Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Naomi
Beginner November 2021 Surrey

Any other Autumn / winter brides having a wobble about Covid?

Naomi, 23 of August of 2021 at 19:29 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hi all,

Apologies for the slightly self-indulgent post (and sorry if this bums anyone out!) but would love any advice / input from anyone else getting married in Autumn / winter this year.

I'm having a bit of a wobble about our wedding which is end of November 2021. We're due to have 150 guests which obviously we can currently do now that restrictions have been lifted, and we've been really excited and grateful that we can go ahead. The caterers want to be paid in full three months before-hand which means I'm due to hand over thousands of pounds to them in the next week or so, but I can't help wondering if I'm being an idiot and being too trusting that restrictions won't be reintroduced.

I really want to just enjoy the process now but having been glued to Covid stats for the last eighteen months I can't help but get really anxious if I hear or see someone mention that we're due an Autumn / winter surge and cases are going to continue rising. Once I part with this money we won't be able to get it back or carry it over to a new date if restrictions on numbers or god forbid another lockdown gets re-introduced, because the caterers will have already spent some of it on booking staff for our date! I'm going to get some wedding insurance before I pay any big cash amounts but obviously it doesn't cover Covid.

On the other hand maybe I'm being too pessimistic, but I wondered if anyone else was going through the same thing as I sometimes feel sick with worry about it. Brides with big weddings this winter, are you just ploughing on and planning for restriction-free weddings now? I'd love to hear from other people and would love to know if you've finally been able to get excited about things! I think maybe the past year has affected me more than I thought, as I just feel like I can't trust anything and we're constantly just being gaslit!

5 replies

Latest activity by Hayley, 26 of August of 2021 at 19:19
  • Voiceoftruth
    Dedicated October 2021 Oxfordshire
    Voiceoftruth ·
    • Hide content

We aren’t having a big wedding, but big enough for restrictions to affect us if they do reintroduce them. Personally, I’m not as worried about it... I think that’s partly because we decided to get married on our date regardless. Once we made that decision (which we made last October), I’ve felt so at ease. If our reception is delayed, I’ll be sad, sure, but I just want to be married!!

• Marcie
    Rockstar August 2021 Bristol
    Marcie ·
    • Hide content
    I don’t think we will see restrictions like we have previously , maybe mask wearing but I believe the government will be very reluctant to bring back stricter measures unless they really have no choice. We have the booster jabs being offered from September and we haven’t seen the 100000 cases that were predicted so stay strong and positive x
  • M
    Beginner November 2021 Gloucestershire
    Mar ·
    • Hide content
    I can understand how you feel…We are planning a 120 people wedding for the beginning of November 2021 (postponed from November 2020). I am actually not too worried about restrictions - I don’t think they will introduce any as we are seeing in Australia that lockdowns are not as effective against Delta (9 weeks of strict lockdowns and cases are rising). A lockdown would be to reduce numbers a little bit to prevent the NHS from being overwhelmed but I hope that is achieved by vaccines. In winter last year there were I think 4x the daily hospitalisations we have today for similar numbers. My view (which is more of a hope than a scientific opinion!) is that if cases stay below 100k daily and a booster dose is given to the elderlies and other more vulnerable categories restrictions will not be introduced.

My main concerns however are around us or guest getting it before the wedding (we are going to isolate for 3 weeks before the wedding!) or at the wedding (most if not all our guests are double vaccinated however and we are asking everyone to do a test before attending.) We are also only having 10 people over 60 (small families!) including our parents.
    We asked everyone to do a test before my hen do and one of my friends had asymptomatic COVID. She didn’t come of course, and no one (20 girls) came down with it after the weekend, which is a relief!
    x
  • B
    Savvy October 2021 Oxfordshire
    Bella ·
    • Hide content
    We’re October & I’m definitely anxious about it. We’ll keep to ourselves as much as we can in the weeks before the wedding but both have to physically be in work. We also have school age children so it’s going to be really tricky, not to mention stressful leading up to the day.
    We are asking guests to lateral flow test on the morning of the wedding before setting off, for everyone’s safety & peace of mind.
  • Hayley
    Rockstar September 2022 Norfolk
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    We're September next year and I am anxious about that so I totally understand you are feeling that way. I think there will be mass protest if any tight restrictions come in.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics