Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MrsLtobe
Beginner April 2012

Anyone else NOT having a sit down meal?

MrsLtobe, 29 October, 2011 at 11:06 Posted on Planning 0 6

We had decided to have a sit down meal for £16 per head... but as budget is tight we then had to limit the guests... after my dad has fallen ill, I thought it might be nice for him to invite his brothers, sisters, nieces, nephews etc so we've decided now to not have a sit down meal and have an evening buffet at 7pm (ceremony is at 2pm), the buffet will consts of mini pizzas, sandwiches, chicken platters, crisps etc at £8.50 per head, this has now halved our food budget so we can invite more people. Does this sound okies?

A few questions:

- Will people/kids get hungry during the day?

- Will most people have lunch before coming and therefore be okay?

- The ceremony will finish at 2:30pm with photographs and drinks in the courtyard... will it be too long to wait til the evening?

- Do we cut/eat the cake, do speeches, first dance etc before or after the evening buffet?

Thanks!

6 replies

Latest activity by clairele, 29 October, 2011 at 12:55
  • Soulmates
    Beginner August 2012
    Soulmates ·
    • Hide content

We are having a hot and cold buffet in the day instead of a served at the table meal.

I'd say it is a long gap though between the ceremony and the evening, if your photos and drinks were done by 4ish, what would people do for 3 hours?

Can you push your ceremony back to around 4pm? then it would just flow into the evening celebrations

Beginner December 2011
    *Karina2009* ·
    • Hide content

We are not having a sit down meal eithier, we are having a 2 buffets a hot one and another later on in the evening. so we dont have to worry about table plans, and putting people with people who have nothing in common with each other Smiley smile ours is going to a be very realxed affair indeed

Karina xx

• B
    Beginner September 2013
    Banner ·
    • Hide content

Hello

We are having a 4.00pm ceremony and then having an evening reception at 7.00pm so no sit down meal. After the ceremony we are getting drinks and looked at canapes or sandwiches. We would have to get cateres in as the venue do not supply food. It was coming in at over £1500! They didnt seem to understand I just wanted something simple. So we have now decided when we get to are next venue around 6.00pm I am going to ask them to put a few sandwiches at the end of the bar for anyone who is feeling a bit peckish.

I was told to put a few sandwiches on as guests possibley wont have time for lunch as they will have hair appointments etc and will need to get ready, so a few sandwiches is the plan.

Can you not have a later ceremony so there isnt as much of a wait?

We are having are speeches when we go to are next venue after the ceremony but before are evening guests arrive at 7.00pm, will have are first dance at 8.00pm and then cut the cake a8 8.45 to open the buffet.

xx

• MrsLtobe
    Beginner April 2012
    MrsLtobe ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your replies everyone, I don't really want to have a later wedding (they only do 10am, 2pm and 5pm and 5pm would be too late for us!) We've been to a wedding where the wedding was at 1pm and buffet at 6pm and it was fine, I'll see if we can have the buffet an hour earlier, but if we give notice about the time (on my website!) they'll know to eat and if they want to go get changed before evening do they can!

We could also do the cake and speeches inbetween so that'll fill some time.... then lots of dancing!

• steffijp
    Beginner May 2013
    steffijp ·
    • Hide content

We're not having a sit down meal either, we're having our ceremony at 3pm followed by drinks and canapes, then on to a venue about 5 minutes down the road for the evening reception which will consist of hot and cold buffet which will be served around 8pm.

• C
    Beginner July 2012
    clairele ·
    • Hide content

We are having our ceremony at 2 and while we are having our photos done, our guests will have a drinks reception and some snacky bits. We are having a BBQ for 150 people at 17:00. We will then be doing our own buffet around 8, which will be things like pizzas, crisps and general "party" snacks.

I hope this helps.

Clairele

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics