Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

I
Beginner October 2013

Any made or making their own candy buffet?

Irisbride, 13 of September of 2012 at 14:55 Posted on Planning 0 12

I really like these but want to do it myself. I know that you can get some cheap jars/bowls etc so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm just wondering about quantities of sweets to allow per person? We're having 150 people in the evening and have no idea really how many sweets I should be looking at buying! Any ideas?

x

12 replies

Latest activity by Bride123, 18 of September of 2012 at 13:28
  • bec84
    Beginner
    bec84 ·
    • Hide content

We did, went to Ikea and bought a load of glass jars like on the link below, all different sizes. Decorated them with some ribbon and filled them up with sweets Smiley smile

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50213546/

• bec84
    Beginner
    bec84 ·
    • Hide content

I can't really remember how many sweets we did per person, we just went to Costco and went a bit mad buying all the good ones!

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

They say to allow 100g of sweets per person. So, for 150 people you'll need 15kg. However, I'm assuming only 50% of my guests will eat the sweets, and I'd rather have no sweets left at the end of the night instead of loads being left over!

• sian-tiffany
    Beginner May 2012
    sian-tiffany ·
    • Hide content

I did a DIY candy bar. I sourced all my bowls from charity shops, Wilkinsons and friends. E.g the sunday glasses with the love hearts and Mr & Mrs candy in were 6 for 99p!! bargain. The bags (UK seller), tongs and scoops i bought off ebay, they were 99p (£1.99 for 100 bags) each from Hong Kong or China (free delivery). I managed to get the LOVE bowls off a friend who lent them to me as they cost £20+ which i was not happy to pay.

Sweetie wise i went to Makro as they had a bigger selection than other places e.g Costco. I spent £50 (inc VAT) on the sweets from there, i didnt go for brand name sweets (Haribo) as the Makro own, cant remember the name, were a) taste just the same, b) lower in price and c) got more in a box. I bought way too much but id rather that than to little, just meant i ate sweets for tea for a week. I had 126 guests and bought 12 boxes - 3 didnt even make it out my house and i had sweets left over from the night.

I also bought love hearts and Mr & Mrs rock from ebay. 100 love hearts were £4.99 (inc delivery) and the Mr & Mrs were £3.49 for 50 (inc delivery). I also bought sweeties off an ebay seller as i bought 3 (2 for the table and 1 as a gift) she did me a deal. It worked out at £12 a tree inc delivery.

• I
    Beginner October 2013
    Irisbride ·
    • Hide content

Love this! x

• Zoomo13
    Beginner August 2015
    Zoomo13 ·
    • Hide content

I now want to go out and buy lots of sweets to eat at work mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

• sian-tiffany
    Beginner May 2012
    sian-tiffany ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks ? the sweetie table went down really well, we had mainly jelly sweets as i didnt want the chocolate to melt. We did have a lot left over but at the end of the night we had a marshmellow eating comp - who can fit the most in their mouth in one go..............turns out my sister has a massive mouth. As long as you keep all the tubs you buy them in then at least you can put them back in the box and take them home, i took a load to work with the left over bags and did a mini sweetie bar at work too.

• daintydisco
    Beginner October 2013
    daintydisco ·
    • Hide content

I just saw this post https://www.hitched.co.uk/chat/forums/t/338944.aspx with items for sale so could be useful Smiley smile

• D
    Beginner March 2011
    dreamdazeweddings ·
    • Hide content

Hi we did a candy buffet for my daughters wedding in september, it was our first attempt. We already had some of the bowls and also purchased some of the jars from ikea, my husband made the step and we cordinated the table with the wedding colour.

• C
    Beginner January 2012
    coolartist87 ·
    • Hide content

Hi!! I did my own candy buffet and about all the jars off of Gumtree and we bought loads of different candy (themed with red, white and black ) and we didnt have any left over hardly (10kg for 80 people). I used various size jars (tall at the back to avoid building a tiered shelf) and it worked out beautifully. I decorated the table with the same tablecloths and table runners with personalized bags (stickers printed professionally from e-bay supplier for £2/70 stickers). Pics to come!

Whole thing cost about £100 - so not too bad!

• MrsRtoH
    Savvy October 2022 Merseyside
    MrsRtoH ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Where did your friend get the L O V E dishes from? They are so cute! xx

• B
    Beginner February 2013
    Bride123 ·
    • Hide content

Sian-Tiffany, your sweetie table is lovely! And now inspiration for mine! Where did you get the LOVE containers from? They really make a nice touch to the table :-)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics