Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R

Anyone familiar with Shackleford / Godalming area of Surrey

RedBerries, 16 July, 2009 at 20:27 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 7

My boyfriend and I are looking at a house in Shackleford, a small village near Godalming in Surrey. I'm not that familiar with the area, but does anyone know what kind of place it is to live?

It looks pretty quiet, and not sure of the feel of the village itself - is it a friendly area? I'm not a real villagey person, so my concerns are that it will feel old and frumpy! But are there any mid-30's people / young families around?

thanks!

7 replies

Latest activity by RedBerries, 16 July, 2009 at 21:14
  • CountDuckula
    Beginner August 2009
    CountDuckula ·
    • Hide content

Am very familiar with Godalming, it's my home town. Don't know Shackleford that well and I haven't lived in Godalming for years but it's a very sweet little village. Not sure what the age group is like. There's a small infants school there so I would imagine there a few young couples around.

• spacecadet_99
    Beginner
    spacecadet_99 ·
    • Hide content

I grew up in Godalming too although I haven't lived there for 6 years (hi CD!). Like CD I don't know Shackleford all that well but the area is prime commuter belt so I would imagine there is a fair few up and coming city workers around. It's not a cheap area to live but I'm guessing you already know that. Is your OH from there? Maybe CD and I went to school with him too - hitched appears to be a small world!

So in conclusion I can answer Godalming related questions better than Shackleford but as it's pretty close this may be some help? Let me know if there's anything specific.

• CountDuckula
    Beginner August 2009
    CountDuckula ·
    • Hide content

Double post

• CountDuckula
    Beginner August 2009
    CountDuckula ·
    • Hide content

? Haven't 'seen' you around for ages. I was going to suggest your name as someone else who might know what it was like there.

• R
    RedBerries ·
    • Hide content

Thanks - no my OH isn't from that area, neither of us are that familiar with that area but it tends to be well thought of and close to Guildford and Surrey Hills. Does Godalming have some decent shops and restaurants?

• CountDuckula
    Beginner August 2009
    CountDuckula ·
    • Hide content

Godalming is a lot better now than it used to be. The shops aren't all that great but then you've got Guildford for proper clothes shopping. There's lots of restaurants and a couple of good bars and pubs. It was pretty crap when I was growing up but it's a lot better now, I'd happily live there. Just avoid Farncombe. Like the plague ?

• spacecadet_99
    Beginner
    spacecadet_99 ·
    • Hide content

Restaurants - yes. Shops - depends what you mean. There's a lovely jewellery shop called Westwood Rocks and some boutique-y places, a Smiths, Boots, used to be a Woolies, an independent bookshop. Nothing really high street but then Guildford is a 10 minute drive from Godalming so everything you want in that department is there to be honest. Couple of decent theatres in both Guildford and Woking which usually get the tours of big plays etc (Guildford is called the Yvonne Arnaud, can't remember the name of the big one in Woking). You've also got Kingston a short hop up the A3 which always used to be good shopping-wise although I haven't been in years, and in the other direction Portsmouth for Gunwharf Quays. There's a good trainline from Waterloo - Portsmouth which has trains every 15-20 minutes most of the day although I'm not sure if there's a station at Shackleford.

• R
    RedBerries ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all your replies - I guess I'll have to go and check it out and see for myself, but it's good to get a few bits of insider knowledge first, so ta very much!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics