Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

lilrach22
Beginner July 2012

anybody having an afternoon wedding and only evening reception?

lilrach22, 26 May, 2011 at 13:27 Posted on Planning 0 12

Hi

we r having our church wedding at 3pm then we r going straight on to an evening reception but i have no idea how the eveningreception will work!

for example should i provide canepes or just champage/ sparkling wine on arrival after the church

should i set up a top table even though there will be no formal meal?

when should we do the speeches?

i just have no idea!

thanks in advance for any help!

12 replies

Latest activity by Cajy, 26 May, 2011 at 14:53
  • Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

Are you having food at all?

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

Hi! we're doing the same thing but civil ceremony not church.

the wedding is at 3.30 - then were having champagne and canapes on the terrace (sounds uber posh!) then wakling through the park to the reception where we'll have 8 tables set up - no top table. and were planning to bring out the buffet in 2 stages so every gets some food and its not sitting out all night.

Were having evenig guests arrive at 6.30 and at 7.30 the dj will announch the speeches, cutting of cake and first dance so by 8.15pm hopefully, the party will be in full swing! x

• C
    Beginner June 2013
    Cajy ·
    • Hide content

Not set in stone yet, but will probs have the ceremony at 4pm, with the main meal (3 or 4 courses) at 7.30. Will provide canapes and welcome drinks for guests as they'll prob arrive at the venue around 5-5.30 (coming directly from ceremony venue after pics). There won't be an 'evening reception' because we don't have evening guests. The speeches are goiing to be before the meal as well as people will probably be too drunk by the end of the meal to pay attention!

• lilrach22
    Beginner July 2012
    lilrach22 ·
    • Hide content

Ooo that sounds good we will be having a buffett and i didnt consider bringing it out in 2 halves, our reception will be in the church hall which is a short walk from the church through the church gardens!

are you having your buffet just set out on a table or r u having servers? i found a catering company that do excellentfood and for only an extra £1 per head offer a servingpackage with staff crockery and cutlery i quite like the idea of this!

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

Were having it on a table and there will be staff there if we need them.

We wanted it very informal and relaxed, i dont want people all sitting down i want them up dancing! x

• MrsShark
    Beginner September 2011
    MrsShark ·
    • Hide content

Kinda, we are getting married and having the reception in the same place though but this is our approximate plan;

2.30pm - ceremony

3pm - photos & mingling

4pm - afternoon tea canapes (little scones and nibbles)

6pm - cake cutting (so the venue can get it all portioned up to serve as dessert)

6.30pm - speeches (get them out of the way so the 'speakers' can chill!)

7.30pm - BBQ served

9pm - first dance

All our guests are there from the start to finish, we're not having a separate evening do.

• navychick
    Beginner August 2011
    navychick ·
    • Hide content

Our ceremony and reception are at the same venue, so our timings are:-

4pm ceremony

4.30pm - welcome drinks

5.00 pm - photos

6.00pm - BBQ

The times are a bit rough, so we'll see how it goes..

As we're limited on guests for the reception, we've invited other friends to join us for drinks at 8.30pm, but we're not providing any further food during the evening.

We did consider canapes before the meal, but they were quite pricey for what you got.

We're not having a formal top table, but will be having a round table with parents and OHs two teenage daughters - I didn't want them sat at either end of the table with just my dad and OHs mum to talk to, I wanted to keep it pretty informal and relaxed for them.

• K
    Beginner June 2011
    kat73 ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married at 4pm we have got a table plan purely because we didnt want people wandering around not knowing where to sit its not a very formal wedding having a cold fork buffet for day guests evening guests invited from 7pm will have a finger buffet later on . Trying to keep cost down so we wont be having canapies or a recption drink the bar will be open only providing wine for toast

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

I am getting married at 3pm. Having speeches on the terrace after photos then at 5.30 on to the BBQ. Evening guests at 7.30pm and we are having cakes, toffee apples and candy table only so it's mobile food and there will be more mingling.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

My daughter's went something like:-

Wedding at 3pm

3.45 Drinks outside till 5ish which included photos being taken and guests entertained by Jazz Band

5.30ish everyone was seated

5.45 hot chargrilled buffet put out and replenished as people helped themselves so it stayed hot

7.00 ish speeches, toasts and thank you pressie time.

More photos in between all this too

8.15 ish pm Disco and first dance

8.30 ish a few people arrived who had to work (wedding was on a Friday)

9pm Photographer went home

9.ish pork pie and peas and more food which was replenished as needed until 11pm.

Dancing and merriment till 1am.

Hope that helps. They married and had reception in the same venue.

Edited to say that food was all one menu that was halved so we didn't pay for two separate buffets as such. The pork pie was actually a pork pie cake which they had in addition to the wedding cake. Our local butcher made it which was a real bargain for £45! The venue kindly agreed to supply hot peas with it for us.

• C
    Beginner June 2013
    Cajy ·
    • Hide content

Oooh, sounds like you're having something I hope to have! Can't wait for your report to see how it pans out!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics