Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

2013_Bride_
Beginner August 2013

Anyone got a tight fitting wedding dress around tummy area?

2013_Bride_, 8 March, 2013 at 10:55 Posted on Planning 0 7

My dress is meant to be quite tight until the top of the thighs, then it goes out a little (I guess its trumpet style?!).

When I picked it I was squeezed into a size smaller than I actually ordered, so it was pretty tight.

I also knew / wanted to lose weight so tried to not pay too much attention to my tummy sticking out!

Now I'm fretting that even when I've lost some weight, my tummy is still going to be sticking out loads.

Can anyone re-assure me that when I get the dress in the right size it will be more flattering? :-(

7 replies

Latest activity by 2b_MrsB, 8 March, 2013 at 12:35
  • tayto
    Beginner May 2013
    tayto ·
    • Hide content

Mine is tight around the tummy too and I did worry that my belly would stick out but it does have a bit of a gathering which I think disguises it a bit. I'd be fairly sure that when you get it in the right size, it will be flattering. If you are worried closer to the day, perhaps some pull-in magic underwear might work? Also, when you're getting fitted for it, you could ask the dressmaker to either move the buttons or, if its lace up, have it looser around the tummy?

• Unlikley Bride
    Rockstar July 2013
    Unlikley Bride ·
    • Hide content

Have as many fittings as you need and search out the right underwear and you will be fine :o)

Just don't ever compare yourself to the giraffes that model the dresses. The model for my dress must have a BMI of 15!!

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

Thanks. I'm just hoping that it won't be as 'tight' because it will actually fit!

Plus actual weight loss will help this too Smiley smile

You know when you just freak out about something? Its been bothering me for a while.

There is no point in trying on the sample again so I'm just trying to keep it together until my own dress, a size bigger, comes in!

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

LOL! Yes, same!

Good point RE underwear etc.

When I tried my dress on the 'fitting' person wasn't there (she's external!) so I couldn't even speak about options / have my mind put at rest.

We all thought my tum was just extra sticky out because it was so tight (we couldn't do it up at around the bra strap area at back etc! and you could see it gathering at hip area).

Should probably get on with the diet too, 21 weeks to go, 21llb to shift...

• tayto
    Beginner May 2013
    tayto ·
    • Hide content

Here's an 'out there' idea! Any chance you could find another shop with the size & style of dress you're getting so you can try that on? That way, if it is tight, you can start now to have a think about how to fix it or, if it's not, you can stop worrying? Just an idea!

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

No-where has it Smiley sad

This dress is from a shop an hour away as it is because I couldn't find it locally unfortunately.

• V
    Beginner September 2013
    Vix7913 ·
    • Hide content

I have a similar shaped dress, and the sample I tried on fit perfectly in the hips/tummy area but was way too bit up top! I think when it fits properly it pulls you in properly so shouldn't be too much of an issue.

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

My dress is of a similar style but my issue has sort of been the opposite of yours since I bought it off the peg and it was too big for me so the dress didn't have quite the same shape on me at the time as it would do when it was altered. so I was concerned that I would look fat once it was taken in and fitted.

I'm pleased to say that I shouldn't have worried as it looked even better when I went for my most recent fitting ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics