Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

I
Beginner October 2012

Any1 done a DIY divorce? need advice

irishsorone, 10 June, 2009 at 10:45 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 11

I've been separated from my husband for over a year now and we really want a divorce ASAP, we dont even just want to wait until the 2 year thing, we're both willing to have anything cited as the reason and agree to anything! There are no disputes over money, houses and we sort our childcare issues ourselves, so nothing to sort there!

The problem is money so we decided to do it ourselves! What we're trying to find out now is if we can get reduced court fees? anyone know anything? ive been checking the court service site and im going to apply for remission but does anyone have any experience of this?

Also, how soon would it take to come through?

11 replies

Latest activity by irishsorone, 16 June, 2009 at 12:54
  • St. Knickerless
    Beginner August 2002
    St. Knickerless ·
    • Hide content

My friend was in a similar position to you, and used this site. They come with her recommentdation.

https://www.divorce-online.co.uk/

I know that there are other similar sites, but dont know what they are like.

• C
    Beginner February 2006
    Carrot ·
    • Hide content

I did mine DIY and the court costs were approx £300 (this was 5 years ago)- I don't think you get a reduction for the court time as the court still has to do the same amount of work as they would if you weren't DIY iyswim. Where you do save massively is on solictors' fees- mine cost the grand total of £5 for witnessing my affidavit.

Mine was done and dusted within 3 months or so.

• C
    Beginner February 2006
    Carrot ·
    • Hide content

PS I'm not condoning lying but no one checked that we'd actually been separated for 2 years. Might save you having to make up unreasonable behaviour or adultery.

• Diefenbaker
    Beginner September 2008
    Diefenbaker ·
    • Hide content

We are - soon to be ex Mr Dief is doing petitioning so not sure of all the details but I think it's costing £350 for court costs (no solicitors). And should be done in 3 months. i think he downloaded the form from the court website.

• I
    Beginner October 2012
    irishsorone ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

so your whole divorce cost £5? whats affidavit?

There is a thing called exceptions and remissions to get reduced fees, i dont think id get an exception but was wondering if anyone had any experience of getting a remission and what i should write.

3 months sounds good, my boyf is taking me on holiday for my 30th in October and he has a thing about taking someone who is married on holiday!

• I
    Beginner October 2012
    irishsorone ·
    • Hide content

I thought they'd look for evidence of us being separated for 2 years, sounds good to me

• Diefenbaker
    Beginner September 2008
    Diefenbaker ·
    • Hide content

Not Carrot, obviously, but an affadavit is just a statement that you make that everything you have said is true. only the petitioner needs to do it, not the respondent. I think Carrot was saying that the divorce cost her £300 + £5 for the affadavit.

personally, I wouldn't be comfortable about lying about being separated for 2 years. You said that you've both agreed to it so why not go down the adultery (if you have a boyfriend and are still technically married it counts as adultery) or unreasonable behaviour route (6 examples required)?

I do find it funny that your boyfriend will happily be your boyfriend but is not happy about taking you on holiday if you're still married... ?

• I
    Beginner October 2012
    irishsorone ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah know what you mean, he doesnt always make alot of sense! I think hes thinking marriage! I personnaly just want a divorce coz my ex's girlfirend's causing trouble saying she thinks i want him back so i think a divorce may make the message clear! Nevermind the fact that i put him out of course and im the one thats pushing the divorce

• C
    Beginner February 2006
    Carrot ·
    • Hide content

Yes, Diefenbaker's understood correctly- £315 in total because I also paid £10 for a pack from WH Smith with all the forms in it.

If you're the one who's going to be admitting the adultery then your husband will need to be the petitioner and complete the initial form. I recommend the WH Smith pack if they still do them because it explains all the steps in the process.

• I
    Beginner October 2012
    irishsorone ·
    • Hide content

I have to admit that its not going to be as easy as I thought, my husband got me all the forms from the court and theres so much legal stuff to understand and the lingo!

I think my first step is completing the remission form to see if I can get reduced fees but even thats a bit complicated! I know court staff cant provide legal advice but can they help you make sure what you're doing is right!

The stuff the court gave us states that I have to go to an interview too as its a personal petition! Also, as we were married abroad (Vegas) I have to get an expert to validate our wedding certificate, dont have a clue where to start with that!

Legally we're both committing adultery but hes happy enough with me citing him as commiting adultery, dont think ill name her though! Jez its def harder to get divorced than it was to get married!

• S
    Beginner December 2007
    Sez ·
    • Hide content

If you use divorce online then you download a package which helps you complete all the forms. You also get a helpline number you can ring if you get stuck on something.

• I
    Beginner October 2012
    irishsorone ·
    • Hide content

I wanted to use an online company but we really are so tight on money and I have a funny feeling that my husband will say at the last minute that hes not gonna contribute!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics