Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

nanny plum
Beginner September 2011

Anyone else hiring a nanny/babysitter for kids for the wedding.

nanny plum, 19 April, 2011 at 12:57 Posted on Planning 0 7

I have just emailed a company asking for a quote to help with my three year old son at my wedding,there will be a few other kids at the wedding but it is exclusively for him from around 6pm till 1am,i dunno if it a really knobish thing to do but obviously all my babysitters will be at the wedding and he is a bit little to cope with so many people for such a long time,he is very much a mummy's boy so i expect will be next to me most of the time but i keep worrying that i won't have eyes in the back of my head and he will have an accident.

Plus it means he could go for a walk and get some decent sleep as the nanny can stay with him at the hotel next door.

What do you think? Anyone else do this?

7 replies

Latest activity by Knees, 19 April, 2011 at 15:02
  • Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

Tbh, if my children were younger I would find it weird sending them away with a babysitter while I got on with the rest of the wedding. Are there not guests there that could help keep an eye on him?

• Mrs P 2 B
    Beginner January 2012
    Mrs P 2 B ·
    • Hide content

I think its sounds like a good idea and a very sensible thing to do... I have no children but can see way you would want someone to care for him all day.. At least you know he's always safe and you and hubby can enjoy your day to the max...

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

It sounds like a good plan to me but I've not got kids so difficult for me to say what I would do in your situation.

I do however remember what a nightmare my friends 2 year old was at her wedding, just mega tired from the whole thing and he took up a lot of her day. My other friend got married abroad but her little girl didn't even go to their evening reception in England, she had a nanny stay with her, but she was a bit younger.

• nanny plum
    Beginner September 2011
    nanny plum ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If it had been my two girls then i would not really be thinking about it ,they went to loads of weddings and were by nature quite happy to dance or sit and draw etc,my three year old so is a different matter,he has about an hour tolerance level and then he gets bored,i can't think that he will be able to go for eleven hours without going for a walk etc. I am not sending him away not at all,i want him there as much as possible he is even going to be in the bridal suite at night with us (romance at it's best lol) but i want there to be someone who can remove him from a loud disco to a quieter place if he needs it and someone to sit with him in the hotel,he will need a decent sleep and won't last till one in the morning.

There is loads of folk that he knows and is used to at the wedding but i don't really want to impose on other peoples days when there will be lots of people who they will want to catch up with etc.

This is all based on a fear i have that he will get hurt with all the glass/hot water/noise and bustle and that i will spend the evening really anxious that he is okay.

I will have to see what my OH thinks.

• Mrs Whippy
    Beginner September 2012
    Mrs Whippy ·
    • Hide content

Does you son attend a nursery at all? As a Nursery Nurse myself, we are inundated with requests from the parents of the children that come to us, or from parents that have been recommended to us, to babysit at weddings. That way they have somebody they know and have spoken to beforehand in person and their children probably know them too! xxx

• nanny plum
    Beginner September 2011
    nanny plum ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for that,good idea. He does attend one day a week,typical me though as soon as i phoned my OH and he thought it was a good idea i phoned and booked someone,they said they will email me nearer the time with the persons name so i might get them to spend a couple of hours the week before. It has made me feel a bit less worried about ending up sitting watching him sleep if he crashes at 8pm while everyone else enjoys my wedding lol.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

I went to OH's cousin's wedding a couple of weeks ago and she has a son who's around 20 months. He had a babysitter, who was one of the girls from his nursery, so he was comfortable with her. She sat with him in the church and looked after him during the reception, when the parents were going round talking to everyone and mingling etc. He was naturally passed round the family for periods of time, but I think his parents were really grateful to have the help.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics