Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Arquard
Beginner May 2011

Anyone been to Bicester village?

Arquard, 15 March, 2011 at 10:03 Posted on Planning 0 24

We've decided to go there on Saturday to hunt for BM dresses but I've never been before so don't know what it's like. Any tips, recommendations, etc?

24 replies

Latest activity by Little Madam, 16 March, 2011 at 07:14
  • Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

If you are going on a Saturday, get there early!!!!! It gets very very busy in the car park...

Haven't been for a few years now but loved it!

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

I dont rate it as much as the hype tbh!! its nice, got some nice 'posh' outlet shops, and set out really well!!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

I used to work at Gunwharf Quays which is the same sort of thing as Biscter and I always think you are better just going and looking at stuff but not looking at anything in particular as quite often its hard to find things you want. Maybe its the years and years in retail but I dont see the attraction of "outlet" shopping. Too hectic!

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

I love Bicester Village but like vintage_mini said it is not really worth going with something particular in mind as it is so hit and miss what you will find but if you go with an open mind and an eye for a bargain you can get some great bits, I usually spend most of my day in Aubin & wills, Jack Wills & Cath Kidston!

As the others said best to get there early as the car park fills up really quickly and its handy to be parked close to the shops so you can drop bags off (yes i dont go very often so do go a little mad!!) and it does get really busy in the shops especially the popular ones which can get a little annoying! Carluccios is great for food they do a yummy pasta for charity with courgette balls and have a lovely deli with fab cakes to give you a sugar boost on the go!

If you (or anyone else) is looking for wedding dresses Temperley often have some lovely ones in at bargain prices!

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

I saw the words 'fab cakes' and was instantly sold Smiley winking

Luckily one of the BMs loves shopping there so knows the layout. We're going to aim to get there by 10am at the latest so we should have a decent run of it. Luckily we have no specific ideas beyond looking for "nice dresses that are blue".

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

I got my wedding dress from the Monsoon outlet there, but was highly insulted by the staff in the Temperley shop. Very, very rude indeed!

I preferrred it before it got so very "designery".

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

What did they do AC ?

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I love Bicester!

There is a coast and a monsoon where you may find dresses, but other than that, you'd have to be lucky to find everything you wanted in the right size (I'm assuming you want more than one dress?). Most of the stuff is end of range, so can be significantlt reduced, but there won't be many IYSWIM?

It's also a bit hit and miss, we've been there and bought nothing, and also been there and spent £500 easily - it just depends on what's in and what your after. That said - I always manage to bag a bargain one way or another - last time OH got a ralph lauren shirt for £17!

If you do go - and you like Crepes - the Crepe stand is a MUST! They are delicious!!

ETA: I also cannot resist the Radley bag shop - something you can get up to 50% off. Smiley smile

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

I'm resigned to the fact that they're all going to be in different dresses anyway because we've spent a couple of months sending pictures back and forth and there's never been a single style that they've all liked! My own fault for having so many bridesmaids!! As long as they're all blue, I don't care anymore. In fact I could even tolerate silver (our second theme colour) if we can't find something in blue! I'm THAT fed up of it now, lmao

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Oh now - it sounds like you do need a Cake/Crepe combo from there to de-stress ?

Karen Millen might also be a hit thinking about it (depending on the size of your ladies).

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

The ladies in question are all tiny slim things (and gorgeous to boot! I'm thinking I might have to reconsider and put them in some peach frilly monstrosity) so Karen Millen could be great!

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Hmm, no idea on the peach frilly number - sorry ?.

They are very lucky to be getting such lovely dresses though - I saw this awesome one in Hobbs but it was reduced to £250 and I couldn't justify that for everyday wear! So sad to leave it behind (I'm sad!)

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

REDUCED to £250?? Crikey... I'm hoping to get them all frocked for less than £100 each!

• Chidders
    Beginner June 2012
    Chidders ·
    • Hide content

Yep, I try to go a couple of times a year. It does get really busy, so as above get there early. There are some lovely shops there, but I only go for a couple of shops as there are some bargains to be had, especially at Jimmy Choo. Enjoy x

• Liverbird
    Beginner August 2012
    Liverbird ·
    • Hide content

I only live 30 min away but I only go there occasionally for Links of London and Cath Kidston - most of the rest of it is too expensive for me! The Coast shop did look good last time though, so long as you're not after something too specific anyway. Best to go early - it does get crazy busy on Saturdays, not just in the car park, but also down the A34 if you are coming that way.

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was looking at the wedding dresses on the rail and a very snooty assistnat came up to me and said "you do know all those are a SIZE 10?" (Ie you are clearly not - I am a size 14.) I explained I was just looking for wedding dress ideas and she took me over to a rail of plain grey dresses (ok, but very ordinary) and said "Some of our OLDER LADIES like this sort of thing" And then she went back to her colleagues for a chat and a dirty look in my direction.

What? I may not be 20 but I want a wedding dress, not something I might just wear for a meal out! She was so snooty in her attitude and I felt both very angry and humiliated.

Boo to them I say! (mind you, had similar attitude from several huge designers at a wedding show, so the weddinf industry clearly doesn't think my money is good enough!)

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

AC that is just dreadful!! I would have done a Pretty Woman and gone back later, laden with bags of expensive stuff from OTHER shops Smiley winking

• Bittersweet
    Beginner June 2012
    Bittersweet ·
    • Hide content

Funnily enough- we went yesterday for the first time.

We didn't go with anything in mind, just browsed the shops and bought what we wanted. I noticed the coast outlet and the monsoon outlet had lots of BM and FG dresses as well as bridal gowns at bargain prices! Guess it just depends on what you are looking for.

Like everyone else has said- Go with an open mind and with no expectations.

It was a nice day out! ?

• mrsgreatbatch2b
    Beginner July 2012
    mrsgreatbatch2b ·
    • Hide content

I like it for the queen of shops, Cath Kidston and monsoon.

Felt like I was constantly being watched tho in the more designer shops as I wasn't prenouncing my p's and q's. Oh well i'm a brummie and proud.

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

@ MGB2b - I love getitng judged for being a Brummy and then so proving them wrong. Like the other day me and OH went into the bank with a bag load of change to be banked - we'd been saving it in our little pots for ages for Hen/Stag night spending money and had £230 worth.

I had no make up on and OH was in his joggers ? and the woman behind the counter looked at me like I was a piece of crap banking what was left over from the pennies I collected from the floor. Anyway. she processed it, asked why so much to which we told her, and she gave a little smirk like "Well, that's not going to be enough" but then must have seen out bank balance as she moved back in her chair and gave us a nice smile asking if we wanted to discuss a Cash ISA - SMUG SMUG SMUG me!! And - no we didn't want to discuss a Cash ISA with her.

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

I saw a gorgeous wedding dress at Temperley with feathers, it was stunning. Unfortunately I wasn't engaged then. We went there after our engagement this year and didn't find anything, such a shame. I always find I go there looking for clothes and come home with white company towels and Le Creuset pots and Molton Brown bargains that I don't need.?

• mrsgreatbatch2b
    Beginner July 2012
    mrsgreatbatch2b ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm quite lucky that I don't have a full brummie accent, just the occasional twang every now and then but it's enough.

I know what you mean, our banks are ok now but my OH's always looked at us weirdly when we withdrew a large amount, you feel like saying. Oi love, we've worked hard for this and appreciate if you keep your nose out. One day, one day, i'll say it. lol.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

One suggestion...Andrew Daykin, a Bicester wedding photographer that is worth checking out if you are still looking for one.....

Peter

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

@ MGB2b - We haven't withdrawn any cash yet but I can bet we'll get the same look when we pay for our Honeymoon. I know the woman in the shop taking the booking must have been thinking "You can't afford that, don't bother looking" as we both look so young (well I look young, OH is young ? )

I also don't have too much of a Brummie accent, as I worked in Milton Keynes and got what my brother calls a "posh" accent ? but when I say certain things, or when i've had a week back at home, people can tell.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics