Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

cherry_bomb
Beginner

Anyone got any positive stories following being late for an interview?

cherry_bomb, 8 June, 2009 at 17:47 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 11

I'm so, so cross with myself.

I had an interview today for a fantastic job, but had written down the location wrongly and went to the wrong office, halfway across London to where I was meant to be - so I got to the right place about 20 minutes late. They couldn't have been nicer about it, and pushed the interview back a bit further so I had time to compose myself (having arrived sweaty and barely able to speak when I got there!), but it's pretty much rule number one of interviews to be on time, right? I think the actual interview went ok, but I was really flustered and convinced I'd blown it before it even began, so I probably didn't do as well as I could have done.

Has anyone ever been late and got the job? If you interview people for jobs where you work, would this mean you write them off automatically? I feel like a total idiot ☹️

11 replies

Latest activity by mothership, 8 June, 2009 at 18:54
  • SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't write them off completely. All other things being equal I'd choose someone who wasn't late, but I wouldn't let a simple mistake like that put me off a candidate who was otherwise suitable.

Poor you though, what a nightmare.

• F
    Beginner July 2006
    Fionka261 ·
    • Hide content

A girl who worked for us got lost and was late for her interview. There was lots of frantic phone calls trying to direct her to our building.

She did get the job though..... however she was a nightmare for the next couple of years working for us and never ended up where she was supposed to but she was great at her job!

Fingers crossed for you.

• Knownowt
    Knownowt ·
    • Hide content

More a grim story than a positive one, but here you go. My husband's friend B had an interview for a pupillage. Unfortunately on the way there he shat himself on the tube (nerves, apparently ?). rather than postponing he went to M&S, squelched into the changing room, got changed, put his dirty things in a bag and binned them, then got to his interview 20 mins late and got the pupillage. So it could be worse ?

My experience of interviewing people is that a huge amount of it is simply whether you click with them. If you do, you've got a good chance even if things go wrong. If you don't you never had a chance, so nothing you did made any difference.

• swedish leprechaun
    Beginner August 2006
    swedish leprechaun ·
    • Hide content

H turned up 24 hours late for an interview and still got the job. He was told Tuesday at 2 and it was Monday at 2, they rearranged to get an interview panel at short notice and gave him a fair hearing, oh and gave him the job.

• S
    Beginner November 2005
    Skittalie ·
    • Hide content

I was late for the interview for my last job, I went to the wrong site, duh, ended up being about half an hour late, still got the job

• cherry_bomb
    Beginner
    cherry_bomb ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all....perhaps there is hope! At least I didn't shit myself so clearly it could be worse ?

I felt as though I got on well with the man who would be my boss IF I got the job, but it was quite a formal, competency-based interview with two people though so I don't know if clicking will be enough.

I think I'm going to assume that I probably haven't got it, and then if I hear otherwise it will be a very pleasant surprise.

• Dr Doo.Little
    Beginner May 2007
    Dr Doo.Little ·
    • Hide content

My company are recruiting at the minute and apparently one of the 2 guys that made it to the second interview was late. They still favour him over the other guy because they thought he was better for the job and AFAIK are going to offer it to him this week.

• A
    Beginner July 2006
    audweb ·
    • Hide content

Once I went to an interview. The first time my car broke down and I had to phone to explain. They let me re arrange, and I got lost on the way, had to phone for directions and arrived about twenty mins late. They offered me the job Smiley smile There is hope!

• E
    emmali ·
    • Hide content

I was ridiculously late for a second interview after I got onto the M6 and the traffic just stopped. After I eventually got there, the disc for my presentation wouldn't work and the handouts I'd printed out had the company logo in the wrong colour as the red ink cartridge had run out.

The following day they offered me the job - apparently they'd been really impressed at how well I'd cope with everything going wrong.

• mothership
    mothership ·
    • Hide content

I was about 30 minutes late for an interview once even after leaving the house to arrive 30 minutes early. Traffic was a total b!tch, unusually so. I called ahead, maybe 15 minutes before my time slot to let them know. They were very good about it. I arrived half an hour late, drenched from the rain too and had to walk straight into the interview room. It went ok but I wasn't that focussed. At the end of the interview they did commend me for even thinking to call them to let them know and said it showed initiative and that I took the day seriously. Got the job too ?. Interviewers are only human (or so I've been reliably informed), they do know that life happens.

Good luck. Let us know when you hear?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics