Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*Mrs M to be*
Beginner August 2014

Any other Aberdeen brides with supplier recommendations?

*Mrs M to be*, 6 of September of 2013 at 12:50 Posted on Planning 0 12

Hi everyone!

I did stumble across another Aberdeen bride on here yesterday but wondered if there's any others?

My fiancé is from Aberdeen, I'm from the South East of England and we live in Yorkshire but are having our wedding in Aberdeenshire next year! We like to make things difficult for ourselves! Haha

We only get up to Aberdeen a few times a year to visit family etc and so I thought it was going to be an absolute nightmare organising everything from afar! So far though it's actually been quite straight forward and everything has fallen into place easily but there's now a couple of things I'm looking for that I'm struggling with! A lot of things we've booked have been through personal recommendation and I always think this is the best route to go down.

A good florist is the main one! I've actually been a florist myself for the past 12 yrs but I really don't want to have the stress of doing it all myself and so have been emailing and phoning around but I'm having a nightmare! I can't believe how many suppliers just don't reply to emails! I found a few online who's websites look gorgeous and who's work looks similar to my own but I'm having to chase them to even get any idea of price. I could really do with a personal recommendation!

Also, hair and make up. Have been on lots of websites, looked at pics and got some prices but again, a personal recommendation would be great!

Hope there's lots of Aberdeen brides on here with lots of helpful tips! :o)

12 replies

Latest activity by weddingvirgin, 27 of September of 2013 at 16:38
  • TheMrsMeFo
    Beginner April 2015
    TheMrsMeFo ·
    • Hide content

Hello,

I'm the other Aberdeen bride from yesterday! Smiley smile

Really glad you wrote this post as I was thinking on doing the same to get idea / tips / hints.

I haven't started looking at florists / make up artists yet but plan to in the next couple months. However one of my mum's friends works at Anastasia florists and all the bouquets I've had from there from my mum have been gorgeous. One of my friends raves about Love Florist as well, I think they also do cars and photography as a package along with flowers. I've heard lots of good things about Dolce Vita florists and my work use Kim Dalgeish for flower displays and again the flowers are always pretty.

Hope that helps a little.

I understand your frustation at noone replying to emails / calls - that really annoys me aswell. One of the venues we were wanting view never replied to the 2 emails I sent and noone called back to the 2 phone calls I made, so I decided that they didn't deserve our custom!

I'll be keeping an eye on this post for any handy tips etc from other local brides!!! Smiley smile

• *Mrs M to be*
    Beginner August 2014
    *Mrs M to be* ·
    • Hide content

Hiya 'Other Aberdeen Bride!' :o)

You never know, we might be the only 2 here! Haha.

Thanks for the reply. Haven't heard of Anastasia Florist, I'll have a look. Think I might have heard of Love Florist, will look at them aswell!

I drove past Kim Dalgleish last time I was up and her shop looks gorgeous! She's actually one of the ones I never heard back from though. Then there was another one I emailed. She eventually replied to me weeks later and I sent all the details and pics and we exchanged a few emails but then she just came back asking for the deposit but hadn't given me ANY idea of prices. I went back and asked for some prices and never heard back! haha. So frustrating!

My future sister in law lives down summerhill drive where Dolce Vita are and she recommended them aswell. Their pics look lovely. I've emailed them yesterday so just waiting to hear back.

I just don't understand some suppliers. It's like they don't need/ want the work. I had the same as you with a venue not even replying to my enquiry. It's so bad. Even if it's to say they're booked up, they should at least respond. Being a Florist, I know what it's like. Sometimes you're mega busy, and you might get brides enquiring about their flowers over 2 yrs before their wedding but it doesn't matter. It's business and you need to reply. Now I'm on the ther side I think maybe I'm a bit of a bridezilla! Haha. I'm like you, if people don't reply I think they don't deserve us. Like my wedding is the wedding of the century or something! lol

Fiance keeps telling me people aren't just sitting around waiting for my emails. Well, I think they should be! :o)

• W
    Beginner August 2014
    weddingvirgin ·
    • Hide content

Hiya,

I'm getting married next year in Aberdeenshire but live in Reading. At the moment we don't have much more than a registrar, venue, caterer (almost) and ceilidh band. Don't think I'm going to bother with a florist and instead get my bouquet from patchwork bride then silk flowers for my bridesmaids so not get any tips on florists. Our photographer is John Alexander Whyte who is a lot cheaper than most other photographers I found but we will have him for the whole day and most of his facebook photos look good so hoping he will be good!

The main thing I am on the hunt for is a cheap venue decorator as we are getting married in a village hall. Not sure if we will try to do most of it ourselves. Also considering hiring chairs as the ones at the venue are not very nice and I'm not all that keen on chair covers. Anyone know any?

I've not looked into hair and make up. I'm hoping my sister or Mum might be able to get a good rate from their current hairdressers!

Still in the early stages of planning so sorry not much help!

• F
    Beginner August 2013
    Frogface ·
    • Hide content

Hi ladies!

I am an Aberdeen bride...well not so much a bride now, I got married 2 weeks ago!

I used Audstar florist in Dyce. I searched for what seemed like ever to find a florist I liked and clicked with and that I thought would "get" what I had in my head. A few weeks before the wedding I started worrying that it wouldn't be what I wanted but I think I was just looking for something to worry about because she did a fabulous job and the flowers were the first thing that made me teary on the day when she delivered them. She's a lovely lady too. I've also had flowers from Kim Dalgleish and also Nicky Walker in the past and they were all brilliant too.

Make up wise, I could not recommend the ladies at Preen Beauty enough! They are on Holburn Street but come out to your venue. Laura did ours and she is amazing! Such a lovely lady too, the morning was relaxed and fun and I would say it was all down to her, I will go back to her for any future events I need make up done for. I have also heard Natalie Fearnley is good, although I heard she is maybe giving it up to pursue other things but not sure if it's true. Her photos look lovely too. My sister in law used Chicabelle make up who I think have won Scottish VOW awards or have been runner ups so they are also pretty good, although I think they are quite more expensive than others but worth it. My other SIL used Rae Mathieson who has won quite a few awards, I tried her 1st but she was fully booked, I think if you want Rae you have to book pretty far in advance.

My regular hairdresser did my hair on the day but I know that a few of my chums used Bespoke Hair & Beauty in Laurencekirk who came to them.

Anything else I can help with let me know! I miss all the planning!!!

• *Mrs M to be*
    Beginner August 2014
    *Mrs M to be* ·
    • Hide content

Hiya!

Thanks for the tips! I'll look into them all!

Hope you're wedding day was fab! What venue did you have?

x

• TheMrsMeFo
    Beginner April 2015
    TheMrsMeFo ·
    • Hide content

Loving all the tips and recommendations!!

I chose my dress at the weekend so now i'm onto arranging the photographer. I met with Janie Barclay and Kelly from KAD Photography yesterday at a wedding exhibition and they were both really nice. However I'm swinging slightly towards Janie Barclay as when she emailed me her price list this morning she mentioned the ideas I had told her about yesterday and I thought that was really great that she remembered that, made the email more personal than just a price list. However KAD do a lot of family / children photos and since we have 2 little ones we are wanting a photographer that can get the best out of kids since they are our flower girl and page boy!

I have heard good things about Preen Beauty so will def keep a note of them for potential make up artists!

:0) x

• ApricotTree
    Beginner December 2013
    ApricotTree ·
    • Hide content

I'm not going to be an aberdeenshire bride (getting married in Bristol) but I do originate from up there! We're actually spending our winter wedding season up there and have been taking on photography/videography for weddings in the region. We've heard the same about a lot of vendors not getting back to people or having very inflated prices. I think there is just less competition up there so a little easier for vendors to pick and choose the weddings they want to cover.

Good luck on finding everything/everyone you need to make all your days perfect - might be worth seeing if there are any scottish facebook groups with feedback on vendors?

• F
    Beginner August 2013
    Frogface ·
    • Hide content

We had our whole day at The Palm Court.

There are 2 local facebook pages I know of that are a big help with suppliers and just general wedding advice. You may already be a member but if you want the link let me know x

• *Mrs M to be*
    Beginner August 2014
    *Mrs M to be* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ok, I know the palm court! Lovely hotel.

I'd love the links if that's ok. I'm also following up a couple of your suggestions re. Florists and hair and make up so thanks for that!

• W
    Beginner August 2014
    weddingvirgin ·
    • Hide content

Also there is the scottish wedding directory website which has a forum as well which is quite useful and lots of scottish brides to be on there.

• W
    Beginner August 2014
    weddingvirgin ·
    • Hide content

Frogface - I was wondering if you could send me the links/names of the fb groups thanks!!

• F
    Beginner August 2013
    Frogface ·
    • Hide content

Oh wow I completely forgot to post the links - sorry Smiley smile

https://www.facebook.com/groups/170597479719739/

and

https://www.facebook.com/groups/372109609518544/

The links should both work but let me know if you have any trouble x

• W
    Beginner August 2014
    weddingvirgin ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the links. hope the planning is going well!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics