Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner

Anyone been to a wedding at Paradise Wildlife Park, Herts? (know of other unusual venues in Herts/Essex/N London etc?)

Jaynec36, 31 of August of 2010 at 13:57 Posted on Planning 0 19

Hello
The heading says it all really. Spotted it as a venue - you can have the ceremony next to one of the animal enclosures followed by the reception in the Safari Suite or a marquee.

I've never been there so have no idea what it's like but it sounds different.

I'm looking for something a bit more unusual as we want more of a DIY wedding so if anyone has any suggestions, they'd be much appreciated.

Cheers

Jayne x

19 replies

Latest activity by EPW Photography (HIB), 9 of September of 2010 at 14:09
  • rebecca2286
    Beginner April 2011
    rebecca2286 ·
    • Hide content

I looked at this too! I was concerned about the weather though, I also have vague recollections that it was quite expensive.

Woburn safari park hold weddings too and I know woburn is a good zoo as my bridesmaid is an elephant handler there! lol!

• J
    Beginner
    Jaynec36 ·
    • Hide content

It doesn't look too expensive - within my budget for the ceremony/food/alcohol and my budget it quite limited. The woman wants us to go and visit but I wanted photos first as haven't seen the room they're talking about.

Where have you decided on? We've only just started looking and have been shocked by the prices some of them charge.

Jayne x

• rebecca2286
    Beginner April 2011
    rebecca2286 ·
    • Hide content

We've decided on south farm, on the herts/cambs border. Beautiful venue, exclusive use for the day so only the staff and our guests will be on site. All sustainable, they grow all they're own food etc etc. Beautiful barn and house.

Annoyingly the front page of their website was hacked this weekend and they are working on getting it fixed. Normally its www.south-farm.co.uk

I'll flash when im on my other computer. If not search some of my posts, think ive posted photos before!!

• A
    Beginner April 2011
    Angelgirlie ·
    • Hide content

Hiya we are having our reception in Woburn safari lodge, we wanted somewhere different and unusual but also fun. It means alot to me as I grew up nearby so spent quite alot of time there when I was growing up. They also have the sculpture gallery (was very expensive).

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Paradise Park is relatively close to me. The main room used to be nice for weddings although it was semi converted to a cafeteria. The marquee option though should be fine.

• J
    Beginner
    Jaynec36 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks, we haven't seen it yet but think the safari suite will be too casual. We're waiting on the wedding planner to call us with costs for the marquee but so far all palces that do marquees seem to be so expensive.

Where are you getting married? We're looking at a few different places in the next couple of weeks including the Shire London Golf Club, Shenley Cricket Centre, The Ware Priory and Tewinbury Farm.

Thanks

JAyne x

• rebecca2286
    Beginner April 2011
    rebecca2286 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We looked at tewinbury, it was on our shortlist. My only concern was the potential for 3 bridal parties at the same venue at the same time. I really wanted exclusive use. However it is gorgeous and the staff are so helpful!

xxx

• J
    Beginner
    Jaynec36 ·
    • Hide content

I took a look at South Farm after you mentioned it, and you're right, it's gorgeous and they were lovely but it's above my budget. I'm determined to stick to £5,000 all in so I need to look at more do-it-yourself venues if there are any in the area.

x

• rebecca2286
    Beginner April 2011
    rebecca2286 ·
    • Hide content

Have you spoken to them directly? They may be able to help you with your budget, they're really accommodating and helpful.

Anyway, I hope you find something perfect for you!!! Its fun isnt it!!

• C
    Beginner July 2011
    Clare247 ·
    • Hide content

It's just outside your search area and I don't know about prices etc, but Whipsnade Zoo do wedding ceremonies and receptions...

http://www.zsl.org/zsl-whipsnade-zoo/corporate-and-private-events/private-parties,153,AR.html

Good luck with finding somewhere

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I haven't been to Whipsnade for a couple of years and do like the venue, although the main room at the time was in need of redecoration.

Whipsnade does also have another interesting location nearby for photography....an arboretum that is a tree cathedral.

Peter

• paddyandlin
    Beginner May 2011
    paddyandlin ·
    • Hide content

I think i have put this link up a few times but this lists all the licensed (sp) places in Hertfordshire for weddings

https://www.hertfordshire.gov.uk/comdirectory/register/marriages/where/bwedven3y/

• J
    Beginner
    Jaynec36 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for that.

I'm also looking at venues without a wedding licence, and specifically venues where you can get an outside caterer in or even bring your own alcohol. If anyone knows of any, let me know.

Thanks

Jayne

• C
    Beginner July 2011
    Clare247 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Jayne,

I'm also looking for somewhere where you can bring your own booze or at least pay a *reasonable* corkage fee but am not doing too well on that one...

One place I did like the look of though is Buckettsland Farm - you can BYO and friends can camp there too! No wedding licence though. H2B not that keen though so back to the drawing board for me, but look it up and see what you think.

• J
    Beginner
    Jaynec36 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Clare

Buckettsland Farm was my first choice as I loved the idea of it. The woman who runs it is lovely but unfortunately it's way above my price range at £3.5K hire before you even think about marquee costs etc.

We took a look at The Shire London Golf Club in Barnet last weekend. It's a nice venue and although you can't bring your own alcohol they are really reasonable about charging per bottle rather than per glass or guest.

I'm also struggling to find a venue with a more diy approach. Where are you looking? If it's as far as Essex there's a nice one in Chelmsford that we're going to see on Saturday, called Great Sir Hughes Barn and the company that runs it have a few more venues - Jill from Creative Coordination.

• C
    Beginner July 2011
    Clare247 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks - we were originally looking at venues in Herts but the search area is getting wider and I have seen a few venues in Essex where you can BYO so might be straying over the border!

• C
    Beginner October 2011
    CLAIREYFAIRY2 ·
    • Hide content

Hi All,

When I was venue hunting I found these venues in Herts which let you bring in your own catering and marquees, I believe Sandridgebury is very reasonable.

https://www.walkernhall.co.uk/weddings.php

http://www.sandridgebury.co.uk/

I also found that the marquee and caterers can help you with lists of venues, heres a couple I used for research

https://www.countymarquees.com/venues.htm

https://www.kingfishercaterers.co.uk/venues.html

Hope this helps.

C xx

• C
    clarebear007 ·
    • Hide content

We saw the open day that Woburn had for weddings, and it looked beautiful. Really loved the layout and the room. I've always preferred Woburn as a whole over Whipsnade and Paradise though. Good luck in deciding on your venue! Smiley smile

• K
    Beginner December 2011
    king george ·
    • Hide content

Have you tried Three lakes at westmill farm thats where we are getting married, its in Ware gorg views 3 big lakes very reasonable price dont think they do corkage but its bar is pub prices and your guests can also camp there Good Luck x

• EPW Photography (HIB)
    EPW Photography (HIB) ·
    • Hide content

Hi Jayne

I would love to photgraph a wedding there as it is a really unusual setting for a wedding and I am based only 10 mins away from it so if you do decide to use it as a venue and need a photographer let me know (I am in the hitched suppliers directory). I would happily throw in a free CD worth £350 as an incentive. All the best. Evelyne

www.epwphotography.co.uk

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics