Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

WickyWack
Beginner July 2013

Any Passport Office people??

WickyWack, 6 of October of 2014 at 11:11 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 19

I am applying for a renewal of my passport (surname change) and am having problems with the countersignature part. I am including new photographs as the old ones are super old and they don't really hold much resemblance anymore. I have asked my colleague (a professor) to sign but she has only known me for 18 months. The rules state 2 years. The few suitable people I have known for 2years+ don't have valid uk passports so I am in a bit of a pickle! My GP/dentist won't sign either. Will I be okay since its only a renewal? Don't want to spend £80 and have the application rejected..

19 replies

Latest activity by kharv, 9 of October of 2014 at 09:24
  • M
    Beginner January 2015
    murphy88 ·
    • Hide content

I can't help to much but does your local post office have a passport service they'll be able to advise you

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

I just renewed to change my name (had to send new photos too) and didn't need it countersigned. That's just for your first passport I believe.

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Same here ATB. Also sent new pics and didn't have to have anything countersigned when I changed name and photo.

• Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·
    • Hide content

I just renewed mine & I didn't need to countersign- you only need that for your first passport. You just update the photos.

• Forever Wedding Dance
    Rockstar September 2013
    Forever Wedding Dance ·
    • Hide content

Just did mine this summer and it said something like it was fine to just send new pics (no signing necessary) as long as you still resembled your old photos - i.e. they could tell it was the same person. If you look wildly different to your old photos then it might be worth checking at the post office.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I've just sent mine off and it didn't say anything about countersigning those photos - as said above, I think that's just for your first passport.

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

I think you'll be fine without a countersignatory:

https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications

• *Teabag*
    Beginner June 2013
    *Teabag* ·
    • Hide content

I haven't changed mine yet as it still has 6 years left on it. Does anyone know if they transfer any time left on the old one onto the new one?

I am too tight to pay to change it but it is a pain remembering to book flights etc in my old name!

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

You can only transfer a maximum of 9 months. It really annoys me too. I'll have 5 years remaining on mine after I get married:

https://www.gov.uk/changing-passport-information

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

They say you need it coubtersigned if you might not look like your old pics. When I went up to the passport office to get mine, they refused two people at thr counters by me as they didn't have countersignature and they were saying they didn't look enough like the pic in their previous passport. I saw one and personally though she was being a bit picky. If time doesn't matter too much then its worth changing (if you look like your photo) but if you're in a rush - it might be worth trying to find someone? I think post office might advise as part of the check and send service though so worth doing that.

• WickyWack
    Beginner July 2013
    WickyWack ·
    • Hide content

What an absolute mare this is turning out to be! Went to my 'check and send' post office last night and they said that I need a countersignature and two new photos..FFS!! My passport is still in date, I just need to change my name - why do I need new pictures if I am just changing my name and applying for a renewal?

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I sometimes think the 'check and send' people at the post office just always err on the side of caution.

Are you in a rush? If not, I'd just send it off and see what the actual passport office say.

• WickyWack
    Beginner July 2013
    WickyWack ·
    • Hide content

I've decided to do it online - seems pretty straight forward. I need to send 2 new photos, my marriage cert, and old passport - they ask you to sign a declaration and haven't asked for any countersignatures.

Fingers crossed this goes through okay! No real rush but hubby keeps asking me to get it done, maybe he's planning to take me away - now that would be nice! x

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is what I've just done. I sent if off last week so I'll keep you posted!

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

I just did the very same thing, applied online, two new photos and my marriage certificate. It only took two weeks to come back, then a few days later I got the old passport and my certificate back.

I had a passport photo rejected once because I was too pale. Erm, that's my skin.... I'd gone into the passport office to use the express service. I caused a right stooshie but in the end I had to back down as I needed it quickly. I went to a Benefit counter, she made me orange, I went back and had new photos taken and they approved it. I was very glad to get rid of that photo!

• WickyWack
    Beginner July 2013
    WickyWack ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh jeez, that's ridiculous!!

Glad you've done the online thing too ladies, Smiley smile

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

Jeez atb that sounds crazy!! I've got to sort mine ours again. I've been told we''ll have to go to a passport office as they''re stolen but I'm hoping not as I really can't be bothered with all that again!

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

It was a total joke. I was standing infront of them, they could see it was me!

Lots of other 'customers' got in on it too, they overheard and were all arguing their support for me. Caused a totaly rammy that day! It still annoys me! especially as I had to travel for years on a passport with my face the colour of terracotta sunrise and it cost me an extra £5 for the new photos on top of £95 odd I was already paying! ?

I'm sure your passport will come back just fine and I hope H has something good planned!

• MummyMoo82
    Beginner October 2012
    MummyMoo82 ·
    • Hide content

I did mine online and it was very straightforward. I got my youngest his passport and got it back within 2 weeks!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I've just had a text from the passport office saying my new passport is being printed. So that's good!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics