Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Rockstar June 2020

Anyone dyed a bridesmaid dress?

HappyBlueCars582, 18 of September of 2016 at 16:59 Posted on Planning 0 3

Have any of you ever dyed a chiffon dress before?

3 replies

Latest activity by Bacchant, 21 of September of 2016 at 15:56
  • Bacchant
    Beginner June 2017
    Bacchant ·
    • Hide content

I've not dyed a bridesmaid dress, but I've dyed a few other bits and bobs.

What kind of chiffon is it? As a general rule man made fibers (polyester etc) don't tend to dye very well. They will pick up a tiny bit of colour at most, but sometimes none at all. Whereas natural fibres eg cotton/silk tend to dye well and go the colour specified on the packet.

So I dyed a silk skirt which had a polyester lining, it was originally a pale pink, the silk dyed purfectly to the purple on the packet, the lining when to a pale pink with a purple tinge.

• H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you. It's polyester and quite a dark colour which I would like to lighten. Doubt it will work very well!

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

In that case, you'll need to lighten it before dying it, which doubles the risk of it going wrong. If it's polyester chiffon then it will be extremely hard to dye. If it's silk chiffon then it might take the dye but you need to be very careful with the lightening - for example, you shouldn't use bleach. Personally, I wouldn't risk it.

• Bacchant
    Beginner June 2017
    Bacchant ·
    • Hide content

If it's dark then it needs to be lightened which can be difficult. Bleach obviously will lighten it, but then it also damages the fibres (if done too much it can make it pretty much disintegrate). I think there are other fancy products you can use to lighten stuff that is less damaging, but not sure of specifics.

Probs best not to risk it! (Or see if you can get a similar dress from a charity shop and try it on that before the bridesmaid dress!)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics