Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

AmnesiaCustard
Beginner June 2011

Anyone been to Corfu?

AmnesiaCustard, 21 October, 2012 at 13:05 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 13

As above. H and I are thinking of going next summer and would like some recommendations/where to avoid advice.

We like quiet and child-free hotels, nice beaches and a bit of history.

Thanking you.

13 replies

Latest activity by *Mini*, 22 October, 2012 at 18:09
  • *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Goes without saying but avoid Kavos. Its true brits abroad party stuff.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Also avoid Sidari - same reasons as above.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

We went when I was about 15, we stayed in an apartment in Kassiopi in the north of the island, a short walk to the fishing marina. I seem to remember Corfu Old Town was also quite nice.

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

This might sound odd, but are there a lot of wasps?? Or mosquitos?

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Not that I remember...

• gee_gee
    Beginner August 2013
    gee_gee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We stayed in Sidari, but right on the far edge and it was actually pretty quiet, but we stayed in a small hotel. There were loads of wasps and OH picked up campylobacter there so it's not somewhere I'd plan on returning to.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

There were lots of mosquitos when I went. I always find Greece bad for them but I dont remember there being any wasps. There were loads in Turkey when I went. Was stung twice.

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

I went to Corfu a few years ago and there were a LOT of wasps. The hotel had an outside bar and there were always wasps swarming around the Coke dispenser ? Didn't get stung though. I think we went in September if that helps (I'm sure time of year makes a massive difference in terms of the amount of wasps). I stayed in quite a secluded hotel in the north of the Island, think it was near Kassiopi, but there was literally nothing else around except a few bars that weren't really open because it was coming to the end of the season, so I wouldn't really recommend staying somewhere that quiet unless you're the kind of person who just likes to sit by the pool.

• Tracey86
    Beginner October 2012
    Tracey86 ·
    • Hide content

I went years ago as a teenager. As the others have said I would definitely avoid Kavos and Sidari. Corfu town was great for cafe's and shopping etc and the harbour is nice, I seem to remember Aghios Gordios (sp?) being quite nice and fairly quiet.

I definitely remember lots of mozzies but don't really recall any wasps.

• Ixia
    Beginner
    Ixia ·
    • Hide content

We went on honeymoon and stayed at kommeno bay. It was a lovely area, but the hotel we were at was a bit remote. I would have preferred to have been closer to Dassia. There were a few wasps and mosquitos, but not enough to bother us.

• WickyWack
    Beginner July 2013
    WickyWack ·
    • Hide content

Me and my OH have been to st george south twice in 2 years, we love it, gorgeous weather, quiet town, gorgeous sandy beaches, lovely people. You''ll put on poundsssss as the food is amazing.

You can catch the local bus to Corfu town, which is the capital, it has lovely old streets and lots to do and see.

As you can tell, i am bias!

• *Eclair*
    Beginner August 2012
    *Eclair* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This. In Lefkas there were loads of mosquitos. I came home with 40 bites from 2 weeks and I still have scars. I do get bitten a lot though. The only wasps we saw were around our pool and they looked like they were on steroids. They left us alone though.

• **Pip**
    **Pip** ·
    • Hide content

I've been a fair few times. I like the North East coast best on the island, the beaches are really pretty and it's generally quieter. As the others said definitely avoid Kavos and Sidari and I'd say Dassia is probably not your kind of thing either by what you've said.

Pre children we stayed in Kalami which was very nice, we hired this villa which was lovely.

https://www.villaplus.com/corfu/code/villas/villaindividual.asp?id=632

Kalami is pretty quiet really with a handful of tavernas and a nice pebble beach. We hired a boat for the day and explored a few other bays including Agni Bay which is just beautiful. It literally only has three tavernas and three jettys and that's it other than a few rental houses. We ate in two of them and the food was great.

I've stayed in Kassiopi with my 6 month old daughter, again we hired from Villa Plus and it was right in the middle of the village and underneath the castle. Really pretty harbour which gets busy at night but we werent out for drinking late so enjoyed a meal on the harbour then headed back to the villa.

Nissaki is very nice also and much quieter than the big resorts as it's quite spread out and mostly villas again which mean less of the big hotels.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

YES! I was eaten alive there. Lovely place to go though- was it you who went on Honeymoon there?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics