Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner May 2014

Anyone else get/getting married with no bridesmaids?

staranise, 14 of October of 2012 at 23:37 Posted on Planning 0 21

I never really thought about it until we decided to get married but I don't really have anyone I regard as close friends, not close enough to be a bridesmaid, so I decided that I wasn't going to have bridesmaids at all and instead just have my nieces and daughter as flower girls. However, I was talking with work collegues today about the wedding planning so far and they seemed gobsmacked about my decision and told me I can't possibly do it without bridesmaids because I'll have no-one to help me on the day to do things like lace me into my dress or sort my hair. Tbh, I hadn't really thought that far ahead and I guess I was just assuming that my mom or maybe grooms mom would be on hand to help with things like that. So, any other billy no mates out there? What are your plans for getting ready?. I will be doing my hair and make up myself too, so no stylists to help me but does it matter? Or am I asking for trouble?

21 replies

Latest activity by HappyBlueDiamonds46438, 11 of April of 2019 at 07:25
  • Thesnowclears
    Beginner June 2013
    Thesnowclears ·
    • Hide content

Im exactly the same as you - i have moved away from my family and friends and i dont regard anyone here close enough to be a bridesmaid, what age are your neices - mines just turned 13 so she is going to be a brides maid and my youngest neice who is 2 will be a flower girl. Im not sure who will help me get ready as i am getting married abroad - i think my sister is coming so even though she wont be a bridesmaid (she thinks she is too old!!) she will help me get ready (i hope)

I am also doing my own hair and makeup - i dont think its worth the hastle getting someone else to do it.. ive watched so many programs where the bride wipes all her make up off and does it herself anyway!! at least we can practise and get it the way we want it without stressing Smiley smile

xx

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I had bridesmaids because I have close friends that I wanted to be involved not because I couldn't handle the workload of a wedding. You'll be fine Smiley smile

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

I was originally not going to have a BM, but ended up with 1. I cannot think of anything that she did on the day that couldnt have been done by mum, other friends or the photographer.

My SIL helped strap me into the dress, had hair/make-up done, I was able to 'toilet' myself & if I hadnt been able to would have asked mum so dont know what everyone else 'relies' on their BM's to do? Even the photographer helped when some hair pins came out, but if she hadnt, I'd just check in the mirror myself. You'll be fine.

• ImagineIt
    Beginner December 2012
    ImagineIt ·
    • Hide content

I'm not having any and H2B isn't having a best man.

It's not that we don't have any friends, it's just we both don't have friends who are that close to us anymore. They are all invited to the wedding though. Ten years ago I probably would have had a couple of my girlfriends as we were out every weekend together, but I don't see so much of them anymore.

Our wedding will be a very untraditional affair anyway so we don't feel the need to have a wedding like they all did when they got married. H2B has a friend who will do a speach and I have a friend who will do one for me too.

xxx

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

I didn't have any, but then I didn't have any guests either, so having BMs would have been daft.

• D
    Beginner May 2013
    Dizzybelle ·
    • Hide content

I'm just having two flowergirls, my daughter and my niece. Could have had my sister but she didn't really fancy it and as we're only having a small wedding it seems fine not to have any bridesmaids. I'll have my mum, sister and best friend in the hotel room with me beforehand helping me and the children to get ready so I think it'll be fine.

• unexpectedpenny
    Beginner January 2013
    unexpectedpenny ·
    • Hide content

I'm exactly the same as you Staranise!

When I brought my dress the lady said they've noticed more people not having bridesmaids recently. Mostly because people have heard what an aggro it can be choosing etc..!

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Like kharv said your bridesmaids should be cause you want them there- not to do jobs!

You will be fine, I started out thinking of having 4 but I am having 2.

You don't 'need' anything- just have and do what you want ?

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS. We chose to marry abroad to avoid all that fuss. I did have a "MOH" at our UK reception but it was more because I got a free BM dress with my wedding dress, so gave it to my friend so she could wear it at the reception. She had no duties etc, it was just a gift of a dress and we worked our colour scheme round it.

• Q
    Beginner December 2014
    Quedos ·
    • Hide content

I'm only having one and she's my matron of dishonour. I need someone there I won't have my mum so need the extra hand as well as calming influence when my MoB1.5 ( my mums best friend) can't be there

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

I had a bloke and didn't really ask him to do anything especially as he doesn't live locally to me, my mum helped me where necessary. You will be fine without BMs if that's what you want.

• KampKaz
    Beginner June 2014
    KampKaz ·
    • Hide content

This has made me think... I've got a best man but can't imagine him getting me dressed! (well maybe...) but my mum won't be there as things stand at the minute!

I've got a friend that I will ask to help out on the day, and my hairdresser is a friend to, so although they are going to be guests I think they might end up helping out first!

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content

I have my son giving me away, my other half has a best man, and that's it.

My mix of friends/relatives doesn't work out as bridesmaids. Plus, it costs money!!

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Our daughter didn't have any either and it is becoming more popular now not to bother mainly due to the expense (and in some cases aggro!) that bridesmaids create. In Alex's case, she had too many girl friends to single out ones that she could choose. Her best friend is a man anyway so she had him as a Man of Honour instead. He did a magnificent job organising everyone and also helped out in the morning. His friend was the hairdresser too so with them and me and the Groom's Mum, we didn't really need anyone else really to help her getting ready. As far as waliking down the aisle, the Man of Honour walked me down the aisle first which was a lovely experience and something I will always remember followed by Alex and her Dad. Most of the guests didn't actual realise until the meal was over that there weren't any bridesmaids! The few that did ask all seemed to think they were more trouble than they are worth but I appreciate that this isn't the case for everyone.

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    maple ·
    • Hide content

You should be alright for doing your own makeup and hair, as long as you plan ahead. but you need someone to help you out. you can ask a friend to do that but she does not have to be bridesmaid if you do not want bridesmaid. my mum married 30 years ago, when i saw her wedding pic and ask who is the bridesmaid, she does't even remember the name and she said she doesn't know the girl, it is just a friend of friend....

• ellebob
    Beginner February 2013
    ellebob ·
    • Hide content

I don't think there is any difference having adult or child bridesmaids really, as long as you have a mini entourage down the aisle! Like you said, if your mum is around to get you ready you don't need anyone else. My sister is my bridesmaid because having my particular mum around would drive me mental, haha

• HappyBlueDiamonds17863
    Beginner October 2020
    HappyBlueDiamonds17863 ·
    • Hide content

My partner and I have been together for 5 years this October. We have lived together for 4 years. We haven't started planning a wedding yet but I'm not interested in having bridesmaids, just my partner's daughter as a flower girl and her cousin as a page boy. We are sort of thinking about 2020 but not sure of dates yet. By then, his daughter will be 13 and her cousin 14. I do have close friends, I'm just not into the whole having bridesmaid to help out sort of thing but I still want a close friend to stand up there with me and sign the resgristy. Like a sort of unoffical bridesmaid, without all the fuss. I'm not close to my sister either. We want a simple wedding but my partner's daughter has asked to be a flower girl (or junior bridesmaid maybe?) and her cousin wants to be a page boy. I know some people don't have bridesmaids these days but obviously still need someone to sign the registry.

• S
    Beginner May 2019
    SorrentoBride ·
    • Hide content

We're going alone to Italy, no guests, no bridesmaids. All I made sure of was that I chose a dress that I could do up by myself, it has a zip rather than tiny buttons or a corset back. Yes, it narrowed my choices a bit, and the Italian wedding planners said I would probably be able to get someone at tne hotel to help if I needed buttons or a corset doing up, but I didn't want to risk it. Found my perfect dress and luckily it has a zip with tiny buttons covering it that don't need doing up!

I'm a bit of a billy no mates anyway, I don't have a best friend, just a small group of close friends, but I doubt any of them would have wanted to be a bridesmaid, we're all getting on a bit!! ?

• H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content

Best option is not to have any. It’s a crap job being a bridesmaid and I wouldn’t put my worst enemy through it let alone my best friends (unless you want to fall out with them!) I completely agree with the sentiments of this article:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.elle.com/culture/news/amp15338/bridesmaid-protest/

• H
    Beginner May 2021
    HappyBlueDiamonds46438 ·
    • Hide content

One bridesmaid will be better than none.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics