Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

I
Beginner October 2013

Anyone have a chiminea or firepit?

Irisbride, 25 of April of 2013 at 22:32 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 8

I want to get something to generate some heat, so that we can sit out in our garden drinking wine in the evenings.... Our garden isn't south-facing so by about 4pm we don't have any more sun, so can get a bit chilly. I was thinking of a chiminea or firepit, rather than a patio heater, as OH reckons they use a lot of gas or electricity. I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on what works well...

8 replies

Latest activity by Toni, 19 of September of 2020 at 09:14
  • I
    Beginner October 2013
    Irisbride ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Jo. Have you got a chiminea? I saw that you can buy special chiminea burning blocks. Do you know if they are any good or better to stick to wood, charcoal etc?

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    SuperSpud ·
    • Hide content

We have a Chimnea, a cast iron one. I love it, as we like to sit outside on nice evenings, have a BBQ etc. We burn Chimnea logs but as we live near woodland, I sometimes bring home twigs and branches which have come down in the wind when walking the dogs. We also chuck on old newspapers and things like that.

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

My mum and dad have a cast iron chiminea and love it. The only downside is you stink after being near it. Smoke in hair and clothes.

• ashlil
    Beginner February 2011
    ashlil ·
    • Hide content

We have a cast iron chiminea its great, we use the chiminea fire blocks, or newspapers or letters that need destroying, they give out a good amount of heat but I prefer them to the firepits

though last year didnt get much use as the weather was so awful

• I
    Beginner October 2013
    Irisbride ·
    • Hide content

Thanks- definitely going to go and get us a chiminea now.....

• *Bea*
    Beginner October 2011
    *Bea* ·
    • Hide content

You can also get paper briquette makers to burn your unwanted paper etc. quite handy.

• I
    Beginner October 2013
    Irisbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ooooh, might be able to finally get rid of the huge pile of stuff for shredding that's been sitting in our garage!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Chimeneas are fabulous- my parents have one and they are getting us one as a moving in present.

Space heaters do use lots of gas (bottle not mains) I have never heard of an electric one but it would be hugely expensive to run.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics