Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

allymc
Beginner May 2007

Any plumbing experts around? Electric shower probs

allymc, 10 of February of 2009 at 20:54 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 6

We're going to be moving out of our flat in about 6 weeks time and typically the electric shower has died this week. We'll be letting the flat so we need to get it sorted. In a nutshell, it's a period property that was split in to flats many years ago and a number of corners were cut! The electric shower hasn't been fixed to the tiles, the tiles have been fixed around it which is apparently a no no. We've had a plumber in today to look at it. He's told us to find an electric shower approximately the same size as the current one and to buy one which is okay to be tiled around it. H has been to B&Q and Wickes but they all appear to need to be fixed on top of the tiles. H has bought one but I dread to think what the consequences will be if the plumber needs to tile underneath it first....................I assume that the water pipe and the electrics won't be long enough to reach.

I have a feeling what appears to be a fairly straightforward job is going to escalate! Can anyone advise? TIA ?

6 replies

Latest activity by Isabella, 29 of March of 2023 at 22:33
  • legless
    Beginner
    legless ·
    • Hide content

Its supposed to go on top of the tiles, if you tile around it you could struggle to get it off if needed and water can leak down the back into your wall.

legless

(most of the way through training to be a technical advisor on showers (can i get any more dull?))

• allymc
    Beginner May 2007
    allymc ·
    • Hide content

Thanks legless. H has come back with a new shower which does indeed need to be fitted on top of the tiles, he's also bought tiles and some grout! I'm just concerned that once the shower is mounted on the tiles the existing water pipe and power cables won't be easy to connect up (as in they'll then be too short to reach!). Is that likely to be the case do you think? Will obviously contact the plumber in the morning.................I guess I'm just thinking worst case scenario!

• Gryfon
    Gryfon ·
    • Hide content

You can get extenders for the pipes which shouldn't be that hard for a decent plumber to solder on, and if you need more cable for the electric then it's not too hard to add some extra onto that either. Shouldn't be a major job I wouldn't think.

• legless
    Beginner
    legless ·
    • Hide content

WGS. shouldn't be a major job.

• allymc
    Beginner May 2007
    allymc ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Gryfon. I just envisaged the whole job snowballing and them having to take down a partition wall to get to the pipework/ electrics behind the shower!

• allymc
    Beginner May 2007
    allymc ·
    • Hide content

Many thanks both for the reassurances ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics