Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Anyone been to Paxos Greece???

29 July, 2010 at 13:29 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hi Ladies,

We're getting married in Greece in 2012 and after hours of looking on the internet at different parts and locations we thought we had decided on Zante....however...I've had a complete change of heart as I think all the beach locations there will be busy with tourists June/July time. I really don't want to get married on a beach with sunloungers beside us on either side!!! I happened to stumble across a small island just south of Corfu called Paxos which has given me hope of a quiet beach wedding with a real greek atmosphere afterwards. I've emailed a lady who stays on the island and has organised weddings there. She says the island is a very relaxed place steeped in tradition and not at all commercial, which is exactly what I'm looking for. I wondered if anyone has been there and can give me an insight to the island????

Thanks

8 replies

Latest activity by gfere40, 19 March, 2012 at 13:59
  • Pheonix
    Beginner August 2011
    Pheonix ·
    • Hide content

Hey,

I've been there, not for a couple of years though. It's relaxed, and very greek much more so than you're likely to find on the main resorts in Zante. Zante's quite a big island and can get very busy/touristy in places.

Paxos is a very small island, only about 5-6 miles I think, I don't think you can fly directly there you have to get a boat form one of the main islands this will mean you are much more likely to get that relaxed greek experience as a lot of tourists are more happy to stay on the big islands. There's another island nearby, anti paxos I think that is just a small boat ride away.

I love greece and I've been to most of the islands, if it were me I'd go for Paxos over Zante, but it depends what you want from the whole experience.

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Meeeeeeeeeeeeee twice, went there for our honeymoon last year Smiley smile we stayed in our own self catering villa with a pool, it was through a company based in London, will have to wait till hubby gets home so i can ask him. asked him and its cv travel.

tis v expensive but its wonderful, we hired a car too but the drivers are maniacs!! When we first went it was very much one of those places untouched by tourism, but sadly its getting busier and more popular as the Corfu cruises stop over at the 3 main ports, Gaios, Loggos and Lakka for day trips. Most restaurants are serving 'british food' though we tried to eat as much greek food as we could.

we also stayed at a little resort Glydfada.....gorgeous there and the owners minibus everyone in the town and bring you back at a seet time, was nice there but much preferred our little place last year....

we also became great pals with our taxi driver and his mrs.... soooo friendly....

hubby wants to buy property there but sadly my skin cant stand the med heat and I ended up in hospital (on return home) with the most horrendous skin problems. I've since been diagnosed as allergic to sunlight. So his dream might not happen....

any other Qs just ask...

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

For a wedding - hmmm now that ive read your post again..... theres a wonderful hill top restaurant (I'm crap with names!) which has the most amazing sun sets and all, anyhoo they had an area which would be fab for weddings....

but tourism is up big time, a really big mix of people, germans, french etc, so cant be totally unavoided..

• G
    gferentinos ·
    • Hide content

Hi Claire

I now that I am bid late, but if u want to have the best wedding go for Antipaxos Island. Its the most beatiful island in the world. And as far as I know about accomodations there are some villas at Gaios (Villa Bella Vista & Anassa Villas) my good friend Stefanos Makris owns them and I am sure you are going to be very satisfied regarding that.

You can see them here if you want @Fougarostravel

• G
    gfere40 ·
    • Hide content

Hi there,

I am not a lady, I am a man who got married in Paxos like 2 years ago( September 2010) in Loggos, a very traditional church, where the the mystery happened outside the church which was very kool for us Greeks, regarding all these traditional things. However, if you need more details regarding that matter to do nor hesitate to ask me anything you want from reservation, people......everything that has to do with your wedding.

Regards

Grigoris

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics