Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner December 2012

Anyone been to a wedding at 10.30am before?

LEA2012, 2 February, 2012 at 13:30 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hi there,

This is my first post and so I hope I am doing it in the right place! I got engaged on christmas day and last week we booked our wedding for 28th December 2012.

We wanted a wedding in between christmas and new year for various reasons and the 28th which is Friday was perfect for us and so when we saw our perfect venue was available we went for it! We havn't sent back the terms and deposit yet and so technically speaking could change the day although because of family travelling, festive holidays etc we want to stay with the date.

Anyway, the only time the registrar has left is 10.30am. Initially this was a disaster for me as it wasnt my perfect 1o clock that I wanted and I thought nobody would want to come that early and potentially have periods of hanging around with nothing to do in the afternoon. However after my brief tears and after speaking with my other half and my mum I've calmed down a bit now and realise it is not the end of the world it will just be a bit of a longer day than expected!

We were having a drinks and canapes reception beforehand but we are going to ask the hotel if this can be directly after the ceremony instead of before it and hopefully that should take us through to about 12.30 - 1pm before we sit down for the wedding breakfast. My mum suggested after the meal people will be aware that there will be more time than usual from their invites and so they can decide what they want to do whether it be stay in the bar, go for a walk or even go for a sleep but I was thinking maybe we could plan some kind of activity for this time for people who may not have a room to go to.

So I suppose the help I am looking for is 1. Has anyone ever been to a wedding that started this early? and 2. Does anyone have any ideas of what we could do for people for the bit of the gap??

Thank you :-) x

5 replies

Latest activity by debs35, 2 February, 2012 at 18:07
  • lurvlytwink
    Beginner June 2012
    lurvlytwink ·
    • Hide content

Wowzers that is early. liek you say though it will just make your special that little bit longer.

might be nice to highlight in your invites though that there will be a gap in the day so people are able to have a choice what to do.

i'm not sure what you could do though in the gap. i like your mums idea of a snooze haha

• DarkMoomin
    Beginner June 2012
    DarkMoomin ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

We deliberately chose an 11am ceremony. We aren't in a hotel so no chance of a snooze for guests, but the venue has large abd beautiful gardens, so we have given about an hour and 3/4 between ceremony and breakfast for a few group photo's and for guests to take in the gardens etc while we have some of our couple photo's done.

Then between about 3.30/4 and 7 we will have a garden party outside with garden party games etc.

I suppose what activity you put on during the 'down' time will depend on the style of your day - could you do a quiz?, have board games out? Atreasure hunt?

I think it is a good idea to warn [people about the gap either in advance or on the day... and I also think its good to have something going on. I have often found,t hat if I'm not staying in the venue, that lull before the evening can actually be more tiring than a long full day - IYSWIM.

However, certainyl not a disaster!

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

Firstly think about the logistics from your point of view - will there be enough time in the morning to get ready, travel to the venue etc? My sister got married at 12 and the hairdresser came round at 8am. Factor in things like that to see if it's workable.

It's also a very long day at a wedding. What time are you expecting the reception to end? You'll be dead on your feet by the end of it!

Also, what about your guests travelling to the venue? Will they be able to travel there on the morning, or will some have to stay over the night before, which would be an added cost.

I like your idea of planning something for your guests. Personally, after my first couple of drinks at a wedding, I get quite tipsy and am geared up for the day. I wouldn't really want to go back to my room and have a lie down - I'd want to keep going (not only for the fact that if I went for a lie down, I'd probably never get up again!).

DarkMoomin has some good ideas about something to fill the gap, although as she says, these would depend on the style of your day and would fit well with an informal, laid back type of day. Alternatively, you could put suggestions in your invitations about things to do near your venue.

Personally, whilst of course I'd go to a wedding at 10.30, I'd honestly prefer it to be a bit later in the day. It's a long day for the guests as well as the couple.

• llindsey
    Beginner June 2012
    llindsey ·
    • Hide content

You could always do the legal part at the registry office in the morning slot with your close family, then have a Humanist blessing at the venue in the afternoon. or if your in Scotland, the Humanist ceremony is legal.

Maybe not exactly what you have planned, but might work out better for you.

• princesssaraht
    Beginner December 2012
    princesssaraht ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I think that although it early you only get one shot at having a dream wedding so just enjoy - everyone always says it goes too fast. I saw on a different forum somebody had various activities, such as a video of their hen party showing in one room, making a music wedding video, wedding themed party games, and a quiz about the couple. Of course it all depends on your venue - my venue is by a lake so I could have a boat trip if I wanted, or go to the animal park next door for a couple of hours. Look around at what is nearby and see if there is anything that could make it a bit more fun.

My wedding is December too, and I would have loved to have reindeers, but they are out of my budget - about £1500 for two. But if you could afford this you could have an area for people to go for pictures etc. Fireworks could also be useful at filling in some time in the evening.

Hope you think of something!

• D
    Beginner August 2013
    debs35 ·
    • Hide content

How about asking your photographer if he/she would be happy to do couple shots for your guests? as they will be dressed up for your wedding? maybe set up an area for this that people can pose for their special photos?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics