Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

donnyette
Beginner December 2016

anybody making their own bouquet and buttonholes?

donnyette, 1 of March of 2014 at 16:33 Posted on Planning 0 19

I wonder if anybody has any advice on how to source and make real or artificial flowers to make our own bouquets and buttonholes.

I have been dress shopoing and have fell in love with a dress £300 over budget so need to save some money somewhere and flowers are not that important to me.

Thanks all x

19 replies

Latest activity by MrsToffee, 1 of March of 2014 at 23:22
  • pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

My plan is to make my own and I'm buying bits as I go along. Pinterest, You Tube, Video Jug and the internet in general have loads of tutorials. BUt if you're not that fussed about what you have, you can get osme nice flowers from ebay for very reasonable prices. For me, I want to have a go as I like the idea of making as much as I can Smiley smile

Good luck Smiley smile

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    HundredMonkeys ·
    • Hide content

I'm making my bridesmaid bouquets. I went on a two day floristry course and they taught us how to make buttonholes, bouquets, pew ends, table centrepieces, etc...it was great! And much easier than I thought! Have a look at your local adult education centre or have a look at youtube tutorials.

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

My mum did a floristry course 30yrs ago, so I helped her make all our bouquets & button holes.

There is a large flower market on Sundays in Colombia road, London, E2- if you are anyway nearby, but they sell fresh flowers only

For wires, oasis etc, have you tried ebay or hobbycraft?

• donnyette
    Beginner December 2016
    donnyette ·
    • Hide content

No where near lonon im afraid. Im in Worcestershire. Have looked on ebay and found a few. Didnt even think of hobbycraft and there is one by me so will take a visit.

Thanks x

• miss pickle
    Beginner June 2014
    miss pickle ·
    • Hide content

I made my buttonholes out of felt and fabric; maybe not quite what you were thinking of but I am quite pleased with them and they were easy to do ;-)

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

They are fabulous!!!

• H
    Beginner November 2014
    Hisgirl ·
    • Hide content

I'm making the bridesmaids flowers and grooms buttonhole and jazzing up the other button holes (39p each from http://www.artificialflowersonline.co.uk/products/Ivory-Rosebud-Button-Hole-Corsage-with-Fern.html)

I am using fake lillies for the adults bridesmaids and will have three with diamante ribbon wrapped round the stems.

The flowers girls are having roses and I am using ivory picks in them and will wraps the rose stems with floral tapes to start and wrap the whole handle with satin ribbon and add a large bow.

For grooms buttonhole I am using two lily heads and some diamante and ivory picks and some long grass to make a sort of cage and will wrap in ribbon.

For the other button holes I am just wrapping the stems with ribbon.

hth x

• miss pickle
    Beginner June 2014
    miss pickle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks ?

• Mispinkprincess
    Beginner September 2014
    Mispinkprincess ·
    • Hide content

Yes out of pearls Smiley smile obviously it's unfinished

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Looking fab. Can I ask what guage wire you're using please?

• donnyette
    Beginner December 2016
    donnyette ·
    • Hide content

Wow mispinkprincess that looks AMAZING! , I would love a brooch bouquet or something along those lines. Havent the foggiest where to start though. Any advice x

• Mispinkprincess
    Beginner September 2014
    Mispinkprincess ·
    • Hide content

1mm aluminum

• Mispinkprincess
    Beginner September 2014
    Mispinkprincess ·
    • Hide content

It was pretty easy just time consuming I'm still not finished! There's a link to my blog in my sig where I've written a how to, need to update tho as I actually used 1 middle brooch and 5 brooches around that to make the shape then carried on with the pearls. I also glue gunned the brooches together for stability

• Mispinkprincess
    Beginner September 2014
    Mispinkprincess ·
    • Hide content

It was pretty easy just time consuming I'm still not finished! There's a link to my blog in my sig where I've written a how to, need to update tho as I actually used 1 middle brooch and 5 brooches around that to make the shape then carried on with the pearls. I also glue gunned the brooches together for stability

• slou90
    Beginner April 2014
    slou90 ·
    • Hide content

My mum is my DIY queen ...she is also making real flower button holes and corsages x

• donnyette
    Beginner December 2016
    donnyette ·
    • Hide content

I saw those on your post the other day slou. Your mom has done an amazing job. She really should think of making it a business. She would get loads of custom.

I have decided to make my own bouquet of artificial red roses and a few white calla lilys mixed in. Have seen some pics on google and they look gorgeous. Also making a smaller version for my daughters posy.

Ordered some calla lilys off ebay tonight for 4 quid. Cant go wrong! X

• MrsToffee
    Expert April 2015
    MrsToffee ·
    • Hide content

I'm hoping to do all my flowers myself; buttonholes are so easy to do and had a go at doing centrepieces today; am going to start a thread and flash in a mo, which were obviously trickier but looked brilliant (if I say so myself!) am yet to try a bouquet, a long arrangement for the top table, and a round arrangement on a pole. I've done a Christmas garland for a mantle piece before so imagine that will be similar idea to top table and also bought a book from Amazon which has fabulous advice.

We will be using real flowers and so far for practising have got them from the market in my town and if their prices are anything to go by it will cost around £150 for 5 centrepieces, a top table arrangment, two round arrangements, my bouquet and 3 bridesmaids bouquets but am going to see if I can get them wholesale and therefore cheaper, obviously the main saving is the labour costs but would be cheaper again if you use artificial flowers because you can practise with those as well as using them on the day!

• donnyette
    Beginner December 2016
    donnyette ·
    • Hide content

Omg I didnt even think about a top table display. See, im not that fussed with flowers lol.

Thought I would do my own. Saves money and need something to fill my boring days as I work nights x

• MrsHappilyEverAfter
    Beginner June 2013
    MrsHappilyEverAfter ·
    • Hide content

I made my own bouquet along with my 3 bridesmaids. Everyone was really complementary on the day and they only cost me around £30 by buying the articifical flowers from a cash and carry.

• MrsToffee
    Expert April 2015
    MrsToffee ·
    • Hide content

I think I'm making things difficult for myself because of wanting so many flowers but love a challenge! There are lots of other things you could do for the top table that wouldn't involve flowers.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics