Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Amy
Curious October 2021 Cambridgeshire

Anyone else come away with the opposite dress than they were planning?!

Amy, 22 of April of 2021 at 16:55 Posted on Planning 0 12

Bought my dress today.

I went with a very clear idea of what I wanted - sleeves, illusion front and back, fullish skirt, NO corset back, NO belt and absolutely definitely under no circumstances strapless.

Have come home with, yes, you’ve guessed it, strapless, corset back, belt, massive skirt and train and felt like a bloody princess in it. The girl in the shop was fab and listened to me, but also gently worked on me to try different things to what I’d envisioned myself in.

I can’t stop grinning ?

12 replies

Latest activity by Michal, 16 of May of 2021 at 12:05
  • D
    Dedicated June 2021 Hertfordshire
    Daisy ·
    • Hide content

Yep, me too! I was going to have sleeves and definitely not be strapless...and the one I fell for? Strapless! I think it's important to be open minded about trying on all sorts of dresses, no matter what you have in mind, as you never know what might actually look amazing on!

• April21Bride
    Rockstar July 2021 West London
    April21Bride ·
    • Hide content
    I was going to have a trumpet/mermaid dress to show off my great a$$ ?. I came away with a A-line ballgown with lace sleeves. Not at all what I thought I wanted but I love my dress
  • P
    Curious October 2021 Hampshire
    Pauline ·
    • Hide content

Me too - I thought I'll go for lace and straight or fit and flare shape but now I'm thorn between two satin A line gowns Smiley smile

What I've learnt is that the dress can look COMPLETLEY different on the picture than on you. The pictures used by designers are photoshopped, the models are dead thin and wearing stilettoes. There were many dresses I loved online but hated on me, and opposite - some I wouldn't look twice at online but loved wearing them

• B
    Savvy October 2021 Oxfordshire
    Bella ·
    • Hide content
    Absolutely this! Searching online I had my heart set on satin, no fuss, no/small train. My dress couldn’t be more different, lots of lace which I thought I’d hate, huge long train... I lovely it so much though!
  • B
    Savvy October 2021 Oxfordshire
    Bella ·
    • Hide content
    *Love! Was so excited thinking of it that I didn’t proofread
  • A
    Curious October 2021 Berkshire
    Andrea ·
    • Hide content

Yep, my dress has 3 elements I said I absolutely didn't want, plunge neckline, illusion front and tulle skirt. But it is a lace fit and flare so not entirely different in the end!

I went to a specific bridal store to try on the dress I had fallen in love with online only to be disappointed, not with how it looked on me so much as the fabric being totally different from what it looked like in the designer's pictures. The lace on my dress is like I thought the lace on the "dream" dress would be and I think that's one of the reasons I love it so much. Its also from the bridal salon's own range so I wouldn't have found it anywhere else.

• Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content
    You see this happen on “Say Yes to the Dress” all the time! I have a very specific idea too (see pic) but not tried anything on yet as not getting married until July next year. And I’m prepared for this to totally not suit me!
    Anyone else come away with the opposite dress than they were planning?! 1

• Amy
    Curious October 2021 Cambridgeshire
    Amy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, my daughter watches ‘say yes to the dress’ and said the same, that it happens all the time!

Originally I’d looked at your dress, as was all for tea length, but then I decided that it’s going to be my ‘one’ day to go all out and wear something amazing, so decided to go full length and full on! It’s really pretty though, so see how you feel when you try it on xxx

• J
    Curious December 2021 Oxfordshire
    Jenna ·
    • Hide content
    Yes! I went in with an idea of wanting lace and mermaid style.

Tried on 5, couldn’t move in a mermaid, so ended up with an a-line! ?
  • Nisha-Jasmine
    Curious June 2021 Cambridgeshire
    Nisha-Jasmine ·
    • Hide content
    Yup thought I had planned for boob tube style fell in love with Stella York Sophia dress but loved the train on Stella York Taryn, so got the best of two dresses and had the train amended on Sophia to look similarAnyone else come away with the opposite dress than they were planning?! 2

• Rachael
    Beginner October 2021 Wiltshire
    Rachael ·
    • Hide content
    Yep, went with a dress I dismissed as looking cheap, it has all the things I didn't want but I love it and it's comfortable too!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics