Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

babybirdandmouse
Dedicated August 2020

Any Hitchers Making Their Own Cupcakes?

babybirdandmouse, 17 October, 2010 at 17:02 Posted on Planning 0 8

I'm thinking about making my own cupcakes for our wedding next summer. I have 10 months to perfect the technique but I think I could pull it off not to mention the amount of money I could save. I was wondering if there are any other hitchers out there who are thinking of making their own cupcake wedding cake.

If so, I'd love to hear how you're doing yours? I have seen those cupcake makers & thought they would save quite a bit of time, but I guess that's cheating! Smiley laugh

8 replies

Latest activity by Vikster79, 18 October, 2010 at 09:13
  • Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

Hiya!!!! im making cupcake favours so same sort of thing!! going to make them all by hand. no machines and stuff...how many are you looking to make? if u use the right recipie and store them alright youl be able to make them a couple days in advance and ice them....for a sat weding make them the thursday..theyl be fine!!!im making approx 80 so once ive got the 3rd lot in the oven, the 1st lot will be ready to ice Smiley laugh

are you a cake maker normally?

• babybirdandmouse
    Dedicated August 2020
    babybirdandmouse ·
    • Hide content

I dabble with cake-making every now & again but I'm certainly no Nigella Lawson! LOL.

I'd need about 90. I have seen those silicone cupcake cases aswell which look quite handy. I'm just certain that it would only cost me a fraction of the price if I was to make them myself. This wedding is certainly making me thrifty!!

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

Reaaaaaaaaaaaly will save u money!! espo if u buy ingriedients in bulk!! are you going to leave the cupcake in the cases or not? cos the sillicone ones would work out quite expensive if you serve them IN them?

not only is it cheaper, but itsa nice touch when some one says 'wow the cakes look so pretty!!' and you say 'wy yes, its cos i made them!' *BIG SMILES*

Smiley laugh

• lisaloulou
    Beginner
    lisaloulou ·
    • Hide content

Jules, they look gorgeous. (Kirstie, Jules was a legend helping me with advice to decorate my daughters 1st bday cake so great advice posted!).

I prefer the topping on the ones Jules posted to the traditional swirls. I think a lot of people find it too sickly and also you'll be able to co-ordinate ones like the ones above more easily to your theme etc.

Have you got anyone to help you as it's surprising how long things will take with cooling time etc.

When I was planning I thought I'd make iced cookie favours. I tried a few times but decided I really didn't want the stress a few days before the wedding. I'm not much of a baker though!

• TheCakeNinja
    TheCakeNinja ·
    • Hide content

ooooh me please! got a birthday coming up for a certain little miss and decided to try these instead of my usual cake ? any help greatly appreciated!

They look fab btw!

• Kitty1987
    Beginner December 2010
    Kitty1987 ·
    • Hide content

We were going to make our own vanilla cupcakes with teal buttercream in silver cases, to look all wintery.

Turns out we can get 96 cupcakes from m&s for £70, my sister is letting us use her staff discount and we have £40 of vouchers to use there. Means we only have to pay £16 out of our own pocket so obviously going to go this route!

• Bobbins30
    Beginner November 2010
    Bobbins30 ·
    • Hide content

Jules they look fab! Can you send me some recipes please as well? Thanks x

• Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

We were thinking about doing it that way and making them ourselves as i cook regularly, however as others have said do you really want the stress of making and decorating them the day before your wedding, as we both realised that we wanted to put our feet up and as much as we wanted to save money, my OH family will be over from NZ so would be spending what little spare time we have with them. For the sake of saving £150 we thought it was well worth the spend. Make sure you are prepared for the hard work involved.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics