011
    rebecca2286 ·
    • Hide content

Why is my font so tiny? Reposted hopefully bigger!

AGGGGHHHH!!!!! PLEASE dont do this!!! We keep tropical fish and I can almost garauntee you will end up with a lot of dead fish.....not a good wedding omen, and not something your daughter would enjoy! Nemo fish (clown fish) are also marine fish, so they're water needs to be salty or they will die and the levels have to be very carefully maintained which is why marine tropical tanks are so expensive. Not only that, but tropical means they need the water temperature to be maintained too. Not really possible at a wedding. In terms of goldfish, I'd agree with above, although this is possible I think its quite cruel to the fish, they will end up with alcohol poured in their bowl, or someone drunk being dared to eat it, or the bowl will be knocked over and fish killed. Or the noise and scary things going on will stress them out so much they will die anyway. Obviously its up to you what you decide, but I think Nemo is out on logistics and generally fish are a bad idea at weddings. Im sorry to put a downer on your idea!! Hope I helped you decide though!
  • rebecca2286
    Beginner April 2011
    rebecca2286 ·
    • Hide content

Really?? What is going on with my font??!!

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I thought this too.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My goldfish tank sits on the top of our fridge, so it's fairly small - and I can't lift it when it's full. It takes about 4 gallons of water. To move the tank I have to siphon out about half a bucketfull then catch the fish with a little net then drain the rest of the water before I can move it.

It's a lot more complicated I think than a lot of non-fishkeepers realise. My little tank of 3 goldfish takes enough effort, with its pump which needs regular cleaning, the aerator, the tank heater, lights plants etc - let alone tropical.

I think the idea of incorporating Nemo as it's obviously important to her is a good idea - but a live fish might not be right.

Mind you, not sure that this is a solution either...

• H
    Beginner July 2010
    hughef36 ·
    • Hide content

LOL didn't even think about the moving the fish to and from venue! and the many buckets of water to fill it up!

Maybe you could buy your daughter a tank and fish for home as her wedding present? and have floaty candles instead lol!

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

You could have a nemo themed wedding:

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

You have got to have that cake and balloon... thing!!

You could even have stripey orange/white ties! (Sounds horrid but I've seen worse flashed on here lol)

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That sushi is amazing!

I've decided to probably avoid the idea - it's one of those ideas that you write on here without thinking it through and then you look a fool when people point out the obvious...

• Wedding Photographer
    Wedding Photographer ·
    • Hide content

It sounds like you could be verging on animal abuse if not done properly... Only takes a drunk reveller to pour a vodka in the bowl, and things get really bad. I see why you would like to do it, but practically and logistically, its not a thing you really want to pursue

• bec84
    Beginner
    bec84 ·
    • Hide content

I do like the look of that Sushi......?

• SarinaCain
    Beginner March 2011
    SarinaCain ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow Sherrie loving this....have to run and tell the OH our theme has changed now lol

• A
    Beginner December 2010
    anglefish ·
    • Hide content

Hello

i have tropical fish and they need at a certain tempreture unlike goldfish, if you really wanted to do it then goldfish is the way forward but they will need to get used to the water you wouldnt be able to plonk them straight into it.

hope this helps xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics