Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mrs C
Beginner March 2011

Anyone have a wet room for their main bathroom?

Mrs C, 17 of September of 2012 at 21:19 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 33

I really want a nice walk in shower, but I also want to keep the bath but I am struggling to get it all into the space (in my head!).

Thought a wet room might be easier... or could just cause more problems later on!!!

33 replies

Latest activity by Mrs C, 18 of September of 2012 at 14:51
  • jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

Does this mean no bath if you have the wet room? I like them and they are very popular in Australia. If you have on you must get a professional as it must be sealed properly and watertight especially if upstairs, which I am guessing it is.

• Beez
    Beginner May 2016
    Beez ·
    • Hide content

I asked for a wet room but didn't get one. I'd definitely live one bit only put in by someone who's done them before - I hear about problems with them being watertight.

I don't think a bath would work in there, I think it's an either / or situation.

Hard to give up a bath permanently. Also think if you ever want to sell. Such a silly small thing but could put buyers off.

Secretly hope you do it though so I can see photos. [greenwithenvy]

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

Is it the only bathroom?

The parentals have a wet room for an en suite, which works really well. However they also have a traditional bath, sink, shower and loo in a family bathroom.

I think I would be put off a house if it didn't have a bath at all, if only whilst thinking ahead to bathing sprogs.

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    SuperSpud ·
    • Hide content

We have a wet room in our house, as it was my grandparents house, it was altered to accommodate their disabilities. I love it - no more cleaning the bath, or slipping in the bath. We have shower curtains which are suspeded from the ceiling and a special fan to extract the moisture from the room.

If I was viewing a house with a wet room, it wouldn't put me off - I no no-one now who has the time or the inclination for a bath, it's just taking up space in my opinion. Washing the dogs is easier too, as if they shake themsevles or run around it doesn't matter, it's all sealed.

The only problem is that the green "bobbled" floor murders mops when you clean it, we only seem to get 2 or 3 uses out of a mop.

I'm in work at the mo, but will post pics this afternoon when I'm home, if you like?

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content

We turned down a few rental properties because they only had a wet room. I like the idea, but not as the only option. Our pups run wherever they like in the house and we hate having doors closed, unless we're on the loo obviously!, so we would end up with wet dog smell all over the house.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

In our Singapore honeymoon hotel, there was a bath and wet room style shower area, all fairly compact and not in a conformation I'd seen before. Imagine looking at the long wall of a bathroom - bath on left, lengthwise along wall, tap end at left, then floor space to right of bath was the shower area, with wall on right. A glass screen pulled along a rail to either screen the end of the bath or enclose the shower area. It worked really well. Obviously, it didn't matter that one side of the shower area was open as it was only into the bath.

Not sure I've described it well, will look for pics.

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

Have to say I'd never buy a house that didn't have abath. In my time I have rejected several perfectly nice (otherwise) properties as they were "shower only" and would feel the same about a wet room.

Practical qu - how do you keep towels/loo roll etc dry in a wet room? Surely the proximity of the moisture pervades all things?

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

this but also, wet room with kiddies i dont see as being a good idea? so if you are considering mini mes then id say no to a wet room!

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    SuperSpud ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It doesn't in ours, we have this special fan (it does have a proper technical name, but I can't remember it) which we switch on before our showers and leave on for a bit afterwards - it removes the moisture from the room. I've never found our towels or loo rolls soggy (unless H has dumped his wet towels on top of the clean ones).

• Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

MrsC as Flow mentioned, it will become a nightmare with no bath for sprogletts. My friend recently had a baby and is really struggling without a bath. Its a lovely idea, but i dont think practically would work with future plans.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't want to get rid of a bath completely. My sister's two kids grew up with only a shower and it was a nightmare!!

Bathroom is currently a normal 3 bed semi - but with a separate loo. We plan to knock the two rooms together and move the door to make it bigger. The bathroom is currently 2.2m x 1.6m without the loo space (this probably makes no sense!!!).

Seen these images of the kind of thing I mean. Just not sure the space is big enough. Might have to just have the bath and have the luxury shower put in the loft if we ever extend up there.

This is all premature as we are still in sale negotiations!!!

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content

These are lovely. I think I'd prefer not step in the first one. It seems a bit pointless and is just something to stub your toe on when showering. The second one, I would have to have a slight step down into the shower, or at least a slant, because having a totally wet bathroom floor would do my head in.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

The second was my preferred choice. I think if there is a low rise tray and the bath and windowsills are sealed well / fully tiled it should be ok.

Will be my first bathroom with a window in 4 years!!

Rough sketch of plan!

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content

It looks good. By knocking through to the toilet, you have plenty of room for turning the bath round.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think there should be just... the room as it is is 1600mm, a standard bath is about 1700mm and we still need to be able to open the door!!

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

Also, if space is an issue and you can't fit both in, we just had our bathroom refurbushed and put in a showerbath. You know, one of those P shaped baths so one end of the bath is more spacious like a shower cubicle, but we still have a full sized bath.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We sort of have one of these now... it's an option.

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Could the door not open out into the hallway? Most separate toilets or small downstairs bathrooms that I've seen do it.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't think that would be very safe, the stairs would come up right in front of the door.

Wouldn't want to open it and send someone flying back down!!!

A sliding door might be an option though???

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

ive never found a sliding door that seems private and stable IYGWIM?

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeh definitely not a good idea then!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Probably the more expensive ones!!

http://www.pocketdoors.co.uk/unico_sd.htm

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I have as much as I can, the floor plan I have only has measurements for the main bathroom, not the loo bit so I don't know how big the finished room will be.

• *Bea*
    Beginner October 2011
    *Bea* ·
    • Hide content

Not sure if this would work but could you knock an arch in to separate toilet room so it faces into main bathroom and tile that out as separate wet room? Move the toilet into main part of bathroom? So you have a walk in large shower?

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That could be an idea, not sure how easy moving the loo will be though?

These are all great ideas though ladies, thank you!!!

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We totally re-modelled our bathroom last year and we moved everything around- including the loo. It should be ok to move it, but I think you normally need it to be near an external wall for the waste to flush away properly.

We wanted a wet room, but we also wanted under floor heating so were advised against it. Instead we have a double low profile shower tray, and a double shower screen, so it looks like a wet room but isn't technically.

• N
    Beginner January 2008
    niche79 ·
    • Hide content

We live in a duplex and our toilet is internal, has no external walls at all, so I dont think this is always the case.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

That was my thinking. Mr C is good at DIY and completely re-fitted our current bathroom but we just put everything where the previous stuff was so no major pipework involved...

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

Ooooh! Does this mean you've found a buyer Mrs C?

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Possibly... we have an injtial offer and are in negotiations... Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics