Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Fireflies
Beginner June 2013

Anyone been to Maldives in July? ( a bit OT)

Fireflies, 7 August, 2012 at 11:06 Posted on Planning 0 4

As the title says really - I am looking at places for our honeymoon and have always wanted to go to the Maldives on Honeymoon but am worried about going in July (would probably be from 1st July for a week before heading off elsewhere) as it is meant to be their rainy/monsoon season. Has anyone been and can say what the weather was like??

We have been to Carribean during their rainy season before (late June/July to Dom Rep & St Lucia and another year in Oct to Dom Rep) and in June/July rainy season we had one or two downpours during the day but they cleared up quickly, and in Oct there were about 6 days out of 14 that were really rainy and overcast (but still warm!) Is it at all similar to Carribbean seasons? Because I would chance it if it were Carribbean again around that time of year?

4 replies

Latest activity by AprilBride2B, 8 August, 2012 at 17:46
  • C
    Beginner August 2012
    chloe_chloe ·
    • Hide content

We've only ever been in the rainy season and I really don't think it should put you off. It sounds like the experience you had in the Caribbean is pretty similar to what you would get in the Maldives. When it rains, it tends to pour down for a short amount of time. But the temperature remains warm and once the rain stops, everything dries out in about half an hour or so. Also, a lot of the rain tends to come at night.

The only times I would avoid are May and late November / early December. This is when the monsoon changes from NE to SW and vice versa. Then it really can pour down non-stop for a couple of weeks if you're really unlucky.

Having said that, there are of course no guarantees and the weather is increasingly unpredictable in the Maldives, just as it is over here. You could be unlucky and have lots of rain (and this is more of a risk if you are staying for just one week). Then again, it can rain in the so-called "dry" season.

Personally, we always prefer to go in the rainy season as it's much cheaper and less crowded. I would also be gutted to pay premium rates for the dry season only for it to rain.

I would suggest you have a look at the Maldives forum on Trip Advisor - the same question has been asked about a zillion times over there. From recollection there was some massive thread where everybody collated their experiences of the weather. You'll find on the TA forum that most people are totally addicted to the Maldives and that 95% of them would recommend going in the rainy season.

Hope that helps!

• Zoomo13
    Beginner August 2015
    Zoomo13 ·
    • Hide content

I went mid july a few years back. the week before we got there they had 2 afternoons of rain the time we were there it was a heat wave not a drop of rain in sight.

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

I went to the Maldives a few years ago at the beginning of July. The weather was fine. I think there was one day and maybe one night when it rained on and off but mostly the rain was strong and fast so over with quickly. I would not rule it out during the rainy season.

• A
    Beginner April 2013
    AprilBride2B ·
    • Hide content

My sister worked at Reethi beach for a few months this year! She was there untill July and from what she's said there were a few monsoon like downpours but they didnt last for too long and did remain warm. Pictures look fabulous, definitelyworth checking out I think

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics