Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner December 2010

Anyone had or know of someone who has got married abroad then had blessing later at home?! Help!

christinanz, 26 of October of 2010 at 12:03 Posted on Planning 0 13

Hello, I'm new on here and would appreciate hearing from or of anyone who has got married abroad and then later held a blessing or party for family and friends.

In a predicament, my fiance and I have been engaged since last Christmas Eve and weren't planning on getting married until Nov 2011 in UK. Three reasons - my family and friends live on the other side of the world, give them a chance to save and book flights; so we could save for the wedding we wanted; his job travels a lot and will settle down a bit around this time next year.

I've paid for half the dress and it's ordered and we have our venue picked and penciled a date in.

Now however we are considering having a very small, quiet, simple wedding around this Christmas in Cyprus (where we are presently living together) while both our parents are in the country and then later holding a party for family and friends. In UK in November 2011?!! There are many reasons for moving the wedding forward, but a rather important one being that I am unable to work in said country at present due to foreign passport, I can also no longer return to the UK to visit due to my visa having just run out. My options are stay here and not work while we are meant to be saving for our wedding and honeymoon or move back to the other side of the world to work and save and then not be together for months and months..

Is having the blessing a whole year later a complete sham? Does it take away some of the magic of the day if we do this? Would love to hear of similar stories or your thoughts.

Many thanks!!! x

13 replies

Latest activity by KEBO Jewellery, 29 of October of 2010 at 22:34
  • tahdah
    Beginner September 2009
    tahdah ·
    • Hide content

Do you know what I think a wedding with both your parents this christmas would be lovely. You don't need to stress about anything and it'll give people something to look forward to in the new year when you have your wedding after-party (not sure you would need to wait until November tbh). I would invite everyone that you would like to (as Cyprus may be within people's budgets) but also be aware that few may be able to come along due to the time of year. In the invitation you can let them know about your post-wedding party!

I think you should go for it if you're both happy to get married there Smiley smile

Although, we got married abroad we had most of our friends/family come to Portugal, we had a party on our first anniversary for friends and family. Two of my friends who got married abroad had a party exactly 1 month after they're wedding (mainly so they could still fit into their dresses ?)

• C
    Beginner December 2010
    christinanz ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your response Smiley smile

The reason we would wait until November for the after party would be because of the travel for his job, so November next year would really be the only time we could plan anything! If we were to have the wedding in Cyprus it would be more like just us and our parents. I know that my brothers and my bridesmaids would not be able to make it on that short notice as they would be travelling from the other side of the world. And while I have friends close by it wouldnt seem right having them there when those closest to me can't be if that makes sense?

I guess I don't want to miss out on the planning of something big and special with all our family and friends when they would be able to make it next year and November might be allowing enough time to do this and almost be like a one year blessing... I know it is very complicated.. I am very lost on what to do at the moment... Adding to it I have already paid for half a dress that wont be made by Christmas.. Smiley atonished

• delvesje
    Super November 2010
    delvesje ·
    • Hide content

I am getting married in Cuba on 9th November and we are having a reception party for friends and family a few days after we get back. we are away for 3 weeks. Really looking forward to it now.

• agentblackcat
    Beginner July 2011
    agentblackcat ·
    • Hide content

Hi there - my brother is just returning form Vegas today, they got married there and had no family with them. They are having a blessing and reception next weekend - can't wait. I think you do what you want to do its your wedding after all xx

• Snow Patroller
    Snow Patroller ·
    • Hide content

I don't think it would take anything away - I got married abroad, and then had a full on 'second wedding (but not legally binding, of course!!!) 3 days after we got back...

But with your situation, I think to maybe plan it a year to the day would be lovely!!... wouldn't be a sham at all, but you'd maybe like to consider it not looking like a 'wedding' but being more like a renewal of vows type thing, so not as full on? Of course if you wanted it full on then there is nothing wrong with that either!

Good like with whatever you decide on!

• C
    Beginner December 2010
    christinanz ·
    • Hide content

Thanks heaps for your responses guys! It's good to hear that it's not such an insane idea! I'm still not sure exactly what we will do but great to hear similar stories x

• L
    Beginner March 2010
    Lou0408 ·
    • Hide content

We got married in Mexico then had a reception when we got back. It was perfect. Do whatever feel right for you!

• A
    Beginner August 2011
    amythest76 ·
    • Hide content

My friends got married in vegas and only a handful of us went, I was her BM and so me, the best man and both sets of parents went...

I then came home with the best man with all their stuff and got the dresses cleaned etc ready for their party 3 weeks later...It was lovely and everyone got to see them in their wedding gear, they had a cake and photographer etc so it was just like a wedding reception.

She said it was the best decision ever as she had 2 weddings and the excitement lasted for weeks!!

they also know exactly where they will go for their 10th wedding anniversary!

• C
    Beginner December 2010
    christinanz ·
    • Hide content

So they had just a reception/party when they got back?

I'm looking at the idea of like a blessing and reception. But of course it would be very odd for me to wear the dress as would be almost a year on.. Actually the dress I've ordered won't even be ready for this Christmas Smiley sad So don't know whether to cancel it as it won't seem right to wear it almost a year on???!

If we had something this Christmas would be very low key, don't know if I'd even tell many people, just our parents would be there. Would see next year as our wedding celebration and this year as our special private commitment... Does that seem really wrong? Might help if I explain we will be spending up to 6 months apart next year already because of his job as it is (he's in the forces) which is part of why we can't plan anything until much later.

Also already asked Bridesmaid and Best Man so kind of completely counts them out if they are not here for Christmas and there is no bridal party for blessings (I think)...

Still battling it over in my head a lot!

x

• A
    Beginner August 2011
    amythest76 ·
    • Hide content

Yes they just had the reception when they got back...you could always have a small registry service to make it official with a small gathering at a pub/restaurant and then renew your vows one year on and celebrate it with a bigger party then??

It depends on what is important to you right now not what other people are going to think...we were meant to marry this yr but couldnt afford what we wanted so we postponed, however we cant afford the wedding and the honeymoon at the same time-its important for us to be married so the honeymoon wont happen until a year after the wedding..

xx

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

My SIL is Hungarian so they got married in Hungary in June 2009. They then had a party in England in Sept '09 which was nice but just felt like a party IMO. It was a lovely evening but would have been nice if they'd been in wedding attire (or at least something similar)

I think a samll ceremony and a blessing next year would be lovely

• Mrs S*
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs S* ·
    • Hide content

We got married in Turkey in September and had a reception 2 weeks ago for everyone else. Everyone who came to Turkey wore the same clothes so it felt the same. I wore my dress again. I vote go for it!

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Your plan for a blessing is something I have come across many times over the years. Don't worry about it in any way....you will have a blast planning the blessing.

• KEBO Jewellery
    KEBO Jewellery ·
    • Hide content

Hubby and I got married just the 2 of us on a beach in Thailand and then the week after we got back, we did it all again in the UK including a church blessing and then reception. It wasn't massive but we had everyone there that we wanted. I wanted to have my UK 'wedding' very quickly as I wanted to keep in the spirit of the wedding but that was just our personal opinion and everyone is different in their ideas and preferences. Do whatever makes you (and H2B of course!!!) happy.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics