Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MrsHD2015
Beginner June 2015

Anyone else not having a wedding car?

MrsHD2015, 3 of January of 2014 at 08:26 Posted on Planning 0 23

My H2B and I decided not to spend a fortune on a wedding car so instead we are going to ask someone we know to drive us. We're not that fussed what car it is as our church and venue are so beautiful we will have all our pics there won't need any pictures by the car! Anyone else doing this? Or having a cheaper alternative to a wedding car?

23 replies

Latest activity by Robert, 25 of November of 2023 at 09:52
  • CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

We didn't want to spend much on transport, so our friend who has a VW Camper is going to drive us there in exchange for a few drinks! The Camper is far more 'us' than a wedding car too.

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

Same here. my FFIL will be driving me and mum to the ceremony

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

Nope, we aren't. I'm staying at the venue the night before (to make it easier for my hairdresser and make up artist as my house is so small!) and OH is being driven by a family member. His Dad has a BMW z4, his uncle has a Porsche Boxster and his other uncle has a Ford Focus RS so he can take his pick out of nice cars on the day! ?

• tayto
    Beginner May 2013
    tayto ·
    • Hide content

We did this - we used my OH's car as he's quite attached to it - it is a BMW 5 series though so was nice but in hindsight we didn't get much pics near the car (though not intentional, just didn't work out that way).

• W
    Beginner February 2014
    Wifeytobe88 ·
    • Hide content

Me! I will be getting ready at my parents' house, and they literally live a 2 minute drive from the venue, it would be such a waste of money. My BM's will travel in a taxi with my mum, and one of h2b's ushers is going to drive me and my dad - he's got a swanky company car, so we'll probably stick a bow on it or something!

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

I would say about half of the weddings I see will have what you might call a traditional wedding car --or transport, basically anything that you had to go and source and pay for.
    It could be that you are getting married at the same venue and you are staying overnight anyway.Another thing to think about is if your wedding is at the same venue and you are not there overnight and you arrive in a opentop vintage then no one is going to see you as they will all be in the ceremony room, Ok you could think about you and your OH going for a spin after the ceremony to get your moneys worth, but there is so much to be done in the 1 1/2 hours between your wedding and the meal there is not really enough time.
    Its not so much a case of you have a nice car SO you can have pictures with it, but if you have spent out on transport then we are going to make sure its well covered in the photos, ok these photos do take up some time and if you didn't have a car then you will be having more time with family and friends.

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting married and having my reception at the same venue which is only a 20 minute drive from my house so I thought I could spend the £400 or so I had been quoted for a car better elsewhere.

As a result, my dad will drive me.

He has a fairly new (well 2 years old) BMW which is practically spotless inside (so no stains on my dress!). My OH said that as long as I put some white ribbon on it so it still feels like a wedding car I should do that.

My friend was VERY lucky and her mum's friend had bought about 3 months before her wedding a brand new, white, probably top of the range mercedes... so my friend was driven to her wedding in that. I think if you have the option to do something like this then it's a very good idea!

• Hide content

I should also add that it is sometimes just as important to get a shot if it is a relatives pride and joy, sometimes I will do an extra shot of just them with their car so that the bride and groom can give it to them as a thank you gift.
  • alabastamasta
    Beginner May 2014
    alabastamasta ·
    • Hide content

If I had my way, we'd just get taxis, but my dad has put his foot down and is booking cars - ah well!

• SunnyOrangeFlowers21
    Beginner August 2014
    SunnyOrangeFlowers21 ·
    • Hide content

Another one staying at the venue - my BM, Dad and I will be accompanied from the bridal lodge by a piper!

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

No cars for us! We're not staying at the venue but our wedding is on a weekday and our reception is on the following saturday so unless I want to drive around in it for 6 days, there doesn't seem a lot of point!!! Having said that, we do need to get to the venue, so we're going to book taxis the day before and get there that way. i've heard that if you ask the company, they will allow you to put ribbon on the cab so it still looks good.

• S
    Beginner September 2014
    Samantha91 ·
    • Hide content

My ceremony and reception are in the same venue and I only live 15 minutes away so I'm not bothering with cars. Just going in my step dads every day car with a ribbon on it. Smiley smile

• BlossomJ
    Beginner July 2014
    BlossomJ ·
    • Hide content

I'm staying the night before and my OH is being driven by his dad in his BMW 3 series - will add a bow so it looks nice! OH really wanted to drive himself and hire a nice car but he'll only be 22 and to hire some of the higher spec cars you have to be 25 ☹️ - he doesn't want to spend the money to just be chauffeured around!

• SecretlyEloped
    Beginner May 2014
    SecretlyEloped ·
    • Hide content

No cars for us. Were getting a taxi, and the Eurostar if that counts! ?

• S
    Beginner April 2014
    sophiesofa ·
    • Hide content

I don't know what to do about cars. I had initially planned on getting ready at home so would need some form of transport. I was thinking a wedding london cab (it is a london wedding). But am contemplating getting ready where my parents are staying - it's an 8 min walk away from the venue. I'm tempted to walk (might rain though) as I don't want to pay for a 2 min journey!! Thoughts?

• IGB2B
    Beginner May 2014
    IGB2B ·
    • Hide content

I wold really love to have a fancy wedding car; something vintage! But our reception venue is a 6 minute walk from the church. It seems a bit extravagant to get a car and I think we'll appreciate having a bit of extra money to spend elsewhere. I looked into getting a big red London bus to take my guests from the church to the reception venue, going on a mini tour of the London sights as well to give me and OH a bit of time to have couple photos, but I'm going to need permission from the Royal Parks etc and it looks a bit complicated...

• miss pickle
    Beginner June 2014
    miss pickle ·
    • Hide content

I will be walking as will my OH, we are staying a hotel the night before, which is about 5 minutes walk from our venue so we can't really justify paying for special wedding transport ;-)

Finger's crossed it doesn't rain though or it might have to be a taxi!

• Trish2014
    Beginner June 2014
    Trish2014 ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married at the venue and staying there the night before as well so need for wedding transport for us.

• FHB
    Beginner March 2014
    FHB ·
    • Hide content

My partner and his parents really wanted us to have a Daimler or Bentley for the wedding day but I really put my foot down and refused to waste money on something that was so insignificant to our special day. I could care less about getting pictures taken next to a car that doesn't belong to me or have some sort of sentimental reason. A lot of people have questioned this decision...but I really don't see the big deal. I do understand that some people dream of a horse and cart or a big flashy merc but I'd sooner use that money to spend more on something our guests will enjoy. We are getting a family friend to drive us in their nice car instead, which I am pleased about as he was really delighted to be asked to do it. Which means more to me.

• J
    Beginner September 2012
    Jo33 ·
    • Hide content

When my husband and I got married, as much as I loved the idea of having a special car to take me to the venue and to our reception venue, we didn't want to spend the money on a car for just 2 hours. So instead we used my car. My dad drove me there and drove us both to the reception. We had a friend take us home in his car and I collected my car the next day as it was a 5 minute walk to reception venue. I bought a ribbon and 2 bows from a shop at the end of the road I lived in, to decorate my car with.

• Hide content
    View quoted message

During the downturn what I saw was that the car was one one of the first big spends to be cut back.

You are right but its amost a sort of chicken or the egg scenario, as you don't have the car so that you can have a picture with it, but if you have spent all that money on one we are going to make sure you get pictures of it- or all of them like the photo on the other page.

The last wedding I shot had two vintage cars, but the bridesmaids ended up in a normal car anyway as theirs broke down. Didn't happen this time but I have ended up taking the bridesmaids on a number of occasions, imagine that - one minute you are in a vintage Rolls Royce and the next you are sitting with my camera bag on your lap

?

• Michael
    Nottinghamshire
    Michael ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

As the owner of a wedding car company it is sad to see how our service within the wedding supply industry is thought of with such little regard. So okay a lot of people these days may well have what they consider to be a flash car but it is most probably a car that can be bought any where up or down the country & certainly won’t be unique. The cost of hiring a wedding car is probably way down the scale of wedding costs after hiring some venues, and not even the most amazing of venues for prices of £15,000 for example before starting to think about food & drink & anything else but people don’t moan about that one! And a wedding cake costs more than the hire of a wedding car along with your aspects of your venue decks at prices like £275 for a flower hoop or the latest trend of a doughnut wall.

As for your comment re having had the bridesmaids in your car that may well be true in the difficult circumstances of the car going wrong on the day but I would add to that that on more than one occasion I have had wedding photographers in the wedding car because they have broken down or got stuck in snow. The very same applies to having had the makeup person or the hairdresser in the wedding car too after having been rescued by the wedding car driver so please don’t add your derogatory opinions re wedding cars being a waste of money these days because many people now have a nice car or a flash car. It also happens that a lot of people then ‘forget’ they had said they would do the cars for someone & would rather jet to the Caribbean or somewhere instead leaving the bride & groom high & dry. Or have you ever thought their car could break down too before or on the day? Of course photographers cameras never go wrong on the day either do they? And it is not unknown for couples to have next to no professional photos of the day even if carrying a spare camera! And yes I have seen it happen on several occasions where cameras fail. It won’t be long before photographers belong in the by gone age of brides & grooms ‘wasting’ their money on them & paying extortionate prices for packages when now days you don’t have to ‘borrow your uncle’s’ phone as everyone has got them so photos & videos are going to be taken by everyone all day & with excellent picture qualities these days & simple editing packages your services are quite likely to be a thing of the past & like the dodo ~ dead! I’ve already seen adverts going round on social media advocating just the very such & offer services of just gathering up, everyone’s shots & videos of the day & editing & compiling into X amount of minutes worth etc. So please think on before you decry the luxury or opportunity of booking the services of a wedding car provider because I would guess in all the wedding services other than the cost of buying & maintaining a wedding venue then buying, storing, maintaining, servicing, repairing by sourcing car parts for vintage vehicles, taxing, MOTing, fuelling & drivers our costs are way up there but we are one of the low costing options a couple may book for their wedding. Rant over!!!!!

• Sinéad
    Dedicated October 2022 Cork
    Sinéad ·
    • Hide content
    Hi
    We aren't having a car. We are having our wedding in a hotel so we have decided to stay there the night before and get ready there the day of the wedding. Our photographer is meeting us there to take pictures of us both getting ready.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics