Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

charlie_rabbit01
Dedicated June 2020

Anyone else had/having a very small wedding?

charlie_rabbit01, 5 of May of 2015 at 12:19 Posted on Planning 0 13

Hi all

my h2b and I have planned a small intimate wedding there are only 20 of us in total (including us), we're to be wed at 1pm, followed by wedding meal, photos, speeches, cake cutting music and an evening buffet.

Some colleagues will be invited in the evening. We haven't the space for a dancefloor/disco but we have music. The room will be laid out with a table at one end and sofas at the other near the fire place, the bar is in the next room.

I've posted here before about my mil, I've done my best to avoid her (which she has noticed ? ) but she's now been saying to me and h2b, that the evening will be boring and the guests will leave etc etc so we should invite more people.

almost every guest is staying overnight at the hotel where we are getting married. She wanted us to get married in the local church (which is beautiful) and then have a big reception, planned and organised the traditional way ie her inviting all the guests etc

I'm now getting paranoid that my guests will be bored!

Anyone else had/having a small intimate wedding and can help get my mil out of my head.

13 replies

Latest activity by Inspyre, 7 of May of 2015 at 11:48
  • InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I had eleven guests. But we didn't have anyone extra in the evening and didn't have a reception - we just went to the bar in our hotel and then on to a restaurant, no speeches or cake. How many more people are invited to the evening? Is the room big enough that you might be rattling around it a bit?

• S
    Beginner May 2015
    sarah.jones ·
    • Hide content

I think your wedding sound lovely, small and intimate surrounded by the people that matter to you. We are having a small wedding too, marrying at 3pm so no separate evening do as such, same as you music but no DJ. I think your arrangement of sofas near the fireplace and a bar sounds perfect. If I was invited I certainly wouldn't be bored. And with guests all staying over together it makes more of a weekend of it.

A huge wedding isn't to everyone's taste so go with what you love. xx

• ☆♡☆VegasBride☆♡☆
    Beginner August 2014
    ☆♡☆VegasBride☆♡☆ ·
    • Hide content

Please try not to let her get into your head, it's your and h2b day not hers ?

We had mil issues too but went ahead with our plan and regret nothing!

It sounds like a lovely relaxed day, if you wanted to invite a few more people in the eve do it because you want too not cause you feel like you should xx

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    Manda79 ·
    • Hide content

We are having a civil ceremony at 4 for 26, then onto reception venue for drinks, meal around 6-6.30 ish. No speeches, and photos to be kept short n sweet I.e few group type pics.

eve guests arrive from 7.30 (up to about 100) for dj/buffet. We will do cake cutting at done point.

I don't think we will have many dancing etc as it's not my thing, and I think a lot will sit around chatting. I would rather have not bothered with a dj but kind of felt we had to.

I'd rather be able to sit around talking and drinking.

could you have some background music (iPod set up?)

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

We are having a small wedding a total of 15 including me and h2b we are going to a restaurant after the wedding and I have worried guests will be bored (there are 2small children I am most worried about) but tbh I find myself talking and drinking/eating at weddings rather than up on the dance floor so I know I wouldn't be bored at an intimate wedding in fact I would prefer it as you get to talk to every one

• charlie_rabbit01
    Dedicated June 2020
    charlie_rabbit01 ·
    • Hide content

We're inviting around 10 in the evening, but I don't think many will stay late, I work up the road from the venue, so we've invited a couple of colleagues down after work (as it works well with timings) who we know would like to see my dress and wish us well.

I think the room can take around 40 people, its normally used as a lounge by the hotel, photos below of the ceremony set up and as a normal lounge, its not quite as dark as the photos make it look but its quite warm and cosy.

• charlie_rabbit01
    Dedicated June 2020
    charlie_rabbit01 ·
    • Hide content

We're in the process or doing a play list so there will be music all evening.

I've only ever been to 2 weddings (both my moms) the first I was only 3 and the second I was around 18, but she had a traditional church wedding with reception dj etc etc with lots of guests so I have no bench mark.

We have organised the evening around the kind of thing we enjoy, if we were go out in town we always choose the country style pub with a roaring fire and back ground music so that we can sit around and chat etc.

Thinking about our guests apart from me and the BM's not many would be up doing the macarena anyway!

Most of the day is traditional:

Ceremony - 1pm

photos

meal

speechs

cake cutting

drinks

evening buffet

more drinks

with various/appropriate music throughout.

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

Don't listen to your future MIL. Your 20 guests will be there to spend the day with you - so won't be bored.

• Daisy Bell
    Beginner August 2015
    Daisy Bell ·
    • Hide content

We are having 12 guests. We're having our ceremony at 4 pm and then photos/a drink reception and a 3 course meal around 6-ish. We just want to have a nice, relaxed day with our closest family and friends. We won't have any dancing etc. just chatting, maybe we will bring some board games, but not too sure yet.

• Lady Zith
    Lady Zith ·
    • Hide content

When I got married several years ago I had 28 guests. People still say how chilled out & friendly it was. My sister had 150 guests and people had fun there too. I enjoyed mine, she enjoyed hers. Neither of us would have liked each other's.

My point is that you need to do what is right for YOU. it's your day. There are as many different types of wedding as there are couples getting married. They are all unique and individual. Guests will be focussed on you and your happiness, not whether there is a band playing the whole time, or activities organised etc. Don't worry about your MIL's views. It's not her wedding. Be happy with the choices you've made which suit you and your H2B and I'm sure you'll find that both you and your guests have a fabulous day.

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

I think it sounds lovely. My family love to sit and chat so there's no way anyone would be bored! You might find people don't stay until midnight like they would with a big wedding with dj etc, but that shouldn't matter as you'll have made it round to talk to everyone by then!

• charlie_rabbit01
    Dedicated June 2020
    charlie_rabbit01 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all, trying my best to keep her out of my head, but it's hard work.

I wanted to say to her all the guests are staying in the hotel so they can either be bored at the wedding with free food and drink or bored in their rooms! but decided it might be a bit petty.

I've just told her we've bought the BM dresses which are not what she was expecting (I changed my mind! Brides prerogative and all that ? ) she will now find that her dress she bought before i'd even started shopping for mine is very similar to the BM's which she will need to change.

• L
    Beginner September 2015
    lindabelle66 ·
    • Hide content

We are having a small wedding - 12 of us in total :-)

Early ceremony, Elevenses with wedding cake and a few family photos at local pub outside in their garden with river frontage, the my man and I are making our excuses and driving to our Honeymoon venue where we are meeting our photographer for professional photos on our own. It might not be ideally what our families would like us to do, but we have made the decisions and are sticking with them, and our families are going along with it :-)

• Inspyre
    Beginner August 2016
    Inspyre ·
    • Hide content

Ours will be small. Only about 12-15 to the ceremony, moving on to the restaurant for a meal with NO speeches.

Then we'll be going across the road the a pub/function room where up to 20 more people will be joining up. No dancefloor, just a few drinks and a playlist on in the background.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics