Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Pittabre

Anybody know much about Calisthenics?

Pittabre, 18 October, 2010 at 15:04 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 6

When younger took exercise to an excess and rather fancied myself and my trim muscles? Went to uni and never found the same amount of time to devote to it anymore. When I do exercise the muscles tone up fairly easily again.

Roll forward to now... I have hypermobility which means that my joints move far more than they should do (sometimes known as double jointedness). It is exacerbated during pregnancy and am currently in a bit of pain due to it.

Have seen a physio who basically told me that a lot fo the exercises/sports I used to do were bad for me and ahd made things worse. However she did recommend that when no longer pregnant and therefore not as in a bad shape to try pilates and calistenics.

As I am looking forwad to not being pregnant and being able to exercise I want to plan ahead for this. I will need to concentrate on strengthening the muscles around my pelvis and hips as it is mainly my hips that pop out fo joint easily. Although my elbows and knees will need help as well.

So can anyone advise??

6 replies

Latest activity by crafty em, 18 October, 2010 at 16:15
  • teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Nope sorry. I swear your thread title read 'Anybody know much about catholics?'

sheesh.... sorry. As you were.

• Pittabre
    Pittabre ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

??

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

I do pilates (well, used to go 3 times a week, every week, but haven't been in two months due to work, bah humbug). Instead of it being mat based it was on a reformer machine and the difference was amazing.

It's this sort of thing:

www.beautcamppilates.co.uk

• Pittabre
    Pittabre ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That looks very different to what the physio was describing. She was talking about increasing my 'core stability' and making sure I didn't over stretch. Its specfically the problem with me I'm too stretching and bendy and need to work at tightening everything up, rather than loosening if that makes any sense?

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

The basis of the stuff I do is core strength and stability. You can then adapt it to make you more flexible (as I do, but you won't need to!)

• Pittabre
    Pittabre ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What sort of things do you do for that then?

• crafty em
    Beginner June 2008
    crafty em ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

??

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics