Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Ostrich
Beginner April 2005

Anyone from/know Castle Donington or the surrounding area?

Ostrich, 23 of September of 2009 at 15:31 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 6

MrOs has just been posted to Castle Donington with work, so looks like I'm now a weekday single parent of two under 3, plus I work three days a week so I can see I'll have to be super-organised to cope!

Anyway, he's been put up in a hotel and this will continue for a few weeks until he finds suitable accommodation. We've decided he should rent a cottage/house with a minimum of two bedrooms so the kids and I can visit every other week from Thurs to Sun. I'm obviously trawline RightMove, Prime Location, etc but not knowing the area, I find it a bit frustrating.

Is anyone from nearby? Or does anyone know the area at all? I've searched for the actual place and the surrounding 3 miles but feel I might be missing out on a stunning bargain that might be just 100 yards further!

6 replies

Latest activity by Specialkat, 28 of September of 2009 at 22:11
  • D
    DeDiva ·
    • Hide content

I have lived in Castle Donington for over 22 years so know the area really well. Your best point of contact is Housefinders Estate & Letting Agents on Borough Street in Castle Donington - they should be able to help. Also, have a look at the local news and information website for the area www.aboutmyarea.co.uk/de74 you will find Housefinders details on there as well lots of other useful information. Good luck!

• Zoay
    Beginner September 2013
    Zoay ·
    • Hide content

Hey Ostrich, you'll be near some lovely hitchers Smiley smile

How old are the kids? Do you need to factor in schools?

Otherwise, there are lots of nice places and nowhere nearby terribly dodgy springs to mind.

Feel free to post about any specifics you're wondering about.

Oh - and watch out for noise from the airport and the racetrack!

• Ostrich
    Beginner April 2005
    Ostrich ·
    • Hide content

DeDiva, thank you so much for all that useful information. I have already texted the details to MrOstrich!

Zoay, how exciting! Maybe we can arrange a meet at some point! I don't need to factor in schools because I'll be based in London with the kids and MrOs will be renting a place up there (I work three days a week), so we'll take in turns to travel up/down. Every second week I'll travel up with the kids (aged 3 and 18 months) on a Thursday and stay until either Sunday night or Monday morning.

Funny you should mention the racetrack, that's what he's about to start work on - the new racetrack!

• D
    DeDiva ·
    • Hide content

Pleased to be of assistance. I know quite a few people who work at the racetrack as well, mainly office based though - it promises to be quite a year and I'm sure MrO will have his work cut out for him! Don't hesitate to ask if you have any other questions - I've lived here a long time and know the place, people and surrounding area very well. Ask to speak to Richard Wetherall at Housefinders, he's the owner and a really nice man, and I'm sure will be able to help you - good luck with your search!

• Iris
    Beginner
    Iris ·
    • Hide content

I live new Donington. Rather than Don itself why not look close by? Kegworth is nice and is right at J24 so great for transport links from the south, it's about 5 minutes from Donington. Between Don & Derby there are some lovely places- Shardlow is nice and again about 5 mins from Donington. Sawley is about 5 minutes from Donington too and is right next to the canal and has a few pubs etc. I'd look anywhere close to junction 24 and 25, I live right next to 25 and it's a nice area with a pretty reasonably priced rental market. I was brought up near 24 so I know the area very well. Long Eaton is the nearest railway station and the town is OK, also then you're near both Notts & Derby and that they have to offer.

PM me (or are you on facebook? I am- have holio & chook as friends so they can tell you who I am) and I can give you an opinion on any potential properties or the area generally.

Another rental agency to look at is IMS residential.

• Purple Pixie
    Beginner July 2012
    Purple Pixie ·
    • Hide content

I'm fairly near to Donington too. I can't think of anything that the others haven't mentioned but if you want to run any place names by me when you find a potential house then I'd be happy to tell you my thoughts.

• S
    Beginner September 2003
    Specialkat ·
    • Hide content

Hiya

I am also from that area and can recommend some small villages the other side of Castle Donington.

I used to live in Belton and as well as that there is Isley Walton, Long Whatton, Diseworth, Osgathorpe, Belton itself and Hathern. All of them not very far from the racetrack and very lovely. I got married in Belton and that is why my OH's family is.

Happy to help thrash out some other names if you come across any you want to sound by us.

xxx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics