Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner September 2016

Anyone booked Wasing Park venue? Contract , T&C's and no credit card payments

Arc30094, 28 of January of 2015 at 18:40 Posted on Planning 0 4

Has anyone had expereince of booking Wasing Park in Berkshire as their wedding/ reception venue? My OH and I love the venue and really want to get married here but have a few concerns and wanted to know how others have found it before we book it?

The venue want 50% of the venue hire fee as a deposit (thats over £3,000 that will be non-refundable) but they only accept payments via cheque or BACS. We would like to pay at least some of the overall cost by credit card because we want the added reassurance that sec. 75 of consumer credit act provides. Although the venue will take credit card payments from our guests for the bedrooms, & they seem to accept credit card payments for hiring of the woodland wedding venue, they say they dont have the ability to take credit card payments for the main venue which doesnt really make much sense. The caterers also wont accept credit card payments.

As well as this we have been given contracts to sign for 3 different companies. Wasing Park as the venue, Galloping Gourmet as the caterers, and Country House Wedding Venues as a third party although their role in our wedding seems undefined and no one has explained why we need to have a contract with them! The contracts are also very ambiguous. One of the main appeals of the venue is that we would get exclusive use of more than 1 building and the surrounding grounds. The contract does not mention exclusive use at all nor does it define what the venue actually consists of. The brochures and website state things like no corkage fee if we supply our own wine but again this is not mentioned in the actual contract. Without these details being defined in the contract I assume that they could change at any time before our wedding day (20 months away) and we would have no recourse.

I'd be very grateful for any feedback or advise.

4 replies

Latest activity by soraneko, 28 of January of 2015 at 21:51
  • D
    Beginner August 2015
    danihighfive ·
    • Hide content

Hey Arc30094 - whilst I don't have any experience of it as a wedding venue I went there with my work last September for an overnight festival and it was really great and very well organised. We hired bell tents and have a great glamping experience. It was beautiful and would make for an amazing place to hold your wedding. Saying that, I think you really need to trust your suppliers, so why not have a chat to them and voice your concerns before committing?

• lilbeth
    Beginner July 2015
    lilbeth ·
    • Hide content

Hey,

This is just down the road from my parent's house. Someone my Mum works with got married there and if you PM I can send you her e-mail as she won't mind you contacting her.

The only thing my Mum mentioned was that with the food they tidied it very quickly away so a lot of people missed out as they thought it would be there for longer.

It is a beautiful venue though.

• B
    Bruce Neville Photography ·
    • Hide content

Ring the venue up and voice your concerns before you sign anything, I know a few people that have got married at Wasing Park and don't think they had any trouble but its best to get it sorted now than run in to problems later.

• A
    Beginner September 2016
    Arc30094 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you so much for replying! I'm new to Hitched and wasn't really imaging anyone would respond so it's really appreciated.

As I said my OH and I really love Wasing Park, it's just what we've been looking for! It seems to have been a wedding venue for quite a while , it looks like a lot of people have been married here and we were left with a very good impression when we had a tour of the venue.

we're just conscious that it's a lot of money to commit to so far in advance and compared to contracts or T&C's we've seen for other venues, the ones at WP seem quite vague. I don't doubt they're a reputable company, and I'm sure they would honour their agreement, but a lot can change in 20 months and I'd hate to lose so much money if something went wrong because we didn't carefully consider what we're agreeing to. I spoke to someone at the venue about it the other day but need to try to speak to them again because it was a brief conversation and didn't really cover everything.

I was just interested to hear what other people's experiences were and if anyone else had had similar thoughts to us when booking.

lilbeth that's very kind of you, I'll PM you.

• soraneko
    Beginner June 2016
    soraneko ·
    • Hide content

Loved Wasing Park but couldn't afford the catering costs! Not going to be much help, but thought I would express my pure and utter jealousy Smiley smile I love my actual (affordable) venue... but Wasing Park was my first love

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics