Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

butterpopcorn
Beginner April 2013

Any ideas on how to include a 3 year old boy? *Now with a FLASH of a brilliant idea!!*

butterpopcorn, 16 May, 2012 at 19:37 Posted on Planning 0 22

Hi,

Between H2B and I, we just have one nephew (no nieces) - my brother's son, who will be nearly 3 at the time of the wedding. I feel like if he was a girl he would be a little flower girl with a pretty dress and flower garland head band etc! But as a boy the only thing I can think of is a page boy/ring bearer - but I don't really want that. We're just having a short, informal ceremony in an art gallery, with party afterwards, and I don't feel like having a page boy carrying rings down an aisle tied to a satin pillow will fit in with the style of the wedding. However, I do want him to be involved, feel special and have some kind of little "job". Any ideas anyone, or am I going to have to bite the bullet and have him carry the rings!?

Thanks!!

22 replies

Latest activity by soontobehismrs, 20 May, 2012 at 19:37
  • Pink Han-bag
    Beginner March 2013
    Pink Han-bag ·
    • Hide content

We have a (will be) 3 year old ourself and OH's nephew is the same age. When they're not running around we're going to give them the job sort of like ushers so handing out orders of service (I think they'll be old enough to understand to give one to each person/couple), perhaps get them to give out confetti cones or similar, and just generally look cute!

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

Ring Bearer !! oh sooo cute ! ...not sure I'd trust a 3 yo to walk down the aisle with a ring cushion but he could still present the rings when it is time during the ceremony.

And a 3yo would look really cute with a ring bearer frog instead of a cushion.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/ ?

• BadgerBeetle
    Beginner November 2012
    BadgerBeetle ·
    • Hide content

RING BEARER FROG!!!!!

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm almost as obsessed with them as you are now ! lol

• BadgerBeetle
    Beginner November 2012
    BadgerBeetle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

ahaha! they're amazing!

• P
    Beginner November 2012
    pasq3333 ·
    • Hide content

He could walk with the bridesmaids down the aisle, if your having any......or ideas ring bearer, throw fresh petals down aisle, help giving out confetti or order of service with ushers, or you could give him a disposable camera and ask him to take pictures of the service

hope this helps

• S
    Beginner May 2012
    sr3693 ·
    • Hide content

We've got 2 lil ones, one will be 3 a week after the wedding, one is 7 - they are being page boys - just walking down the aisle together with the BM's looking cute!

Nothing else but just gets them involved. The 7 year old is excited enough about this!

• N
    Beginner June 2012
    Nicalf08 ·
    • Hide content

My two page boys are going to carry a flag saying 'here comes the bride' down the aisle before me and after the ceremony the older one (6) will help give out the bubbles along with my OH's nephew. He's really happy with this! My 3 year old however may throw a massive strop on the day and just leg it down the aisle hitting the pew ends with said flag.

• Purple Pixie
    Beginner July 2012
    Purple Pixie ·
    • Hide content

Our two will be 6 and 2 at the wedding and they will be page boys. No ring cushion in sight though! They're just going to walk down the aisle before me looking cute in their suits ?

Could he do anything like handing out order of ceremony sheets if you're having them? or confetti?

• Kylie541
    Beginner February 2013
    Kylie541 ·
    • Hide content

We are entrusting our rings on pillows with a 17 month old and 3 year old!

• IshouldCoco
    Beginner September 2012
    IshouldCoco ·
    • Hide content

Our son will be 3 and a half in September when we marry. I haven't given any 'name' or even role to his day. He's having the same suit as his father and best man, but I think that'll be about it. I doubt he'll even keep the waistcoat on till the end of ceremony though ?

• Autumnroseee
    Dedicated December 2022
    Autumnroseee ·
    • Hide content

I had the same dilemma with my step son.

I looked up the responsibilities of a page boy it came up with

1) help bridesmaids with brides dress (sorry but I'm not sure a 4 year old would be too impressed with that)

2) carry the rings in as a ring bearer (he's a very chatty young man and may get distracted, when I showed him my engagement ring he dropped it under the sofa! I know they'd be tied down but still!)

So I decided, because my OH is his father and his involvement is more of a father son thing. I asked my OH that when the guests are seated would he like to walk in, down the aisle hand in hand with his son... so that when he looks back he will know that he was involved, and with his dad which is more important than with me Smiley smile x

• kyanya
    Beginner June 2013
    kyanya ·
    • Hide content

Are you having bridesmaids? Could he walk down the aisle with them looking cute?

I don't think little ones need to have jobs to be involved in the wedding party - just being there for cuteness reasons alone is enough!

My OH's little brother will be 6 when we get married - I plan for him to walk down the aisle with our flower girl who'll be 4 - they can both scatter petals, but I think this is enough responsibility for each, and I don't think either would be asking why they didn't have a job if they weren't in charge of petals. Both currently know we're getting married and they will be there as flower girl/page boy, but neither know what these jobs are or what they involve, so we're completely free to decide what they do/don't do! I'm pretty sure just being given a special outfit will make them feel special and involved.

Flower girls little brother will be 2 by the time we get married - everyone has varying opinions on how involved he should be. I think he should be there looking cute and smart, and he can decide if he wants to go down the aisle on the day or not, but I think this would be enough of an achievement, without giving him a job! ?

• D
    Beginner August 2008
    dimity ·
    • Hide content

I think a wedding is such a big deal for a 3 year old, they really don't need any special job to feel involved. Just being there will probably be the biggest thing that ever happened to them.

My 3 year old boy is still learning to do things like offer biscuits around a group of people he knows well so I wouldn't ask him to give out anything to strangers. He is quite young for his age, but then boys do develop a bit slower than girls.

My daughter was a flower girl at age 2. She didn't have any jobs to do at all, she didn't even walk down the aisle or have any flowers, because hers didn't arrive from the florist! She just wore a pretty dress and had lots of photos taken of her at the reception, which was perfect for her. I gave her my buttonhole so she could do the "very important job" of holding flowers. I would just let the little boy wear a smart outfit and maybe a buttonhole, and make a fuss of that. Maybe call him a page boy but don't actually give him any tasks.

• S
    SarahThompson ·
    • Hide content

When OH and I got married my brother had 2 sons (so my nephews) they were 4 and 6 at the time. We made them page boys, so they walked down the aisle with the MOH and BM. They wore the same suits as the rest of the wedding party and looked really cute! They seemed to enjoy the day and we had actually given them the choice of what to wear. Their dad is in the Forces so he was wearing his uniform, the rest of the wedding party (ok so brother wasnt in the party but you know what I mean) were in Top hat and tails, we actually expected them to choose to wear service uniforms as their dad, but they chose the Top hat and tails, and boy did they look cute! They were not involved any other way, but they did enjoy it

• katgreene
    Beginner December 2012
    katgreene ·
    • Hide content

Just do what ever suit you and your wedding We have a 4yr old daughter and a son who will be one and a half Our daughter is ''marrying '' daddy with me and we hope that our son will be daddies best boy but that depends on how he is as a toddler Some people have been mean to my daughter telling her that she cant marry daddy and that she is not the bride but the flower girl She is 4..........why cant people let her say it if we do!!! So again do what suits you x He could be incharge of giving out oder of service or something x

• butterpopcorn
    Beginner April 2013
    butterpopcorn ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all the replies on this, everyone! I love Nicalf08's idea of carrying a "Here Comes the Bride" flag - sounds really cute and I think he would love waving the flag! Found these pictures to flash, if anyone else is interested in the idea!

• N
    Beginner June 2012
    Nicalf08 ·
    • Hide content

That top picture is what I'm trying to recreate! I did a rough draft last night with strong paper and black paint and it looked pretty good so I'm going to make two soon. I'll do a flash when I've done them because I think someone else on here wanted to see too.

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

This is lovely ! and its an idea I'm going to have to steal for my flowergirls, there will be 3 of them, 1@ 4 1/2 and 2@ 2 1/2, so the eldest can walk infront with the flag with the younger 2 holding hands behind. !! ...

Woo hoo .... ?

Thank you !!

• soontobehismrs
    Beginner May 2014
    soontobehismrs ·
    • Hide content

How cute is that frog!?! We must have one at our wedding!!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics