Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MrsPhelan2be
Beginner April 2016

Anyone getting married out of their parish

MrsPhelan2be, 2 of February of 2015 at 09:29 Posted on Planning 0 14

Hi

iv found a church and venue an hour away from my home and I'm not sure if this is even possible and what I need to say to the Rev. Is anyone doing the same and have some tips on what I need to do or say to the Rev.

thank u

Krystle

14 replies

Latest activity by rockinred40, 4 of April of 2015 at 08:25
  • kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content

I got marriedin a church first time round, and we couldn't have the one we first liked as neither of us lived in teh parish and we didn't attaned or have any connections with it. The second choice allowed us to marry there as the ex lived a long time nearby before he moved away, and his father and grandparents still lived there.

You could well find if neither of you have any connections with the curch/parish you will either not be allowed to use it, or will be asked to attend services for a certain amount of time before being considered. Just give them a call and ask what their conditions are for people from outside the parish

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

WSS ^^^

Speak to the vicar first though as he may be relaxed about it and just ask you to come to a few Sunday services. It really depends on the vicar as they can make exceptions.

if you go to your local church you might be able to get your vicar to speak to the vicar at the church you want to marry at.

• MrsPhelan2be
    Beginner April 2016
    MrsPhelan2be ·
    • Hide content

This church we like doesn't seem to have any contact details lol!! Iv googled and it comes up with nothing, maybe this is a sign.

The church is an hour away from home so I think the chances are slim but thank u for replying x

• J
    Beginner November 2015
    jesikab4u ·
    • Hide content

I am, but my nan and grandad live there and my mum and dad got married there. So I do have the connections.ni would talk to them if the have no detail maybe pop round there and have a chat.

• S
    Curious August 2015
    SoontobeMrsJ ·
    • Hide content

Our church is an hour away too- the vicar said we have to be "attending regularly for 6 months" to get married there. But for him regularly meant once a month. Actually it's been nice heading up there to get to know the vicar and church a bit more.

From my experience when there was a wedding venue close to the church, they seemed to be more lenient. This might not be true for all places though! And it may vary for Church of England/Catholic churches too.

• MrsPhelan2be
    Beginner April 2016
    MrsPhelan2be ·
    • Hide content

Thank u, I may take a visit up there on Sunday morning, the venue we want is next door so it all seems perfect. Thank u for all your advise x

• TreacleTart
    Beginner May 2015
    TreacleTart ·
    • Hide content

We're doing that, getting married outside our parish, in a church next door to our venue. We don't meet any of the criteria so we will be able to if we attend regularly. They told us we had to go just three times but we've been going about once a month since last summer, it's been nice cus everyone's dead friendly and it's been good to get a proper feel of the place and people. I know different places have their own different rules so best to discuss with that particular church directly. If there definitely aren't any contact details then yes, def attend a service and speak to them at the end. There's useful info about various criteria on the Church of England website too.

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

Try ringing the church of England enquiries line 0****

They might be able to find the contact details for you.

• N
    Beginner September 2016
    Natasha2016 ·
    • Hide content

I am getting married in a church an hour away from me, my venue is just down the road from the church.

We have no connection to the church what so ever BUT the Reverend said he would marry us if we go once a month for 6 months prior to the wedding. Its my dream :-)

• V
    Beginner September 2016
    Violet89 ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married outside of our parish - our home lies about 300m outside the parish boundary but we consider ourselves to live in the area where that church is and not the area of our parish(we live on the edge of the city centre). Vicar was really helpful and we just need to attend church for 6 months to become eligible which is easy as we get married September 2016 Smiley smile

• N
    Beginner September 2016
    Natasha2016 ·
    • Hide content

Boro_bride, do you still have to get your away banns read out by your parish church?

When are you going to start attending the church you are marrying in? We also get married in September 2016 and need to attend for 6months c

• V
    Beginner September 2016
    Violet89 ·
    • Hide content

We haven't met the vicar together yet but you do have to have that, they are read in the parish where you live and the one where you marry and at least one of you needs to be present at each reading. My fiancé has already been attending for 2 months ( he is Anglican and I am atheist/bad Catholic). This website is really useful for the practical aspects - not being from an Anglican background I had to learn all of this stuff too! http://www.yourchurchwedding.org xx

• LittleSnowflake
    Beginner January 2016
    LittleSnowflake ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married in a church which isn't our local parish. So we were told we had to attend once a month for six months to be able to get married there.

• rockinred40
    Beginner September 2016
    rockinred40 ·
    • Hide content

Can you just believe my luck the church I want to marry in, and I live just 1 road outside the parish boundary

The Vicar at the church said that he would marry me but as I had no connections to the church I would need to attend for 6mths before I can even chat about booking the church for the wedding

So since the end of Jan this yrs have been attending weekly Sunday services to become a member of the parish and the church

So only another 4 months to go.....TBH though it's going really quick

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics