Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MrsV-wasMissB
Beginner August 2015

Anyone ever regretted who they invited?

MrsV-wasMissB, 2 of June of 2015 at 15:24 Posted on Planning 0 13

Just wondering… Brides to be who can't undo an invite, surely I’m not alone? Or OMs that couldn’t undo an invite, how did it pan out?

It’s nothing serious… but… we have 2 mates (a couple) who in the beginning we did a lot with, going to gigs etc. they were invited from the save the dates in Feb 2014 and had the official invites in Feb 2015. Since we’ve been planning the wedding circa Feb 2014 less, they’ve not really wanted to know. well, not quite as “bad” as that but we feel put out all the time with them. I always text them asking them over for dinner, or asking them to be involved in the things we do. For example my birthday pub crawl on Sat they’ve now cancelled because of various things. She refused to come to my Hen do because she doesn’t want to travel on public transport and doesn’t want to stay in a hotel with someone she doesn’t know. I kind of get the latter but even so. I ask her over to meet for a coffee, I suggest going over there. 1 time out of 5 it may happen.

Both H2B and I feel that perhaps if they don’t like to spend time with us anymore they should just say. Its not a money issue (FB shows them forever on spa days, weekends away, concerts, etc) and its certainly not time. They work same hours as us thereabouts.

TBH we have friends we are “closer” to these days than them who are not coming to the day!

SIGH!

13 replies

Latest activity by layna91, 3 of June of 2015 at 17:51
  • halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

I think you're going to have to bite the bullet. It's unfortunate but that's life.

A couple of people who came to my wedding have disappeared off the radar despite numerous invites. No idea why but hey.

Don't worry about it too much. If you feel put out maybe ask her directly if there's something wrong. If there is have it out with her and see if that makes things better.

She may just not like hen dos (i don't particularly so have some sympathy). Make sure you don't bore her by talking wedding 24/7....

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

We've got the same, there's a couple that we used to see quite a lot, they had a save the dates over a year ago and we haven't seen them since. Secretly hoping they decline their invitation but if not then it's not a problem there were just other people I would have liked to invite instead.

• MrsV-wasMissB
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsV-wasMissB ·
    • Hide content

I don't ever s0ddin see her to bore her!! :/ LOL! And when I do see her I don't talk about weddings as she was married before and that was a sham. So she isn't into weddings.

I just said to my H2B (who has said we need to just give up with them, and accept the poor guest choice and loss of mates) I'm gonna try a few more times I June and if the same, I'm gonna just say forget coming to the wedding as its clear you don't wanna spend time with us, and we'll not bother being in contact in future.

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

No, you shouldn't uninvite someone.

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

What SW said

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

It is perfectly natural for friendships to change over time but no, you cannot uninvite them. You liked them enough in 2014 to want them there, but have changed your mind - that's not their fault and in actual fact, they haven't done anything to warrant being uninvited.

Maybe they've just been busy and couldn't make the days you wanted to see them on. They probably aren't sitting around waiting on your call now are they, any more than you're sitting around waiting for them. It doesn't sound as if they live that close to you and that can make making arrangements difficult -try calling them rather than texting and have an actual conversation - then you might find a date to see each other that suits you all.

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

No you cannot uninvited somebody that's hight of rude I am afraid. Do have to be blunt with you I think you need to have a serious think about your behaviour to make it that your friends want to avoid you like this. You mention growing apart because you don't see her I have a friend who I don't see one year to the next as we're not local when we finally meet up were like we never left each other that's true friends

• K
    Beginner August 2015
    Kr@zyburd23 ·
    • Hide content

We actually have 1 person that we'd like to un-invite but of course will not do so (for now anyway, her place is hanging by a thread right now lol) :-)

Sounds like your friends are the super busy type, are you sure its just not other plans that keep getting in the way of you meeting up? :-)

• MrsV-wasMissB
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsV-wasMissB ·
    • Hide content

Well, they live 3 miles down the road. I have called a few times and there's always an excuse. We last went to their birthday bash in Feb and had a great night with them, stopped over etc.

They are a busy couple, as are we, but you just know when you're being fobbed off. Friend wont visit anyone because she doesn't like to use any toilet that has not been cleaned by her first (I.e. her own toilet) which I understand is a "thing" for some people. But, it does get tiring being cancelled on all the time and getting "sorry no".

I have dear friends 80 miles away I see twice a year at best. But we are in contact and actively interested in each other.

All I'm saying is, you get a feeling. Shes always been a flakey type, but it's getting to me now so I've raised it with her. We shall see.

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Just out of interest, what would she have done at the wedding? Is it near her house?

How does she survive? Does she have to stay within a ten minute radius of her house AT ALL TIMES? God, surely you could get disability living allowance for something like this? Poor lass. It must be debilitating.

I think you should give her a break, she clearly has mental health problems, and could probably do without her friend being so insensetive.

?

• S
    Beginner February 2016
    SunnyGoldDiamonds80 ·
    • Hide content

Could you perhaps only invite them to the evening do rather than the full day?

• pink & glitz
    Beginner August 2014
    pink & glitz ·
    • Hide content

This is the reason why I don't believe in save the date cards. You can't uninvite someone, it's rude and they would also wonder why.

• kelly17687
    Beginner May 2016
    kelly17687 ·
    • Hide content

I don't think you can really uninvite people. It's a shame if you feel they are taking up places which other friends of yours can have but I think it's probably a bit late now.

If after the wedding they are still not making effort etc at least you can say tried and done the right thing.

xx

• L
    Beginner May 2017
    layna91 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

ive been married before...

and now engaged to be married for my second and last time !!!

im going to disagree with most and most certainly uninvite them...i would say out of the 80 day guests i had last time there were at least 20 that i regretted having there as within a couple of months after the wedding i realised i probably wouldnt see most of them again or very often at all.. when i think about the fact those people cost me around £80 a head it angers me beyond belief

as you say you could invite other people you are closer too or just save a bit of money !

this time round we are personally only having very close family in the day (around 40) and then other family and close friends in the evening,

my biggest regret last time was a year down the line looking at our wedding photos and realising half the people in them we hadnt seen since our wedding turns out it didnt last anyway but this time round i certainly wont be making the same mistake

i hope this helps Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics